Vive O Portugal!

I agree with Arfie, the TV coverage in each of the semi-finalist nations is likely to be based on who they will face in the final match. I think it's annoying, and arrogant and yes, I probably see more of it from England because here in the USA, our soccer network broadcasts SKY sports news and thus has a huge amount of English coverage. They never, however have such a self assuredness about the American team on any news coverage here, most likely because we recognise that we're not guaranteed to win, nor are we likely to progress very far. Don't get me wrong, I hate the american team anyway but am impressed with their relative modesty about their talent. Our coach has made a complete a@# out of himself in the aftermath of the USA's exit however.

I'm terribly sorry that everyone feels that the Portuguese are a diving, cheating, fouling squad. I felt that the game was played quite cleanly. Yes the Netherlands game was a disgrace, but I still feel like the referee's lack of controll over the events of the match was the biggest contributing factor. Dissagree with me if you will, it's certainly your right to do so. I sure hope that Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't get killed over there or something just because he put the English Team away. You guys should feel good about that because at least you know he has a strong sense of patriotism about his country, and loyalty to the team he plays on. Those are good qualities that make a strong player.

I'm sure however that if he feels like it is expedient for him to transfer out of England, just about any team in the world would take him after this world cup.

About the Rooney issue, let me tell you how it looked from my point of view. At first I thought he got the card for pushing the player after the foul. I was irate because like many of you had said before, I wanted Portugal to play and beat the best that England had to offer, also I didn't want this match turning into a card happy free-for-all like the Netherlands. When they played the foul back in slow motion it appeared that Rooney was neither off balance, nor was he following through with a step. He clearly took a stomp at the other player, at least that's how it looked in the replay. Players in every sport take cheapshots at other players, it's a fact of life when you are in fierce competition you're bound to get rough with the other side. But if you do something like this, expect that you might get caught and if you do get caught, be prepared to be dealt with that is how sport works. Maybe the referee was going to give him a yellow for the organ stomp and then he made a yellow offense when he shoved the player back, yes it was a light shove but it's up to the referee to make the call on what he want's to penalize isn't it? two yellows always equal red unless you're Graham Poll so maybe the referee then went straight for the red.

In the end, it was brought back to where the English and Portuguese had an equal chance of winning, both got 5 penalty shots and Ricardo just did a better job blocking them. That's how the chips fell, sorry.

Here's to a very deserving and worthy opponent in the English, a team who for all other reasons deserves to go on, (They're better than the French and the Italians in my oppinion) and heres to a great match that was played the way soccer should be played. I for one wish the English all the sucess in the future, You'll likely have Scolari for a manager next time anyway.

The reason I asked for your support of the Portuguese team is because it's common practice in the USA for the losing team in a tournament to get behind and support the team who took them out, it shows good sportsmanship and if the other team does well it proves that the losing team lost to a very tough squad. It looks good for both teams involved.

I understand that things may be different in England, so if that's the case I'm sorry, as it probably came off rude!

SLC

Thank you if you took the time to read all this.

Rooney was trying to stay on his feet whilst being fouled by 2 players, I don't think it was a stamp, he was just adjusting his stance to try (foolishly in this day and age) to stay upright, he should have just gone over like he'd been shot at Ronaldo did on many occasions.

Amen to that. You can tell a players intentions by looking at their face and watching their line of sight in the slow motion replays. Watching Rooney (which I did several times) I saw absolutely nothing wrong with what he did at all, he was just trying to stay upright and, if anything, the Protugese guy was pulling at his legs with his hands as he was falling over... his legs were already gone, so that wasnt an effort to stay upright, it was an effort to pull Rooney over. I truly dont think that Rooney was intending to stomp around, he was trying to keep his feet and keep posession.

Id also like to add that the referee was an Argentinian. If there is one nation in the world that can produce referees that dont need to be bribed to make England lose its Argentina. Argentina as a nation arent over that whole fawklands thing, in fact, rumour has it that its going to kick off again there too :/ Id also like to have seen a bit more of a standardization of refereeing. You can never tell what you can "get away" with. The Portugal Holland game was a farce... Deco got sent off for being pushed over by Coccu! Figo actually headbutted someone and only got a yellow, yet Rooney pushes someone (who didnt even fall over) and gets an instant red. Whether you think Rooney did something wrong or not, that is not the level of refeering Id expect to see in the WC... Id expect a premiership referee to lose his job if he performed so badly! Even if Rooney did aim a stamp, there was no injury from it and benefit of the doubt should have been given anyway because there were three players in a very tight space... yellow card maximum for Rooney.

