Value For Money - Tapwater Conditioners

I use API Stress Coat+. Its got a pump so you pump it one time for every gallon of water. I think I spent 7 USD for the bottle I have. Its lasted me for quite a while.

I also use API Proper PH 8.2. I just bought a new bottle yesterday for 7 USD.

I'm using some King British Safe Guard which I got for around £8 for 500ml in P'H (it was on offer, normally closer to £10).

It:

+ "removes harmful chlorine and chloramines"
+ "detoxifies heavy metals"
+ "removes excess ammonia"
+ contains "protective aloe vera"

It's 10ml per 90 litres.

10ml per 90L!!!

Pond dechlor roughly (depending on brand) £9 for 500L bottle, 10ml does 100 gallons! The one I use does chlorine, chlorimine, any metal etc, ok so it doesnt come with aloe vera or slimecoat, which frankly I dont want. Just an example of how much cheaper pond stuff is compared to anything labelled aquarium use.

I also use Pond declor. Around about £8.00 for a bottle that does 10.000 litres. I've never had a bad experiance with it. As I do weekly water changes in my three tanks, it saves me a fortune.

I've been using API water conditioner for years. I only have to use 1 drop per gallon of water and a $5.99 bottle (16 oz.) treats 9,460 gallons of water. That's not very expensive when you consider the job it does. :)

Well if i remember rightly Deuce Bigalow simply uses bottled water from a store, think thats all he spends, whats that a £1 for a couple of litres :fun:

But personally my tap water is super duper and i dont spend a penny, i do weekly %40 changes on my 340litre :rolleyes:

even for those who use pond dechlor this generally works out cheaper. http://www.evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/Detox_Dechlorinators.html

Im a little too nervous to not use anything, I regularly do 50-60% w/c on my tanks every 5 days, I would be concerned about the chlorine in the water on that size change damaging the filter bacteria or the fish.

Well water, so no dechlorinator on my 50% weekly water changes. When I move out though I'll have to start using it again, hopefully I remember. I have prime handy incase of emergencies.

I just anticipate when i'll need more and order some off eBay.
We are looking at 500ml of Nutrafin for under £9 free P&P. Thats like 14 quid in shops! Every little helps.

Search around the bay, its easy to find.

Link for 2Litre Bottle, unreal V for M

James :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I understand, many water boards now use O2 free radicals to treat their water - hence why many people now don't need to use dechlorinator. BUT don't presume - some water boards (such as my own still use chlorine for water treatment and so I still have to use dechlorinator in my tanks - it's worth phoning and checking though - you could save yourself a lot of money!

That said, I use this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DECHLORINATOR-2-5-ltr-POND-DOCTOR-/150416876590?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item23058b642e#ht_600wt_940

Absolutely great stuff - I do approximately 500+L of water changes every week and this is still nearly full after being purchased a god few months ago!

Well if you really want value, like really really important! Your best approach is to ditch the premade stuff and just go for sodium thiosulfate. This is the main dechloronating product in your dechloronator. Its easy and dirt cheap to get online. Of course it takes some mixing to make your own solutions, but yeah $15 can get you enough to treat almost a quarter million gallons. That better be a lifetime supply or you are more than a hobbiest!

As Mikaila said sodium thiosulphate is the active ingredient in most simple dechlorinators. If I had a source I might go that way. I find that the price per dose is best for me using Prime but the thiosulphate would be an even cheaper alternative if I had a source for it.

Interestingly enough, I just received my annual water quality report. According to this, they add only chlorine at a concentration of 1.53 mg/L. I don't know if that's a high amount or not, but technically I could get by with a simple sodium thiosulphate solution.

So, checking with your water authority might save you some money :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back