Well What Would You Have Done...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
...bought him or resisted?

Will try and get a better picture in due course, but this is my latest boy, as of 16th March, sorry but just couldn't help it.

Attachments

• P1060934_Copy.JPG
    P1060934_Copy.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 291
Probably resisted but just because I don't keep splendens anymore.  I had a weak moment the other day and bought one of the "baby" bettas.  In my defense it was a much bigger baby than all the others and had to be close to 3 months old.  At the moment he is a cellophane butterfly with purple/blue butterfly pattern on his fins.

CAM00891-1_zpsd672ca62.jpg

Your new guy seems to be a real beauty though and I can tell why you couldn't resist him.  :)    Can't wait to see more pics of him.

He's a beautiful colour! Is he in a tank on his own or with tank-mates?

He is in a divided 5 gallon with the other male splenden I still have.  So far it is working out quite well.  :)

Mamashack said:
He's a beautiful colour! Is he in a tank on his own or with tank-mates?

Thanks.  He is on his own at present i.e. in Quarantine.

Wildbetta said:
Probably resisted but just because I don't keep splendens anymore.  I had a weak moment the other day and bought one of the "baby" bettas.  In my defense it was a much bigger baby than all the others and had to be close to 3 months old.  At the moment he is a cellophane butterfly with purple/blue butterfly pattern on his fins.
[picture removed]

Your new guy seems to be a real beauty though and I can tell why you couldn't resist him. 
smile.png
    Can't wait to see more pics of him.

Yes, those weak moments creep up on us don't they?!  Your boy looks pretty it will be interesting to see him grow.  Do you know what sort of fin-age he is going to have e.g. Halfmoon?

Thanks re: my guy, he appears to be metallic i.e. a potential dragon, but like yours he seems to be just a baby right now as he is very small, so unsure how he will fully develop at this stage.  I do believe he is a Plakat though, which I have become rather fond off as a type.  I am sure there will be more pictures ...

Wasn't the dragon Betta bought about by introducing the wild lines into the Betta Splendens?  How many wilds do you have?  What attracted you to them?  I know there are some stunners in the wild groups too.

Actually they are both lovely looking fish. I had one several years ago - a dark blue one and he was gorgeous! However, a couple of not-so-angelic angel fish ate his fins off overnight and he looked like an apple core when they'd finished! They went back to the LFS pronto! His fins started to grow back, but unfortunately I lost him about 6 weeks later.
The reason I asked about the housing is I've been thinking about getting another, but I'm not sure if a male betta would be better in its own tank or with tank-mates given that they can either be the aggressor or the aggrieved. Have read different threads and am not really much wiser. I know that they shouldn't really be kept in too small a tank - the concensus seems to be 3-5G minimum.
What are your opinions re tank size and tank-mates, RCA & Wildbetta?

I will be back later, but in the meantime take a look at my profile for some of the "Betta Friends" that are in with mine, and what they are generally kept in.  As with anything, get the biggest tank you can as maintenance is easier.  I picked up a UFO350 for £20 off Gumtree and it sits to the left of me on my desk next to the computer.  It looks great and is a good size without being too large.  The male in my profile is housed in it with an Aqua Internal 100 from Maidenhead Aquatics, this is a good filter as you can adjust the flow and it has a spray bar attachment, which I have pointing towards the rear so that the Betta does not have too strong a current.

What sort of Betta are you thinking of getting?

RCA said:
I will be back later, but in the meantime take a look at my profile for some of the "Betta Friends" that are in with mine, and what they are generally kept in.  As with anything, get the biggest tank you can as maintenance is easier.  I picked up a UFO350 for £20 off Gumtree and it sits to the left of me on my desk next to the computer.  It looks great and is a good size without being too large.  The male in my profile is housed in it with an Aqua Internal 100 from Maidenhead Aquatics, this is a good filter as you can adjust the flow and it has a spray bar attachment, which I have pointing towards the rear so that the Betta does not have too strong a current.

What sort of Betta are you thinking of getting?

Not sure yet. The one I had before was a splendens with beautiful diaphanous fins (until they got eaten!) I've heard before they don't like too much turbulence. Got an Aqua One startup 30L tank just starting to be cycled as we speak (day 3). When it's fully cycled would it be cruel to keep one on his own in there? It was ostensibly for some of the platy fry overspill, but it's about the right size for a solo betta - just not sure whether it's good to keep them on their own. Mine was in a community tank before.
Got a lot of thinking to do whilst the tank cycles. Platy mama usually reduces some of the new fry numbers in her post-natal feast - she's due this week sometime. I keep them in the main tank - survival of the fittest and fastest with me!
Had a look at your profile - you have loads!!! Will have a good look later and thanks for your interest!

