FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
... and came home with a goldfish.

So it is illegal to release it after I caught it, so I ended up taking it home.

It is a wee little baby, they are invasive in our waterways, they breed as well here.

I've got him inside for now, to get him used to eating prepared foods, and under deworming treatment, then he will go outside in our small pond. We are looking to buy a house within this year, with having a pond planned, so he will have somewhere to go when he gets bigger (he is a comet)

I've named him Neowise, after the recent comet. Since he is a comet goldfish.

Photo of him in a cup during travel and acclimation
20200731_173126.jpg
20200731_153058.jpg

His TEMPORARY home
20200731_222719.jpg

Where I caught him
20200731_153604.jpg

He is literally super tiny, like neon tetra tiny.

@Deanasue

It's usually a bad idea to mix comets and fancy goldfish together. Comet goldfish can outcompete the fancies for food.
I will pick him up a comet companion from the feeder tank then if he makes it after a few weeks :D

Lots of duckweed, I am going to collect some this weekend. Interesting little fish. I usually catch catfish in swampy areas like that.

Lots of duckweed and surprisingly riccia moss!

No catfish, but mudminnows and sticklebacks are very common besides the goldfish.

Well actually he is a common goldfish, learned that comets have longer tails.

But the name for him still stands haha

He is too small for my Hikari Goldfish pellets and he isnt touching the spirulina flakes, but he IS eating the tiny size of micropellets. So transitioning to prepared food over wild foods i think should be fairly easy for him.

I know relatively little about goldfish care other than they get big, are more herbivore on the omnivore side and that they're social and like company of other goldfish. Also no heater mostly. So been doing a crash course for the more definite details.

Very conflicting info on tank sizes though.
I plan on bringing the fish indoors during the cold months. What size tank will 2 commons/comets need? What sized pond should I look at to build when we move for a more "permanent" pond instead of a tub pond we have here.

Last edited:
... and came home with a goldfish.

So it is illegal to release it after I caught it, so I ended up taking it home.

It is a wee little baby, they are invasive in our waterways, they breed as well here.

I've got him inside for now, to get him used to eating prepared foods, and under deworming treatment, then he will go outside in our small pond. We are looking to buy a house within this year, with having a pond planned, so he will have somewhere to go when he gets bigger (he is a comet)

I've named him Neowise, after the recent comet. Since he is a comet goldfish.

Photo of him in a cup during travel and acclimation
View attachment 111380View attachment 111381

His TEMPORARY homeView attachment 111382

Where I caught him
View attachment 111383

He is literally super tiny, like neon tetra tiny.

@Deanasue
Adorable! He’s actually a Common, not a Comet. He’s about 2-3 months old. They don’t show color until about 8 weeks. He can eat regular small pellet goldfish food now. Good job!

Boiiii! That is one duckweededed (yes, that is a word) pond!

He is so cute! :wub:

I will pick him up a comet companion from the feeder tank then if he makes it after a few weeks :D

Lots of duckweed and surprisingly riccia moss!

No catfish, but mudminnows and sticklebacks are very common besides the goldfish.
Stickleback is an interesting fish, they are an invasive spiese here. I caught one in the stream below my house and kept him for about a year,

Adorable! He’s actually a Common, not a Comet. He’s about 2-3 months old. They don’t show color until about 8 weeks. He can eat regular small pellet goldfish food now. Good job!
Whoa! Just read that you said he’s about the size of a neon. He may only be 7-8 weeks.
Yeah he is really small! ive got him to take the smallest size of bug bites and this morning he is picking at the duck weed too.
After some reading yeah I realized he was a common due to the stubby little tail. But i am going to pick up a comet/common from the feeder tank at the store as a buddy for him. I'll end up treating both for parasites to be safe anyways.

Boiiii! That is one duckweededed (yes, that is a word) pond!

He is so cute! :wub:
Duckweed flourishes haha I wish I could get it to look nice but i end up killing it in my tanks. Jealous of the pond haha.

Stickleback is an interesting fish, they are an invasive spiese here. I caught one in the stream below my house and kept him for about a year,
Ours here are native, the Brook Stickleback. Really cool fish. I netted some of those scooping plants too, actually abundant this year with a total of 21 netted, but I released them because they're native and species of special concern. Males have some pretty colour to them. But really neat fish.

I need a fishing license to keep any of our "baitfish" including sticklebacks. Id love to keep these neat guys, but particularly I want a mudminnow! Love them

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back