Using ChemiClean on a no filter tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yuval5520

Reaction score
I got a little Cyano outbreak and i can get chemipure at my lfs.
Can i use it on the no filter aquarium?
My shrimps?

Would it ruin my cycle?

ChemiClean or ChemiPure ?

They are not the same product. But both are not suited for non-Filtration Aquariums. ChemiClean is used for cyanobacter and would be safer for shrimps, but dying cyanobacter release toxins and can contributes to rapid oxygen depletion. Increased oxygenation is required during treatment.

Best solution is a combination of these methods to improve water quality: Doing water changes, gravel vacuum, reduce lightning intensity / duration and reduce nutrients intake. Avoid stagnant water by adding an air stone.

ChemiClean or ChemiPure ?

They are not the same product. But both are not suited for non-Filtration Aquariums. ChemiClean is used for cyanobacter and would be safer for shrimps, but dying cyanobacter release toxins and can contributes to rapid oxygen depletion. Increased oxygenation is required during treatment.

Best solution is a combination of these methods to improve water quality: Doing water changes, gravel vacuum, reduce lightning intensity / duration and reduce nutrients intake. Avoid stagnant water by adding an air stone.
ChemiClean.

If i will put a large airstone will it be good?

It will help, But you still have to do large water changes to remove the cyanotoxins they will release when dying.

Some of these toxins are neurotoxins that will affect nervous system and other will rupture blood vessels and lead to internal bleeding. There are over 35 different toxins released by these algae when they die.

If you can cope with the cyano without using medication... It would be a lot better. Addressing the underlying factor that causes the bloom in the first place is the real solution.

It will help, But you still have to do large water changes to remove the cyanotoxins they will release when dying.

Some of these toxins are neurotoxins that will affect nervous system and other will rupture blood vessels and lead to internal bleeding. There are over 35 different toxins released by these algae when they die.

If you can cope with the cyano without using medication... It would be a lot better. Addressing the underlying factor that causes the bloom in the first place is the real solution.
By large water change that means like 2 50% ones?

Yes, 50% at each time is good.

Normally I use the filter as witness during treatment...

As soon as it clogs, You need to rinse it and do a water change...

In the case of an unfiltered aquarium, I'm not sure on what I would rely to asses when to do a water change.

But manufacturer states after 48 hours.

Yes, 50% at each time is good.

Normally I use the filter as witness during treatment...

As soon as it clogs, You need to rinse it and do a water change...

In the case of an unfiltered aquarium, I'm not sure on what I would rely to asses when to do a water change.

But manufacturer states after 48 hours.
So 48h after first treatment i will do 505 TWICE

I've used that stuff, but in heavy filtration and not with shrimp. I'd do 50%, then after 4 days, 50 again. Then 3 or 4 more 50% changes over the next couple of weeks.

I don't know if it'll kill shrimp though.

Cyano has often been seasonal here. Water changes help fight it, sometimes. Years ago, I had a tiny bag of lab grade Potassium nitrate fertilizer, and that eliminated cyano. It seems a missing element that gives plants and algae an advantage over cyano. But to buy it here, I need a whole security thing, as it was used by right wing terrorists in the US to make bombs. One kilo is pretty harmless, but I guess if someone makes a thousand purchases, it could get dangerous.

I've used that stuff, but in heavy filtration and not with shrimp. I'd do 50%, then after 4 days, 50 again. Then 3 or 4 more 50% changes over the next couple of weeks.

I don't know if it'll kill shrimp though.

Cyano has often been seasonal here. Water changes help fight it, sometimes. Years ago, I had a tiny bag of lab grade Potassium nitrate fertilizer, and that eliminated cyano. It seems a missing element that gives plants and algae an advantage over cyano. But to buy it here, I need a whole security thing, as it was used by right wing terrorists in the US to make bombs. One kilo is pretty harmless, but I guess if someone makes a thousand purchases, it could get dangerous.
Damn...

Also.
You mean after the 48h 50% then 4 days later another 50% and than again?

I do 30% every week anyway. To remove treatments (and I think that stuff did nothing for a few days, and then suddenly cleared the Cyano - be patient and follow the instructions) I do 50% twice a week for a few weeks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back