Wildbetta said:
He is in a divided 5 gallon with the other male splenden I still have.  So far it is working out quite well. 
smile.png
ROFL  I didn't check to see who the OP was before answering the question that prompted this answer.  So sorry since it wasn't directed at me. 
blush.png

RCA:      As far as my little guys and his finnage type--I am not real sure at the moment.  I believe he will be either a delta of some sort or possibly a HM because I am pretty sure he has more than just 2 rays in his caudal fin.  As far as the dragon type -- I think that was a result of breeding that came about when a fry first showed the scaling that resulted in the dragon appearance not so much breeding with wilds for it.  While dragon scaling is beautiful it does come with some issues of its own -- the scales can grow over the eyes and there has been talk of them being more likely to have cancerous growths as well.  I got into wild types after reading a lot on another forum and seeing the pics of those people's wilds.  There are many types of wild betta and each one has its own "coolness".  I stick with the mouthbrooders which tend to have smaller spawn size for one and seem (at least to me) to be easier to raise.  I currently have 4 different species of wild bettas and had up to 7 species at one time.  As for how many in total I have....I would say 8 adults (split between 3 different species), 10 juvies(one species), and about 50 fry(of one species) SO total would be almost 70 at the moment AND the 2 splendens.

Mamashack -- I fully recommend keeping bettas in a solitary enviroment for the most part.  There are situations of female sororities with multiple female bettas and there are situations of people keeping their male bettas (or female) in a community tank with "no problems" but bettas are solitary by nature so they are better alone.  This is coming from my want for the best for the individual fish itself.  There are some males that are so aggressive they will not tolerate even a snail in their tank, others are terribly stressed by other living things to the point they eat their own fins and get sick, and others don't really care at all but you won't know which type you are going to get so it is better to go with keeping them separate to lessen the stress.  Also if you are concerned about the filter flow -- I suggest a sponge filter VS a hang on or internal filter -- they have light flows and seem to work out excellent with bettas. 

Mamashack said:

[deleted text] ...What sort of Betta are you thinking of getting?

Not sure yet. The one I had before was a splendens with beautiful diaphanous fins (until they got eaten!) I've heard before they don't like too much turbulence. Got an Aqua One startup 30L tank just starting to be cycled as we speak (day 3). When it's fully cycled would it be cruel to keep one on his own in there? It was ostensibly for some of the platy fry overspill, but it's about the right size for a solo betta - just not sure whether it's good to keep them on their own. Mine was in a community tank before.
Got a lot of thinking to do whilst the tank cycles. Platy mama usually reduces some of the new fry numbers in her post-natal feast - she's due this week sometime. I keep them in the main tank - survival of the fittest and fastest with me!
Had a look at your profile - you have loads!!! Will have a good look later and thanks for your interest!

Wow you use big words, I had to look some of them up to understand you
blush.png
!  By "diaphanous fins" do you mean transparent fins?
The reason I asked which fin-age type you were thinking of is that I have experience of a few now so wanted to see what your preference was rather than influence you in anyway. 

Out of interest which Aquaone start-up do you have?  30L is the same size as my UFO350.
Bettas are used to being kept on their own so no it is not cruel.  You might want to consider some clean up crew for the bottom though as well.
All my boys are different, some hated certain other fish, whereas the others accepted them, so always be prepared to try something with them but have somewhere to re-home the "friends" if the Betta does not care for them.

Re: having loads, I am afraid I now suffer from MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome), all because the Betta boys are addictive and they all need their own homes.
Your welcome re: having an interest as it is good to share what we know so everyone benefits, not least of all the
fish.gif

Oh and "ostensibly" = seemingly?
smartass.gif

Let me know where you are in South Yorkshire as you can see I am East Yorkshire - you can PM me that info., if you prefer.

Wildbetta said:

He is in a divided 5 gallon with the other male splenden I still have.  So far it is working out quite well. 
smile.png
ROFL  I didn't check to see who the OP was before answering the question that prompted this answer.  So sorry since it wasn't directed at me. 
blush.png

RCA:      As far as my little guys and his finnage type--I am not real sure at the moment.  I believe he will be either a delta of some sort or possibly a HM because I am pretty sure he has more than just 2 rays in his caudal fin.  As far as the dragon type -- I think that was a result of breeding that came about when a fry first showed the scaling that resulted in the dragon appearance not so much breeding with wilds for it.  While dragon scaling is beautiful it does come with some issues of its own -- the scales can grow over the eyes and there has been talk of them being more likely to have cancerous growths as well.  I got into wild types after reading a lot on another forum and seeing the pics of those people's wilds.  There are many types of wild betta and each one has its own "coolness".  I stick with the mouthbrooders which tend to have smaller spawn size for one and seem (at least to me) to be easier to raise.  I currently have 4 different species of wild bettas and had up to 7 species at one time.  As for how many in total I have....I would say 8 adults (split between 3 different species), 10 juvies(one species), and about 50 fry(of one species) SO total would be almost 70 at the moment AND the 2 splendens.