Here's to a very deserving and worthy opponent in the English, a team who for all other reasons deserves to go on, (They're better than the French and the Italians in my oppinion)

I think youre right there too. The Italians have not had their usual flair this World Cup, and the French remain French.

Edit: We usually do get right behind the winners when we get beaten... with the exceptions of France and Argentina perhaps (old enemies die hard). If Rooney had not been sent off and it had been a simple game of 11 v 11 with no underhanded tactics from either team then losing to the Portugese would have simply been bitter, but not painful. As it stands, there is doubt in the minds of most English people as to why Rooney was sent off, and since hes our star striker, its difficult for us to completely congratulate Portugal and say "yep, we lost to the better team". Its this doubt as to why Rooney went off that has made the typically sportsmanlike English be less accepting. We will mean it when we say congratulations on the win because were a sporting nation, but its still not so easy to accept that we lost in the way that we did. English pride is found only in England.

All that said, there is absolutely no excuse for professional footballers, paid hundreds of thousands of pounds per year, to miss a damn penalty. Sure, its high pressure but the goals are massive and the biggest goalkeeper is dwarfed in them! Portugal there undoubetdly did better than England, no question. Hats off to the Portugese goalie!

Id love to see Portugal win... Ive not got much love for the French or German teams, and Brazil have won it too much already.

Now I'm wondering, who does everyone think will win the next round?

I think Germany and Portugal.

then I think Germany may beat us in the Final

But first we've got to beat France, and the way they've shown up the last two games, that won't be easy.

SLC

I'm terribly sorry that everyone feels that the Portuguese are a diving, cheating, fouling squad. I felt that the game was played quite cleanly. Yes the Netherlands game was a disgrace, but I still feel like the referee's lack of controll over the events of the match was the biggest contributing factor. Dissagree with me if you will, it's certainly your right to do so.

I completely agree with you. The game was made a hell of a lot worse by a card happy ref, and the fact that it came to the point that things happened all around him and he had no control anymore what so ever. And Holland did play just as badly (faul wise) as Portugal did, but in my opinion only as a response to Portugals play. This however, is a very personal view, and me being a dutchy is probably the only thing that causes me to have seen it like this. I can completely understand if you don't agree with me on that =)

About the Rooney issue, let me tell you how it looked from my point of view. At first I thought he got the card for pushing the player after the foul. I was irate because like many of you had said before, I wanted Portugal to play and beat the best that England had to offer, also I didn't want this match turning into a card happy free-for-all like the Netherlands.

I still don't manage to see the purposeful 'stamp' to be honest. I see it the exact same way as Arfie does, and do believe it didn't happen on purpose. Whether or not this was an accident, I don't think we'll ever know for certain.

In the end, it was brought back to where the English and Portuguese had an equal chance of winning, both got 5 penalty shots and Ricardo just did a better job blocking them. That's how the chips fell, sorry.

I can't agree more with you there. During the taking of the penalties I just could not believe how bad the english goalie did. He did not manage to block a single one of the shots that actually hit the goal. To be honest, I never had him down for much, but definatly didn't expect penalty taking (or rather, defending) to be this bad. Then again, I guess I'm just spoiled with van de Sar ;)

The reason I asked for your support of the Portuguese team is because it's common practice in the USA for the losing team in a tournament to get behind and support the team who took them out, it shows good sportsmanship and if the other team does well it proves that the losing team lost to a very tough squad. It looks good for both teams involved.

I'm not sure what it's like in england, but in Holland we want those that beat us gone! If you've ever seen the fans when it's a Dutch-German game, you'll see what I mean... we just don't take losing well (as was shown perfectly in how unfriendly we played against Portugal) . To be honest, once Holland went out my bet was on Argentina, with them out as well now, I don't really like any of the teams in. But, if I had to pick, I'd support Germany right now. Even though the dutch don't hate any team more than the germans during the World Cup, it's closest to home now.

I agree with your predictions, I see both Portugal and Germany go into the finals. I see Germany come out as a winner though. But I've been very wrong on some occasions so far ... for one, I didn't see Argentina leave. And I wasn't expecting France to beat Brazil (foolishly I must say, because Brazil haven't been all that good this World Cup).

