Maintaining your tank with disabilities.

I just live with my back issue since we have tried everything to help and it comes down to trying surgery which I refuse to do.

At age 12 I had an accident which injured my back. The doc told my parent to put me in bed for a week. Fast forward about 25 years and I was having serious bck pain if I lay flat for any length of time of stood without moving much for any amount of time. So Ithey did an MRI and discovered the following.
1. That accident at age 12 actually was that the L5 vertebrate had been fractured clean through on both sides.
2. Age and arthritus had also caused it to become deformed.
3. The above caused stenosis in the spine in that location.
4. It was likely and later proved to be the case that the disk below the L5 was gone. "L5-S1 Disc: A cushion pad sitting between the L5 bone and the sacrum. This joint handles heavy body weight and movement."

Form most folks with back issues, sitting causes a lot of pain. For me it was the opposite, walking and standing cause intense pain after a shprt time. But, if I sat the pain stopped. As long as this was the case I opted not to risk surgery.

Fortunately, in the ensuing years since the diagnosis the L-5 has fused to the sacrum which has reduced the pain but not eliminated it.

For thoise of us with issuesthat impede what we can do and.or cause us pain we have two choices. One is we accept the shortcoming and learn to lead an enjoable life the best we can manage, the other otpion is to be miserable and feel sorry for iurselves all the time. The only other alternative is not an option for most of us.

I have COPD because I smoked for 47 years before I quit at age 62. In the last 13 years I have had open heart surgery, a hip replacement and COPD flaring up to the point of being hospitalized. I also managed to get prostate counter go into remission. I have ben good in that respect of over 4 year now.

If I am ever diagnosed with serious cancer the first thing I will do is to buy a pack of cigarates. I quit about 16 years ago and I still miss it. But, If I am going to die from cancer, I plan to have a cigarette in my mouth when I do.

Most of us have our health issues/disabilities. How we handle them is up to us. I am not at all religious but I greatly appreciate the opening verse of the Serenity Prayer:

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change
the courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference.
 
I can't believe I have never owned one of these. Enomol Water Change Kit £35 from Amazon.
I have just carried out a 50% water change without lifting a bucket. I have done a small video clip of it working.

I tried to upload the video, but I can't see it.
 
I can't believe I have never owned one of these. Enomol Water Change Kit £35 from Amazon.
I have just carried out a 50% water change without lifting a bucket. I have done a small video clip of it working.

I tried to upload the video, but I can't see it.
I don't know that brand over here, but aren't hose kits a game changer? I have buckets, but not for transporting water. I let my good friends gravity and water flow do all the heavy lifting.

A word of advice, do not ever let yourself become distracted or leave the room for a minute while refilling. Please don't ask me what I base this on.
 
A word of advice, do not ever let yourself become distracted or leave the room for a minute while refilling. Please don't ask me what I base this on.
Hahaha, been there, done that!
This kit worked a treat; it's so simple and is definitely a game-changer.
 
I’m not really with any disabilities, other than I hated slupping water buckets I now have a pair of diaphragm pumps , one pumps the water out ( to the drain, via a line I ran to the drain ), and one pumps the RO water from my holding tank, I do roughly 1/3 water changes on my 55 gallons in 10 minutes, at the push of 2 rocker switches ( this is in my main fish area in the basement )

my hard water tanks on the other side of the house, on the main floor, I pump the water out of the tank through a garden hose to an apple tree in the yard close by, and refill with one of those expandable hoses ( just easier to snake through the house to my well water hookup, and it easily shrinks up and is easy to store in a 5 gallon bucket )

another option , is to find a tank person to do as much of the chores as you can’t do…. an old fish buddy used to hire out to a quadriplegic once a week to maintain his large aquariums, as they both liked the fish , my buddy didn’t charge much to algae scrape, and change water…
 
Last edited:
I'm lucky that my downstairs bathroom door is right opposite my lounge, so for now using a bucket is fine. However, I may see if I can find a plastic bucket on wheels that I can use in the future (like a mop bucket sort if they do them). Other than that, I may have to get my bathroom tap changed as well and just get one of these wonderful things.
 
You may not have to change the tap, depending on its design. I was able to buy an inexpensive tap adapter, designed for attaching garden hoses. Every decent sized hardware I checked had a few. I unscrewed the aerator and replaced it with the adapter. You just have to get the right threads and then live with a clunky looking piece on the tap. No one ever noticed here.
 
Python also has a line of adapters and I have them all. When I would be a vendor at a weekend fish event I needed to be able to get a volume or water into and out of tanks from the hotel system. I also needed to be able to run my portable RO/DI unit in my room. So I needed to able able to connect to a number of different taps.

However, when I was fially able to create a dedicated fish space in a part of a storeroom we have in our second bulding where the rest of it was a huge guest space with a bathroom, I needed to install a utility sink. I bought the faucet system and the sink at Home Depot. Once I had selected the faucet I went to the plubbing department as had a sales man work with me to find the dapater I needed to convert the faucet output so iw would connect to garden hose connectors which Python hoses also use. Further, I put plastic/PVC connectors on my pumps to do the same singe thing.

They also make this univeral adapter which fits a lot of caucets but not 100% or them.
610OsG4+GbL._AC_UL480_QL65_.jpg
 
What is the purpose of using the blue bucket rather than refilling into the tank?
I have a ‘homemade’ version of what you use, without the bucket. I put dechlorinator into the tank before refilling.
I always have my fresh tap water sitting in a tote for atleast 10-15 mins after adding dechlorinator. Not sure if there is a benefit but it gives my peace of mind incase of a sudden influx of anything that can harm the fish.
 
What is the purpose of using the blue bucket rather than refilling into the tank?
I have a ‘homemade’ version of what you use, without the bucket. I put dechlorinator into the tank before refilling.
As MattW says, it's all about mixing the water dechlorinator in the blue bucket rather than the tank. It's no hassle and ensures the water's sorted before it goes in.
 
I'm lucky that my downstairs bathroom door is right opposite my lounge, so for now using a bucket is fine. However, I may see if I can find a plastic bucket on wheels that I can use in the future (like a mop bucket sort if they do them). Other than that, I may have to get my bathroom tap changed as well and just get one of these wonderful things.
There are half a dozen different fittings in the kit that would suit 90% of taps.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top