WalMart blows....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Here's something I'd like anybody still interested in the TOPIC AT HAND to read....although I do not profess to follow all ten of these suggestions, I do believe that they are important and worth thinking about. I've made some of them my own. You might or might not want to. (the italics are my own)

'Top Ten Things to Think About If You Want to Change the World
By Michael Angier

Mahatma Gandhi believed that we must be the change we want to see in the world. This was well demonstrated when he helped India gain its independence. Gandhi was a revolutionary man, but he accomplished India's emergence as a nation without starting a revolution. In fact, he advocated no violence. One of the most powerful countries in the world yielded to the commitment of one man and the dream of millions.

What change can we effect? What's the difference we want to make in the world?

Gandhi said, "In a gentle way you can shake the world." Here are some things to think about how to do just that …

1. Know that all significant change throughout history has occurred not because of nations, armies, governments and certainly not committees. They happened as a result of the courage and commitment of individuals. People like Joan of Ark, Albert Einstein, Clara Barton, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison and Rosa Parks. They might not have done it alone, but they were, without question, the change makers.

2. Believe that you have a unique purpose and potential in the world. It's not so much something to create as to be discovered. And it's up to you to discover it. Believe that you can and will make a difference.

3. Recognize that everything you do, every step you take, every sentence you write, every word you speak-or DON'T speak--counts. Nothing is trivial. The world may be big, but there are no small things. Everything matters.

4. To be the change you want to see in the world, you don't have to be loud. You don't have to be eloquent. You don't have to be elected. You don't even have to be particularly smart or well educated. You do, however, have to be committed.

5. Take personal responsibility. Never think "it's not my job". It's a cop-out to say, "What can I do, I'm only one person." You don't need everyone's cooperation or anyone's permission to make changes. Remember this little gem, "If it's to be, it's up to me."

6. Don't get caught up in the how of things. If you're clear on what you want to change and why you want to change it, the how will come. Many significant things have been left undone because someone let the problem solving interfere with the decision-making.

7. Don't wait for things to be right in order to begin. Change is messy. Things will never be just right. Follow Teddy Roosevelt's timeless advice, "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

8. The genesis for change is awareness. We cannot change what we don't acknowledge. Most of the time, we aren't aware of what's wrong or what's not working. We don't see what could be. By becoming more aware, we begin the process of change.

9. Take to heart these words from Albert Einstein--arguably one of the smartest change masters who ever lived: "All meaningful and lasting change starts first in your imagination and then works its way out. Imagination is more important than knowledge."

10. In order for things to change, YOU have to change. We can't change others; we can only change ourselves. However, when WE change, it changes everything. And in doing so, we truly can be the change we want to see in the world.

The following is inscribed on the tomb of an Anglican Bishop in Westminster Abby (1100 A.D.) …

When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world. As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country.

But it, too, seemed immovable.

As I grew into my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it.

And now, as I lie on my deathbed, I suddenly realize: If I had only changed myself first, then by example I would have changed my family.

From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country, and who knows, I may have even changed the world.

Since my 10-point list above was inspired by Gandhi's belief, it seems appropriate to end with another of his quotes: "Consciously or unconsciously, every one of us does render some service or other. If we cultivate the habit of doing this service deliberately, our desire for service will steadily grow stronger and we will make not only our own happiness, but that of the world at large." '

Interesting thread, cation. To tell you the truth, I've always thought exactly the same thing but just didn't say anything because there are so many people here forever rescuing Bettas. Not that I’m against rescuing fish in dire conditions, however the more people who do it, the more it will encourage all these horrid places (chain stores) to restock their shelves with rotting cups as soon as they can. Because it SELLS.

Yep. The influx of reading threads about it, where people simply bought the betta and walked out, not word one to anyone, that's what prompted me to start this thread. Clearly, it's not something people are enjoying hearing :p , but the few people willing to discuss it, along with a few people looking at things from a different point of view have been worth it.

I'm glad you've found it a worthwhile read. (or at least a really long one... :rolleyes: :lol: )

By the way, I love your sig. Cracks me up every time I see it.

I have nevered "rescued" a betta nor have I ever bought a fish from Walmart. Some Walmarts around here are just awful, and some are not so bad. But that is beside the point. On this topic I am of two minds.

