WalMart blows....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cation

Dog Wrangler
Reaction score
Congrats on helping to keep sick and poorly-cared for fish on the shelves to suffer. Every one you buy reinforces the idea that people will buy them anyway, so they're not deserving of proper care. That kind of short-term, betta-by-betta buying is exactly what will keep sick bettas on the shelf. WalMart should send all of you a thank-you card at least, perhaps even job applications!

You can feel good that one betta is not suffering, but know that every one you buy puts more on the shelf. Crow all you want about the good thing you're doing, but remember that you are sacrificing the many for the good of a few.

I know some of you make big fusses in the store - this is a little better. But even better? Make a fuss, scream and shout, contact the company higher ups - then leave the store....with nothing.

Hard to get I guess, but you can't force a company to change while supporting the way things currently are. Anyone want a slice of hypocricy to enjoy that tall glass of self-rightousness?

You make a very viable point, however, not all walmarts have horrible fish, all the time, I know this because mine 90% of the time has very good conditions in all their fish. That and the walmart in the next town over from me, which is a super walmart, doesn't even carry fish.

I must also say that I was in very, very southern IL and went to the walmart, and swung by the fish department, and I have to say that fish department was better than some fish stores LFS's so, it's not so much one store as a whole, but on a store by store basis, the bad ones are the ones that need to be complained about to the higher ups, all the time, and need people like us in there daily to keep on these people, because, after a while they're going to keep them in better conditions, if for any other reason than they're tired of being ragged on by me or you.

but, I do understand what you'r saying, it's a double-edge sword, indeed. and the problem is much greater than walmart, too.

I understand what your saying but at the same time if I see an animal that needs saving Im going to get it regardless even if it means supporting the horrible store it came from.
You can make a different to one. Maybe not all but atleast to that one animal you made a difference :)

mm_simb said:
This just seems like trolling to me :rolleyes:
why would you consider that trolling? It is true, but the bettas should be rescured, so it is a win/lose situation, but dont forget not all walmarst are bad. I have a great one.

I think that people can get their bettas wherever they want. Walmart does not make a big profit when people just buy a betta. They make the profits when they are buying other fish related things like tanks, heaters, and filters. Sure it's just going to get more bettas on the shelf but if we don't buy them someone else will. Boycotting it completely will do nothing to their sales.

mm_simb said:
This just seems like trolling to me :rolleyes:
Stay here for more then 3 months, maybe I'll care what you think. :rolleyes:

mm_simb said:
I think that people can get their bettas wherever they want. Walmart does not make a big profit when people just buy a betta. They make the profits when they are buying other fish related things like tanks, heaters, and filters. Sure it's just going to get more bettas on the shelf but if we don't buy them someone else will. Boycotting it completely will do nothing to their sales.
you also have a good point.

I think that this is one of those things where there will never be a clear outcome as to what people feel 100% on.

but what if all the bettas are sick and you buy 1/2 of them, say 15, that is alot on the bettas. But then the 15 get good homes.
But what if you buy all the tanks from there as they are usually cheaper than at other stores, say 15 one gallons for them. And gravel and plants, etc. Though you may get that at other places.

I must say though, that walmart has the highest priced female I have ever seen that are of the VT strain, though I did get my CT there.

>insert Marge Simpson type groan here<

Just thinking about this topic makes me want to bang my head on the desk and I don't know why.

I know you speak the truth, Jen. But it is a hard pill to swallow, and I can understand this having dealt with it firsthand. I remember the first time that I ever actually got up the gusto to walk away from a dying fish. Uggh, it was so hard and I came home and cried. But I just couldn't take any more home with me and I could clearly see that the situation was not improving, nor would it ever (how I felt at the time mind you) So I was insulting towards the management and the way he does his job and handed the fish back to him, promising to return that night to make sure the water was changed. I swore I'd be their worst nightmare and for a few months...I was, while boycotting them at the same time. I went nearly 6 months without purchasing ANYTHING from Wal-Mart, but I continued to check on the fish (it's not JUST the bettas who have problems there,unfortunately)

They really straightened up their act for a while. But I haven't even dealt with the situation for a while. It's too disheartening doing it solo when you begin to see a decline in upkeep. No one cares anyway. While you are talking your head off, whether it be spitting fire or oozing honey, the usual result is the person you are talking to standing there thinking to themselves "This lady is a real whack job! It's JUST a fish!" But sometimes you can get your hands on the right person. And sometimes you just want to get your hands AROUND those other people.