Typical sportsmanship rules dont apply to Holland Germany games... you know that :p

I think that Portugal played a fairly clean game against England... I also think that exactly the same type of game was played when Portugal played against Holland. Again, it all comes down to whats seen by the eyes of the ref, and the eyes of the ref can see many different things... even ones that dont happen in the case of that stupid Russian git who ref'd the Portugal Holland match. I dont think Portugal are a dirty team, I think theyre as "dirty" as everyone. Football is a game played to win, and that often means tactics that dont come from the book of fair play. I do think that Ive seen Portugal play for yellow cards a lot more than I remember in the past, but that could be solely blamed on Ronaldo, who is a crybaby. A talented footballer, but still a crybaby.

England are out because their players are crap at penalties. 100 grand a week and can't score a goal!

I certainly don't think the Portuguese are a diving cheating "squad" :no: I think Ronaldo is, always has been always will be :nod: Of course he playes for ManYoo so I am biased, but then so does Rooney :dunno: But the whole squad, no :no: In fact we may yet be signing Simao ;)

I think the best team got beaten (in much the same way as Protugal did in the final of 2004 ;) ), but I'm not sure exactly why. The poor tactics and inability of the manager to make smart changes is part of it, the lack of decent penalty takers is another :nod: Gerrard didn't take one in the Champions League final and he's missed a few in the past. Carragher just doesn't take them and I can't believe he had to retake it. Lampard couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo at the moment. I wonder if the squad just assumed they had the right to go through, they were the better team and they knew it, but other than Hargreaves, nobody actually bothered to play like it :nod:

I'm not really supporting anyone now, however IF France start playing as they should (not just the England team are underperforming!) I'd like them to win, I just cant wish the Germans any success :no: (especially as a mate who was there said that last night there were hundreds of Germans out taunting the English fans last night) and Italy are just dull to watch. Perhaps Portugal being reigning World Champions and Greece being reigning European Champions would book up the idea's of some of the other teams in future competitions :dunno:

All I want now is some good football to watch in the last 4 matches of the world cup :nod: No talk of referees and no more diving.

Arfie

Perhaps Portugal being reigning World Champions and Greece being reigning European Champions would book up the idea's of some of the other teams in future competitions :dunno:

All I want now is some good football to watch in the last 4 matches of the world cup :nod: No talk of referees and no more diving.

Arfie

I'll second that!

Arfie i doubt Simao coming to us now as i have heard rumour that chelsea wanna sign him and loan him back off to current club Benfica, so li say let Chelsea buy the player with massive fee and hugh wage bill, i be happy as in 10 year time Chelsea will be BUST when Rom Rom will be bored of football soi wouldnt worry abt Simao for now as look like we are concerating on Pennant from Birmingham vast premiership exprience etc

Rafa know what he looking for and know how spend the cash and proven it buy quality signing of Alonso and Momo and Luis Garcia ......

YNWA

:no: In fact we may yet be signing Simao ;)

Arfie

Well, i'll hand it too you SLC Flyfishing... your taking the usual 'england are out' free-for-all very well.

England has such passion that whoever dares knock us out will face a lifetime of hate!! :lol:

The problem we have in England is that we 'think' and assume we're world class... when really, finishing within the top 8 is about right.

We have the best league in the world (no arguement) but we fill it with world-class foreigners, then when the English players come together they simply cannot play as well.

I say fill the squad with people still to make a name like Lennon and Walcott.

I'm glad to see the back of Sven. He never dared to take off a 'superstar'... look at yesterday. He took off Joe Cole, who had the tournament of his life and was easily one of England's best players when he should have been taking off Lampard who had a completely crap tournament and should be chopped up and feed to hungry Fulham fans!

Also, the difference between the Premiership and any other league in the world is pace... the Premiership is exciting because it is so quick! If the English squad played like this on the international scale then we would be unbeatable - but for some reason they change their playing style when playing international!!

Also, and surely this is basic maths... but England is so much smaller than France, Germany etc. etc. so there is a bigger selection! (obviously, this doesn't count for much because places such as China and Russia would be world-class!)

For me though, Australia are the team for the future!

Let's just hope Lampard carries his poor form into next season :D

Terry for the captains airmband? I don't think Gerrard is worthy of it for England.

I just cant wish the Germans any success :no: (especially as a mate who was there said that last night there were hundreds of Germans out taunting the English fans last night) and Italy are just dull to watch. Arfie
Arfie,
Can you honestly say if it was the other way round, the English fans wouldn't have done the same?
I think it'll be Germany v France in the final and Germany will win, because we are Germany and ve vill crush you :lol:
My wife is German and I'd be shot if I didn't support them, but I have to say they have the best chance to win it, France coming a close second, and the cheating diving gits will be playing Portugal in the 3rd 4th place playoff.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back