I take it with the perspective of the plight of homeless dogs and cats. We want to save them all but we know that we can't. So rather than crying and feeling sad and sorry about it, we keep it in perspective and save the ones we can and know that while there were many we could not save and give a second chance at life to, we can look at the ones we HAVE saved and know that bit by bit, we are making a difference. This brings to mind the starfish story:

An old man was strolling along the beach when he saw a young boy
picking up objects and throwing them into the water.
"What are you doing?" the old man asked.
"These starfish have been washed ashore and
if they don't get back into the water, they'll die," replied the boy.
Seeing that there were thousands of starfish lying stranded,
the man said, "You'll never be able to save all these starfish.
So what does it matter?"
The boy looked down at the starfish he was holding in his hand and said,
"Well, sir, it matters to this one."

However, it is clear that just being there and taking that one animal and finding it a good home isn't changing the bigger problem at hand. We know that education is a key factor, a cultural change needs to be made. And we are doing our small part to make that change. But we know it will take time and that even in our generation we may not see the results. But that wont' stop us from trying.

So what does that have to do with bettas you ask? Everything. I'm with cation on this, saving them is one thing. Its great that you recognize there's a problem and that you are willing to do what you can to make a difference and save a life. But along with that you have to be willing to go all the way to make a difference, to make a change. You have to take your anger, sadness, concern, frustration, and channel it. Just buying a fish and taking it home won't change it. Rage, rage against that machine. Buy the fish, but as cation said, also make a constructive stink about it. Make phone calls, write letters, talk to managers. Document what you see, the conditions, etc. Talk to local animal rights chapters, tell them about the mistreatment of fish. Call up BettaMomma and sic her and her betta bus on them :flex:

What we're dealing with a cultural issue. People still see fish as, well, just fish. They are not seen a animals with feelings, becasue they aren't cute and fuzzy. Efforts need to be made to change this point of view, to educate. Simply taking home a sick fish, well, while it will save that one life and make you feel better for not leaving it, it won't solve the problem or make the issue go away.

So the next time you see a betta you feel you have to rescue, do it. But when you get home, don't log in here to tell us. Write a letter, make a phone call, start a petition. Do something proactive!!!

I've said my piece.

MAM said:
So what does that have to do with bettas you ask? Everything. I'm with cation on this, saving them is one thing. Its great that you recognize there's a problem and that you are willing to do what you can to make a difference and save a life. But along with that you have to be willing to go all the way to make a difference, to make a change. You have to take your anger, sadness, concern, frustration, and channel it. Just buying a fish and taking it home won't change it. Rage, rage against that machine. Buy the fish, but as cation said, also make a constructive stink about it. Make phone calls, write letters, talk to managers. Document what you see, the conditions, etc. Talk to local animal rights chapters, tell them about the mistreatment of fish. Call up BettaMomma and sic her and her betta bus on them :flex: .... So the next time you see a betta you feel you have to rescue, do it. But when you get home, don't log in here to tell us. Write a letter, make a phone call, start a petition. Do something proactive!!!

I've said my piece.
:clap: :D :clap: :D

Sing it, sister. MAM, when I read your post, it gets me all fired up. In the GOOD way. You know the one - the people's people kinda way.

When you put it that way MAM, I do have to agree. There are better ways to discuss things than to come on here and bash everyone who "saves" a betta just because they didn't say anything. Making suggestions without deliberately insulting...

I'm locking this until I catch up. Hope no one was in mid-post.

Ok, it wasn't as bad as it seemed at first :p

Wow, I'm gone for a bit and get lots of replies :D Got some catching up to do. :)

Alrighty!

Eudielynn-Thanks for the welcome ^_^ and fear not, I don't think I'll be too scared off. I know what it's like to be passionate about animals. I love my fish and loooove my kitties :wub: I always have to defend my cats *I think all the barn cats are mine, besides my actual pet, Dainty* and have to defend them from my 'cat hating' dad all the time. :angry: *tho I think he likes them a little, he did save a momma cat and her kittens from being squashed by a cow, it's supposed to be a secret tho...lol*
I've read a lot of posts here and I do see that it's a nice forum, I guess I just chose the 'worst' post to post in my first time :p
I'll stay around :flex:

BettaMomma-After I got my 2.5 gal, I tried to convince my Mum to get one...that I'd even buy it and set it up for her as a mother's day present. But she likes the one she has now...and doesn't want to change. And my Mum is veeeeeeery bull-headed, so there is no making her change. Also, she'll say 'At least my goldfish are alive!' :crazy: Ah well.
Well, Postville is smaller than Waukon. Technically the parents live in the country, but just have the Postville address and Waukon phone #. So I went to school in Waukon...to me, I'm from Waukon...tho I'm not. It's weird, lol. Postville is one of the most diverse small towns around. There are a lot of Mexicans, Jews, etc. It's pretty neat to have something like that so close. Granted not many people like that, because there are some 'bad apples' that came and caused some violence problems. :/ Waukon is more cookie-cutter...so to say..Small town, a lot of stuck up people, 'red-necks', beer drinkers, and the occasional meth-maker. :look:
Decorah is one of the closest places to go shopping, it's a small-big-city type place....other than that, the closest place to go to an actual mall is Rochester, Minn. or Lacrosse, WI. :D And since Bill knows his way around Lacrosse, we go there. ;)

