Hard lessons learned by a total noob, maybe these will help you

JCinPA

Fish Crazy
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Apr 23, 2026
Messages
277
Reaction score
167
Points
43
Location
Philadelphia
Well, I've had an inauspicious re-entry into the hobby. :rolleyes: Maybe some of my goofs can help someone else not make them. If any older forum member corrects me in this thread, assume they are right and I am wrong.

1.
Get a bigger tank. Many think a 10 gallon is a good starter tank but unless you specifically want to keep a betta or a half-dozen neon tetras in a nano tank on your desk, think minimum size of 20 gallons or even 29. They are not much more expensive than a 10 gallon setup. You could go even bigger, but I wish I'd not have gone with a 10 gallon.

2. You can save money with a kit, but you'll end up probably wanting to replace a lot of gear. If you wait for a tank sale at your local pet store, and watch for sales online, you can put together a kit of your own with gear you'll likely be happier with. Research your gear. That said, if you get the basics in a kit, especially on sale, you can get started and will have plenty of time to research and upgrade pieces later.

3. Beware of Youtubers' advice. Some are true experts, like Cory at Aquarium Co-Op, some are just hobbyists with no special expertise, and some are just oddballs with definitely out-of-the-mainstream advice. I, and probably you, won't have any way of knowing how reliable their advice is. Watch Youtube videos, just be careful about believing everything you see there. There's a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of chaff.

4. Get a good test kit before staring your aquarium. My biggest problems were because I started my aquarium on a Monday and did not get my test kit until Friday. I got the API Master Test Kit, which has a good reputation, but there are others available. Just have a kit and know how to use it, and use it before you get near any fish!

5. Spend some time learning about the nitrogen cycle before you start. I was learning as I went, and that was a disaster, I lost several fish. There are excellent resources here on cycling. Learn it before you start an aquarium, not as you go. I got excited about a fish-in cycle I saw on the Internet and didn't do well with it (others have to be fair), but now I wish I had done a fishless cycle. It need not take 6 weeks to 3 months as you often read. I would urge you to read about it here until you really understand it, then check out Dr. Tim's Aquatics website. Using his process you can likely cycle a tank in 2-3 weeks and you'll have a much higher probability of having a healthy stock of fish using his method. I'm going to have to wait much longer now.

5a. First, he is a real Dr. of Marine Biology. He was the chief science officer for the parent company of Marineland products for many years, and his area of expertise is in nitrifying bacteria. He has a patent on a live bacteria product, which is why his cycling method can go so fast. I'd use his products and process, although there are other processes out there. He's the real deal, you can trust him.

5b. Using his ammonia product for feeding his bacteria and his live bacteria product is simple and foolproof (if you do it right), and you'll likely have great success. A fish-in cycle, while possible, is an iffy thing, and I would not try it again. Two to three weeks is not too long to wait for a very nicely cycled tank.

In summary, get a bigger tank than a 10-gallon, think minimum of 20 or even 29 (or larger). Get a test kit right away. Do a fishless cycle. While there are many ways to do that successfully, I suspect the fastest and most foolproof method is Dr. Tim's process. But regardless do a fishless process and using the test kit, wait until it is fully cycled, no matter how long that takes, before adding fish. I hope someone learns from my mistakes.

Oh, and ask questions here, the members are extremely helpful!
 
Well, I've had an inauspicious re-entry into the hobby. :rolleyes: Maybe some of my goofs can help someone else not make them. If any older forum member corrects me in this thread, assume they are right and I am wrong.

1.
Get a bigger tank. Many think a 10 gallon is a good starter tank but unless you specifically want to keep a betta or a half-dozen neon tetras in a nano tank on your desk, think minimum size of 20 gallons or even 29. They are not much more expensive than a 10 gallon setup. You could go even bigger, but I wish I'd not have gone with a 10 gallon.

2. You can save money with a kit, but you'll end up probably wanting to replace a lot of gear. If you wait for a tank sale at your local pet store, and watch for sales online, you can put together a kit of your own with gear you'll likely be happier with. Research your gear. That said, if you get the basics in a kit, especially on sale, you can get started and will have plenty of time to research and upgrade pieces later.

3. Beware of Youtubers' advice. Some are true experts, like Cory at Aquarium Co-Op, some are just hobbyists with no special expertise, and some are just oddballs with definitely out-of-the-mainstream advice. I, and probably you, won't have any way of knowing how reliable their advice is. Watch Youtube videos, just be careful about believing everything you see there. There's a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of chaff.

4. Get a good test kit before staring your aquarium. My biggest problems were because I started my aquarium on a Monday and did not get my test kit until Friday. I got the API Master Test Kit, which has a good reputation, but there are others available. Just have a kit and know how to use it, and use it before you get near any fish!

5. Spend some time learning about the nitrogen cycle before you start. I was learning as I went, and that was a disaster, I lost several fish. There are excellent resources here on cycling. Learn it before you start an aquarium, not as you go. I got excited about a fish-in cycle I saw on the Internet and didn't do well with it (others have to be fair), but now I wish I had done a fishless cycle. It need not take 6 weeks to 3 months as you often read. I would urge you to read about it here until you really understand it, then check out Dr. Tim's Aquatics website. Using his process you can likely cycle a tank in 2-3 weeks and you'll have a much higher probability of having a healthy stock of fish using his method. I'm going to have to wait much longer now.

5a. First, he is a real Dr. of Marine Biology. He was the chief science officer for the parent company of Marineland products for many years, and his area of expertise is in nitrifying bacteria. He has a patent on a live bacteria product, which is why his cycling method can go so fast. I'd use his products and process, although there are other processes out there. He's the real deal, you can trust him.

