WalMart blows....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

cation said:
BettaMomma said:
I hate that you had to start out posting in this icky, icky topic.
If it's so icky, BettaMomma, why are you coming back for more?
I am not going to start having another argument with you.

The thread turned icky when everyone's claws came out.
period.

cation said:
SRC, I don't know if we've been at opposite ends of the board or what, but it's good to see you. Take care, girl.

Okay. NOW I'm outta here! :p
Good to see you too Cation.

hehe I haven't been around alot lately. I have had my nose buried in a pile of needles, string, and fuzzy fabric :lol:. I kinda got burnt out on the whole internet thing for a couple months. I needed a break...but I missed it so I will prolly be around a little more now :D.

And you're right...I too choose what I want despite what the popular majority is voting on..if it goes along with what they are, great..if not..whatever ;). You gotta live for you and what you think is right.

L8rs :*

Well...what a thread! not so sure on the original point of it was though, it seemed that people were just having a general bash at each other for saving bettas and then it turned into a more "if you don't make a scene or complain to the store when buying sick betta you are a useless betta saver" kind of thing, not sure all the bashing aimed at BM was for i would have thought she would have been a prime example of what people should be doing- she does alot more than just come on here and complain/rant about betta cruelty but anyways....
...."sigh"
I think everyone's kind of come to some sort of mutual agreement on saving bettas and we gotta do more than just buy the betta and then rant on the forum about it, rantings fine but somtimes i do get the feeling people just do it for the atttention("cough" im seriously not pointing any fingers at people though, can't be arsed to get into that), but we also got to work together as a group.
Anyone else got anything more to add on this?

This reminds me a *lot* of discussions on dog/cat forums... its like,some people go to puppy auctions/pet stores and buy pups from puppy mills to save their lives. It DOES save that puppies life, which is wonderful, but it doesn't help that puppy's siblings, their parents,or their countless relatives and other dogs that are neglected abused and overbred for the rest of their lives.. it just keeps the cycle going :sad:

I really can't blame anyone for saving the poor fish at Wal*Mart. However, everyone of us should be atleast expressing our anger to the managers/owners of these stores. It isn't right to just let them get away with making millions off of the suffering of animals,and just to quietly help to clean up THEIR disgusting mess. I've also heard of people telling Wal*Mart managers that their fish are dying/diseased,and offering to rescue the fish (without being charged),nurse them back to health and find caring homes for them. Most people think of fish as lower, dumber creatures, that don't have any feelings.. n_n

:p I'm a newb,so be gentle!

not sure all the bashing aimed at BM was for i would have thought she would have been a prime example of what people should be doing- she does alot more than just come on here and complain/rant about betta cruelty but anyways....
...."sigh"
Obviously you missed the 20+ posts that covered that piece, or you're just stirring the pot a bit. It has been said over and over that this thread was not meant towards anyone in particular. Believe it or not there are even people out there who buy these fish,take them home and rehabilitate them without ever getting on the internet . What a crazy world,huh?
I've seen dozens upon dozens of members who join already owning 5 or 6 rescued bettas.I think it's insulting towards their efforts to only praise a single one the way some of you do.

I'd like to add:It's good to be passionate about something, but not just on a whim or a phase.

Im not trying to troll if thats what you are getting at and as i stated long ago near the beginning of the thread that i do respect people who save bettas and have never changed my side of the debate in that sense.

Fixed it or leave it. Two options here and I think it is possible to fixed it if we all hold hands together to fight for it. It is a great way to start in IBC and hopefully the rules can be re-enforce the law about veiltail betta or others betta in LFS especially Walmart. Then the law can apply to all the FLS around the world who selling betta to fixed their way of cares for betta or else banned them from selling if they didn't go through the procedure how to care for betta the right way. I have no against on Walmart on selling as long as they treat the veiltail bettas the rightway. So far I have seen my Walmart here doing a better job than the petmart, petland, or even petco. We have a long way to go but it is a good started point to go. :grr: :grr: :grr:
Don't forget I am in IBC now Kelly! :hyper: Extra voice to fight for it. LOL :lol:

Ya know...

I really think it's time to close this topic. I don't see any further benefit to leaving it open.

I just have to say.. my PM box is near full most of the time because oodles of people have drug fish home with them and have no clue how to *fix* them and they don't dare to post publicly because they're afraid of the public bashing they'll receive that will come next because they're funding WalMart. They ask if I have ever seen or dealt with what their fish has. Sometimes I can help them, sometimes I can't. The fact that I talk all the time on here about this issue, and try to inspire other people to raise a ruckus at the stores, and post a LOT on here - both asking for help and giving it, and just plain telling a story that other people might like to hear... says that I want OTHER PEOPLE to do what I do.