Today I ran in to get some dog food and I glanced at the bettas,they were all clean...one female was dead but that could have been for some other odd reason. I almost called the employee over to remove the dead fish,but I didn't. I thought about it and why should I help them to keep their work area looking tightly ran? Pffft!
I hope someone see's that dead fish and the result is a lost sale, but at the rate things go....someone may see the dead fish as a reason to buy another one. I know I would have once upon a time.
Ya can't win for losing.

mm_simb said:
Boycotting it completely will do nothing to their sales.
You're kidding, right? Sounds like the whole "one person can't make a difference" line to me. What a cop-out.

Tell that to Ghandi. Or MLK. Or Mandela.

Taking a strong stand takes courage and not just accepting how things are. Living with integrety means doing what needs to be done to stand up for what you believe in. Ask Bettamomma - she's one of the few on here who makes a true and stong stand for the fish she buys. She doesn't just buy them quietly then crow about "saving them".

wuvmybetta said:

Just thinking about this topic makes me want to bang my head on the desk and I don't know why.
I feel your pain Wuv :lol:

What's keeping Walmart in the fish business is uninformed beginners who keep replacing their fish every time one dies. Period. Those who have saved fish from Walmart are just an insignificant drop in the bucket.

I think that most of the people that really save bettas from there don't usually buy the products for them. They just go to a different store. I think that's what they should be doing. Buy the 4 dollar betta but don't buy anything else. I have to admit that I've bought things from there before when I knew how they treated their fish but since then I've stopped. Although, I also realize that not all walmarts are the same but the profits go to the same people running them. The walmart closer to my house has the bettas is pretty decent conditions...actually they are better than how Petsmart has them. But the walmart farther from my house (like 10 minutes...there's a walmart everywhere now lol) has them in really bad conditions. I don't even go there anymore.
But people have different opinions on this and nobody is going to change their opinion just because someone else doesn't like it. I get a lot of people hate these walmart threads...but why complain all the time about them.

Well then, those that want to boycot it...go ahead. But not everyone is going to do it.

wuvmybetta said:
It's too disheartening doing it solo when you begin to see a decline in upkeep.
Totally. I completely understand, Kelly - and yours was the best stand for bettas I've ever seen.

I guess what I'm saying is that if more people did this, you wouldn't be solo in your venture. Can you imagine the impact for the fish, the store, and the betta lovers if EVERY WalMart that people here shop in had 3 or 4, or even more, people doing the same thing you did? That could really make a big change in the long run for the fish, and many people wouldn't have to shoulder it alone.

I unterstand the frustration and sadness Kelly, but what kind of world do you want to leave for your daughter? For your daughter's daughter? I know the kind of world I want for mine. I have to live into the world as if this is possible - I know not all the things I believe in will happen, but if I don't live into the world like I CAN make a difference, none of them will happen.

It's easy to live in the masses and talk about how unimportant what you do is in the big picture. It'a much harder to take a stand and live with integrety.

Kelly, you care, and your story does not make me sad - it proves to me that one person CAN make a difference. Think of the impact of 2,4, 12, dozens of people doing what you did, and tell me it wouldn't make a difference.

Synirr said:
wuvmybetta said:

I feel your pain Wuv :lol:

What's keeping Walmart in the fish business is uninformed beginners who keep replacing their fish every time one dies. Period. Those who have saved fish from Walmart are just an insignificant drop in the bucket.
This is one where we'll have to agree to disagree. I firmly believe that the "rescuers" many of whom also buy tanks, heaters, or anything else at WalMart are a major part of the problem. Why? Because these are exactly the people who claim to care about the good of the fish, and are choosing not to take a stand for what they believe in.

mm_simb said:
But people have different opinions on this and nobody is going to change their opinion just because someone else doesn't like it. I get a lot of people hate these walmart threads...but why complain all the time about them.
You can tell me not to post about it if you want, no one will stop you, but I live in a reality where change is possible. Apparently you don't. What a sad place to be.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back