5b. Using his ammonia product for feeding his bacteria and his live bacteria product is simple and foolproof (if you do it right), and you'll likely have great success. A fish-in cycle, while possible, is an iffy thing, and I would not try it again. Two to three weeks is not too long to wait for a very nicely cycled tank.

In summary, get a bigger tank than a 10-gallon, think minimum of 20 or even 29 (or larger). Get a test kit right away. Do a fishless cycle. While there are many ways to do that successfully, I suspect the fastest and most foolproof method is Dr. Tim's process. But regardless do a fishless process and using the test kit, wait until it is fully cycled, no matter how long that takes, before adding fish. I hope someone learns from my mistakes.

Oh, and ask questions here, the members are extremely helpful!
Great points here but, a 10g tank is not too small if you are careful and do not over stock. If you use a viable sponge filter(s) from a fully cycled tank, you will be fine, IMHO and experience. Here is an example:
 

Attachments

  • GBR Fry 042526.webp
    GBR Fry 042526.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 103
True, but you can’t keep much of a fish load in one. I will have 5 guppies in mine, and that’s it. I’d have been happier with a 20-29 so I could add 6-8 tetras or rasboras, and 5-6 Cory’s. It’s not that a 10-gallon won’t work. It’s that most people will likely be happier if they start with a 20 or 20+. That was my point.

I’m disappointed I did not go larger, and now I’m stuck. I’ll be fine, my goal for this tank is to entertain toddlers. It will work for that.
 
That’s ok. My 10g has become one of two QTs for my fish room. Think of it like this…..a 10g is much better/bigger than a 5g. :fish:
 
Hey, to both of you. 10 gallons are not bad. That was not my point. They can work well. My point was simply that I believe most beginners will be happier with a 20+.

I was not saying 10 gallon tanks are bad. I think you may feel I was. I’m saying noobs should consider a 20+. You have more options open to you then.

I was not saying 10 gallons are bad. I was saying, for most people, a 20+ is better. I stand by that. Research almost any community fish you can think of and you’ll find the 20 gal is usually the minimum recommended tank for keeping them in desirable numbers. I think that is definitely true.

I am not badmouthing 10 gallon tanks. I’m saying you should consider larger, You’l likely be happier. And a 10 definitely limits your options a lot in ways a 20+ does not. Would either of you disagree with that statement? If you would, then I would disagree with you.

I apologize if I came off as anti-10. I think 20>10. Am I wrong? Maybe I was communicating poorly.
 
True, but you can’t keep much of a fish load in one. I will have 5 guppies in mine, and that’s it. I’d have been happier with a 20-29 so I could add 6-8 tetras or rasboras, and 5-6 Cory’s. It’s not that a 10-gallon won’t work. It’s that most people will likely be happier if they start with a 20 or 20+. That was my point.

I’m disappointed I did not go larger, and now I’m stuck. I’ll be fine, my goal for this tank is to entertain toddlers. It will work for that.
Bigger would be better...it could entertain more toddlers, if that is your goal;)!
 
Hey, to both of you. 10 gallons are not bad. That was not my point. They can work well. My point was simply that I believe most beginners will be happier with a 20+.

I was not saying 10 gallon tanks are bad. I think you may feel I was. I’m saying noobs should consider a 20+. You have more options open to you then.

I was not saying 10 gallons are bad. I was saying, for most people, a 20+ is better. I stand by that. Research almost any community fish you can think of and you’ll find the 20 gal is usually the minimum recommended tank for keeping them in desirable numbers. I think that is definitely true.

I am not badmouthing 10 gallon tanks. I’m saying you should consider larger, You’l likely be happier. And a 10 definitely limits your options a lot in ways a 20+ does not. Would either of you disagree with that statement? If you would, then I would disagree with you.

I apologize if I came off as anti-10. I think 20>10. Am I wrong? Maybe I was communicating poorly.
No disagreement here, just be happy with whatever you choose!
 
Mine will likely be a QT in short order. @bgarthe But it wasn’t what I thought I was buying at the time. Lol
 
I didn’t take your comments to mean 10g tanks are bad. I agree, a bigger tank is a superior option if it can be done. I was just saying what I said for that person who happens to only be able to keep a 10g tank.

Your points were pretty…on target.
 
This is supposed to be fun, so a 20 would be my minimum call. Bigger's better, simply because we want more fish and other creatures to take care of. A 10 gallon just doesn't satisfy most ambitions.

Yup, they work. They are cheaper. But the low stocking approach is the hardest thing to learn, because it goes against a new fishkeeper's excitement level. You overstock, everything dies and that ruins it. It's tough on the poor fish too.

And you quickly learn that a 20 is as much work as a 10. No more. But if you aren't stocked to the eyeballs and you get sick, you can miss a water change. I'm catching up in my fishroom because I was sick with an exhausting virus for 10 days, and water changes were due when I was busy napping and coughing at the start of it all. These things happen.
 
BTW, @bgarthe is one of those members I’d say have confidence in when you ask a question. And he is a successful fish-in cycler. My problems with it were my own, and while I will go fishless in future, I’d rely on bgarthe for fish-in cycling advice.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ry2
BTW, @bgarthe is one of those members I’d say have confidence in when you ask a question. And he is a successful fish-in cycler. My problems with it were my own, and while I will go fishless in future, I’d rely on bgarthe for fish-in cycling advice.
:thanks: JCinPA for those kind words. I’m both honored and humbled.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ry2

Most reactions

Back
Top