I really would rather not be known by all of you (who know me solely by the posts you read of mine) as the psychotic woman who goes crazy every time she goes into WalMart, or any other store that keeps fish, and causes a scene. I'd rather be known for being smart, or funny, or that I love to be outside doing just about anything - or that I love to scrapbook... ANY of that stuff. But because this is a fish forum, all that you guys know of me is that I am a half-lunatic that has a crazy bone buried somewhere in my body that rears its ugly head when I feel the need to go a bit ballistic on behalf of the fish. I would probably walk to the end of the earth to protect just about any animal, because they just don't have the ability to do it themselves. Very understandably, a lot of people just aren't comfortable with calling, bitching, ranting, raving, complaining, emailing, writing letters, etc. about the conditions of the fish, but would just rather quietly take a fish home and make it feel better. More power to them. I would just ask that they somehow let the store know they are angry and upset by the conditions. If that means sending me an email, that's fab. I have gotten very good at filing complaints and having people receive my complaints very well. IF that means giving them a different way of going about contacting the store- or telling them what to say, then FAB! Bring em on.

I already did two complaint calls today for people. I would do a hundred more if they came in.

One last statement - cation, I hope you realize that I agree with you 110%. I just don't like the way you approached it. That's my opinion, though - just keep that in mind.

It seems like some people are having reading comprehension problems, thatā€™s all. Bettamomma, all anyone did was just compliment you. I donā€™t think anyone considers you to be a crazy betta woman. You, like others in this thread did not read entire posts, jumped to conclusions, and then responded.

As far as people being afraid to post because of public bashing due to their shopping at wal-mart, thatā€™s just bizarre. If someone is looking for help with their sick fish, telling the forum where they purchased it will hardly affect potential advice from members. I donā€™t think ick from wal-mart is any different then ick from a local lfs. So if someone is that afraid they just wont mention where they bought it in their post.

I have read every single post in this thread - most of them more than once. I did think the post was directed to me at first, and if you would care to go back and read every post, you will discover the one where I apologized and admitted I was wrong - and that she had praised me. I am a big enough person to do that, I can be wrong - I am wrong, and I have no problems admitting it. ;)

People are not willing to stick their necks out here and announce that they brought a "rescue" home from WalMart because they've seen the kind of responses other people have gotten. I can't say as if I blame them. I don't post half as much here lately because I, too, am sometimes apprehensive about the kinds of responses I will get. I've stirred up the pot on several occasions, never expecting those kinds of results. Most of the time this place is FABULOUS. I wouldn't have invested enough time here to rack up well over 3000 posts otherwise.

As far as the posting, It's really no skin off my back, tho - cuz I was probably posting too much anyway. Nobody probably gives a rat's behind that one of my female bettas loves her little tankbuddy the snail. :dunno: lol

I come here for help if I drag another dying boy home, and I usually get it. I come here to help others - and I don't leave until every post that I think I could possibly lend any help to has gotten it, no matter how indignificant the issue might seem to be.

It's been already agreed upon that we are all in this for the exact same thing - the good of the fish, everywhere. So I don't know why everyone still has their undies in a wad. I have gotten over it and I am pretty sure that, for a while before I got all this straightened out and realized I was taking it all the wrong way, was by FAR the most angry and upset person about this thread. Now I realize the reason it was started, and I don't disagree with the reasoning behind it. I just didn't like the delivery. That's all. There are other ways of going about rallying troops, but as I said before - that's just what I think. Doesn't mean anyone else has to like it.

I will say that ALL my bettas are from Wal Mart, and I plan to get one from there soon. I like my walmart bettas, they are great and personable, and very pretty.

Hey I even got a CT from there, do you think I could have gotten that at the lfs or a diffrent chain store, heck no.

And bettamama, I think it is great that you save the betta, and who cares if people think you are a crazy betta women. You do the stuff for the fish, and many people preech about doing stuff but not many actually do. And there is nothing wrong about being a crazy betta women anyways, it's better than being a killie nut anyday.

Well, the only problem with it is that I will be that little old woman who dies, and when I do they'll come in to get my body and find 1000 bettas that need a home.

I'll be that old lady. :p

lol. I am sure that people will take them. I have herd that some countries are starting to have places where un wanted fish go, like a fish pound. Maybe the US will have one by then.

I though think it would be nice to make a betta/goldfish sanctuary. I plan to start one one day, when I get the money, as I plan to be famous one day, lol.

But i still think that buying a few walmart bettas isnt bad, they will all just die if noone takes them home, and we all know that we dont want that.

I doubt that walmart will stop selling them, but hopefully make their care better. I hope that makes scence.

Bettamomma, I read the whole thread and I know that you corrected yourself. I only mentioned it to possibly connect why people have been focusing on you and why you may feel like youā€™re in the spot light.

People donā€™t need to tell others where they bought their fish to get help. So I donā€™t understand your correlation. But what ever, it doesnā€™t really matter.

I also think that people read the way they read. I read cations original post and didnā€™t see anything that upsetting about it. People interpreting an angry post is a two way street. Granted, cation used the word self-righteous and I know people donā€™t like that word regardless of how true it is. Iā€™ve taken home cripples and posted pictures of them. Sometimes I protest stores and sometimes I donā€™t. It really depends on how mean the management is sometimes. But I wouldnā€™t get mad at someoneā€™s thread unless they specifically addressed it to me. So all the soap boxing seems unnecessary though it is very entertaining.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back