Cation-Thanks for the not-so-bad reply :) I was actually nervous to see what you'd have to say, well...anyone really...lol
As for me being open, I pride myself on my open-mindedness, it's one of my better qualities, besides talking a lot and my good ability to listen :fun: I will definatly make it a point to voice my opinion about the fish the next time I go and 'save' one.

cation said:
Is that the best shot you can take? Cause it ain't that great. Funny, OhFeeshy, I've always pretty much supported you, shows how quick the water turns.

One good thing about this thread is it's really helping me weed out who I'll even bother being civil to in the future (let alone help).
There is no need to not be 'civil' to people because of their opinions. I know this is a highly debatable topic, but TBH, I think *some*people are being more than a little trollish. You don't have to agree with me, but as a frequent visitor to Pets At Home, and several other chain stores, I know that poor betta with hardly any tail or fins left because they've been bitten off by 50 odd tetras certainly isn't there anymore when they get a new delivery in. I'd imagine they order the same stuff every week, you know, x neons, y danios, the usual. They aren't going to change it in a hurry because a few ill bettas didn't get sold. I know I'm in the UK and the betta situation is completely different, but even I know not all will be sold. Especially the sick ones.

Besides, the names OohFeeshy :p

bkk_group said:
i got your back cation (but you probably already knew that..) ;)
Thanks, doll. I figured as much, but I always appreciate it. ;) B)

I'm removing myself from this thread. Few people want to debate any of my points with me, most simply want to be judgemental and (hypocritically) rude while pointing a finger at me and shouting "rude! rude", or "you're trolling". :rolleyes: I'm tired of it. I've seen this pitiful, mob-rule mentality on this board plenty of times, and while I mostly find it silly, there's no need for me to sit here and be a masochist either.

For the rest of you, who are thinking about and discussing the TOPIC, and not me, I encourage you to keep the dialogue going. Ideas are born, people are rallied, things get put into motion. Change is not easy, and it's often met with opposition and anger, but some are seeing the point, and to those who are, my hat is off to you. You have my mad support and love. Let them say what they will, but stand firm in the knowledge that we CAN change the world.

I would ask that this thread be left open as long as you see fit, Kelly.

Cation-Thanks for the not-so-bad reply

You're welcome. ;) I thought it was a pretty nice reply, actually - and all true.

Please remember that this is one thread - If you want a bigger picture of "how I am", browse some of my past posts. Some of the people on this thread who are so quick to judge me are people I've gone out of my way to help. Shows you where being nice gets you, I'll stay just the way I am. :p

Maybe it's just around here....but the LFS, LPS, and Walmart all take care of their betta's (and other fish too) about the same. In each one I go in there will inevitably be 3 or 4 dead bettas and a couple in nasty water..then there are your new arrivals in half way clean water.

That's why I get my fish supplies online and my fish from breeder's or Aquabid. Saves me time, effort, an heart break.

I can't bring home/save every stray dog/cat in the pounds around my house (although honestly I would if I thought I could) just like I can't save every dead, dying, or diseased fish at a store around here...I don't even try, there is no point in it really.

I can care for the ones I have readily now...I know my limits (as should everyone..and if you don't you should start paying attention). When you overload yourself...the ones you used to take great care of start getting shoddy care after a while...so in essence....everyone starts to lose.

:dunno: it's a middle of the fence argument though..kinda like.."which is better chocolate or vanilla"...there is no right or wrong decision or answer..it's a personal preference/choice.

But, that's just my .02 ccents...which is only worth face value. :)

SRC said:
:dunno: it's a middle of the fence argument though..kinda like.."which is better chocolate or vanilla"...there is no right or wrong decision or answer..it's a personal preference/choice.
So you consider the pros and cons, then choose what you want despite them, right? Like "I choose my mom?" (If that made any sense to you, we have something in common... :p )

SRC, I don't know if we've been at opposite ends of the board or what, but it's good to see you. Take care, girl.

Okay. NOW I'm outta here! :p

Most reactions

Back