Mamashack -- I fully recommend keeping bettas in a solitary enviroment for the most part.  There are situations of female sororities with multiple female bettas and there are situations of people keeping their male bettas (or female) in a community tank with "no problems" but bettas are solitary by nature so they are better alone.  This is coming from my want for the best for the individual fish itself.  There are some males that are so aggressive they will not tolerate even a snail in their tank, others are terribly stressed by other living things to the point they eat their own fins and get sick, and others don't really care at all but you won't know which type you are going to get so it is better to go with keeping them separate to lessen the stress.  Also if you are concerned about the filter flow -- I suggest a sponge filter VS a hang on or internal filter -- they have light flows and seem to work out excellent with bettas. 

OK re: you answering, I am not
angry.png
as always happy to share, the more the merrier 
yay.gif

Thanks for the info., I may PM you sometime to learn more from you as I do not want to hijack my own post and I have a Juwel Vision 180 pending action
w00t.gif
.  Although I actually have some ideas now of what I plan to do with it, but that is for another time
cool.png

Mamashack -- I believe that WildBetta is saying the same sort of thing as I previously said, that each male is different, we are just coming from different angles on it.  I have found some of my Betta boys have benefited from other activity in with them, but alas each one to their own as to how they adapt. 

New picture as promised, I am sure there will be more in the future, as he grows and matures.
He has a feisty nature, which is why I liked him.

Attachments

• P1070112_Copy.JPG
    P1070112_Copy.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 212
RCA said:
Wow you use big words, I had to look some of them up to understand you
blush.png
!  By "diaphanous fins" do you mean transparent fins?
The reason I asked which fin-age type you were thinking of is that I have experience of a few now so wanted to see what your preference was rather than influence you in anyway. 

Out of interest which Aquaone start-up do you have?  30L is the same size as my UFO350.
Bettas are used to being kept on their own so no it is not cruel.  You might want to consider some clean up crew for the bottom though as well.
All my boys are different, some hated certain other fish, whereas the others accepted them, so always be prepared to try something with them but have somewhere to re-home the "friends" if the Betta does not care for them.

Re: having loads, I am afraid I now suffer from MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome), all because the Betta boys are addictive and they all need their own homes.
Your welcome re: having an interest as it is good to share what we know so everyone benefits, not least of all the
fish.gif

Oh and "ostensibly" = seemingly?
smartass.gif

Let me know where you are in South Yorkshire as you can see I am East Yorkshire - you can PM me that info., if you prefer.

Mamashack -- I believe that WildBetta is saying the same sort of thing as I previously said, that each male is different, we are just coming from different angles on it.  I have found some of my Betta boys have benefited from other activity in with them, but alas each one to their own as to how they adapt. 
Rofl! Sorry I do tend to waffle on a bit!!
By diaphanous I meant long and floaty and I guess he was a veil-tail - I'm still getting used to all the different finnage and terminology!
By ostensibly I meant to all intents and purposes it started out going to be a fry overspill tank, but things change and it may well become a betta tank instead if I decide to go that route. Soz for the confusion!!

It's the Aquaone Start 320 I have which is about a foot cubed more or less.

Thank you both for your opinions. I feel reassured that a male betta would be ok on his own and will give it some serious thought before deciding.
I've been looking at the website Bubbles and Bettas just to get some idea of the different types and I rather like the look of the Plakat which I understand are more disease-resistant than some of the others. I did love my Veil Tail tho when I had him so I can't really make my mind up. I suppose I ought to consider what is easily available as a start. What do you both think?

And last but not least, I'm in a little village near Barnsley.

Mamashack said:
Rofl! Sorry I do tend to waffle on a bit!!

By diaphanous I meant long and floaty and I guess he was a veil-tail - I'm still getting used to all the different finnage and terminology!
By ostensibly I meant to all intents and purposes it started out going to be a fry overspill tank, but things change and it may well become a betta tank instead if I decide to go that route. Soz for the confusion!!

It's the Aquaone Start 320 I have which is about a foot cubed more or less.

Thank you both for your opinions. I feel reassured that a male betta would be ok on his own and will give it some serious thought before deciding.
I've been looking at the website Bubbles and Bettas just to get some idea of the different types and I rather like the look of the Plakat which I understand are more disease-resistant than some of the others. I did love my Veil Tail tho when I had him so I can't really make my mind up. I suppose I ought to consider what is easily available as a start. What do you both think?

And last but not least, I'm in a little village near Barnsley.

No problem thanks for explaining ...

I have a Crowntail in an Aquastart 320, so your Betta would be fine in there.

You can get some lovely looking Plakats, and the boy above is a Plakat.  I do like them as I do find them to generally be more active, whereas the heavier tailed varieties have to rest.  That said my Halfmoon (as in my profile picture) is always on the move, and my Crowntails tend to be fairly active too, but the Plakat seems to have less problems as you say.

This is my other Plakak, a lovely boy who I now have two gorgeous females for, as I hope to have a go at breeding them.  Lots to sort out though before hand.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:68879]

What a lovely fish he is - my favourite colour too!! Where did you get him?

The main boy in this post is from my LFS, they know my weakness and now get lots of nice fighters in!

I will PM you re: the Lavendar Halfmoon, Dumbo Butterfly Plakat info.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back