Could this be a swim bladder issue?

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
A while back I reported odd behavior with one of my cichlids showing concerning behavior. This has now been going on for months.

The fish shows zero signs of injury nor is there any mucus secretion. The thing is that this beastie spends a lot of time flat in its side laying on the substrate. If you were to see the fish in this aspect you would think that I had a dead fish but when food is put in it acts normal and feeds fine. Also, when on its side and I put my finger near it just swims off as if all is fine. I'd include a photo but it would show nothing as physically the fish looks just fine.

My question is if this could be a swim bladder issue which I doubt as the critter is totally able to get up and swim normally when feeding and such.

My other thought is that the other cichlid of the same breed is a bully and the fish in question might be 'playing dead' to avoid attacks.

Any thoughts?

OK, here is a photo but keep in mind that when food is put in or any other interaction this fish acts totally normal.

IMG_0542.JPG

Need a picture showing the entire tank and a video of the fish showing it on its side, during feeding and maybe some footage of the other fish interacting with it.
Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entire screen and doesn't have black bars on either end.

What species? I know what one the Malawi Haplochromines, I think venustus has been known to play dead to lure in prey.

Cool. I haven't seen them in a while. Great fish, but sensitive. They shouldn't lie on the bottom like that, so something is wrong. What is always the hopeless question.
If it's gone on for months, it is really not typical. It suggest a swim bladder problem, but a malformation? An injury? A digestive problem messing with the gas balance that fills the bladder? It's one of those situations that give you way more questions than answers.
It's good in that he hasn't died, but it's like an intermittent problem in a car - hard to try to fix.

I know what I said here equals close to nothing, but that one is mysterious and strange. Other than protecting him from any aggressive tankmates, I don't know what I'd do for him.

Actually I don't think it's diet as the other Laetacara araguaiae in the tank is totally fine.

The other beastie is pretty aggressive at times which made me think of the possibility of the one in question 'playing dead' to avoid the aggression. This actually started when I thinned out some plants even removing a few. I think it possible that I took out its hiding place. I base this possibility as, when off the bottom, the other chases but, when on the bottom, the other totally ignores it. Also the one in question comes up much more when the tank lights go off and there is just ambient light.

I'll try to get a video but don't know when. The battery in my camera quit holding a charge and I'm doing good to get 2-4 pictures; a video isn't gonna happen. I don't carry a cell phone so that option is out. Since the camera is under warranty Canon is sending a new battery but I don't know when it will arrive.

More likely, the fish has a weak point, maybe from a past injury, and the dominant fish lands a shot there every time he recovers enough to swim normally. That I have seen, unfortunately. It's not an aggressive species, which is probably why he isn't dead. He could have an injured swim bladder system.

More likely, the fish has a weak point, maybe from a past injury, and the dominant fish lands a shot there every time he recovers enough to swim normally. That I have seen, unfortunately. It's not an aggressive species, which is probably why he isn't dead. He could have an injured swim bladder system.
But that is the thing. The critter has no problem swimming but just does not unless feeding or stimulated. One indication of this is that once the tank lights turn of the thing gets up and starts swimming around like normal. Hmmm, as odd as this may sound I have to sort of wonder if it could be a light issue as I replaced the tank light around the same time this started. I find this a VERY low possibility but the time frame fits and the new light adds green to the light equation.

Funny thing is that I want to re-home these cichlids so I can go back to keeping Panda Garra which the cichlids seem to enjoy killing. I just can't re-home now with this issue as I'm not about to help someone introduce a fish with issues.

My best guess then would be that he is being dominated. It would be interesting to see how he'd react in a tank away from the alpha. He may be trying to hide.

It's odd, but that whole Acara group does weird things.

My best guess then would be that he is being dominated. It would be interesting to see how he'd react in a tank away from the alpha. He may be trying to hide.

It's odd, but that whole Acara group does weird things.
Ya, that is pretty much my conclusion also. Laying on the substrate but swimming when the lights are off makes no real sense as to a swim bladder issue.

Can't see what happens if in another tank without the other cichlid as I only have the one tank.

Most reactions

Back