Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Plecs are ugly. Not cute-ugly. Just ugly. And bristlenose. Even the albino. Actually especially the albino.
There. I've said it.
Sorry everyone.
I am OFFENDED they are some of the most interesting looking fish in the freshwater world. They are tough as nails and very affectionate and intelligent.

One of the most dangerous fish that newbies are recommended to purchase is the Danio. This fish seems may have one or more very aggressive members - maybe they are the pack leaders. I had one that killed and ate the other Danio in the tank and then ate the fins off one of my other larger and peaceful Gourami, which I had to euthanize. I hate them with a passion. Perhaps this one was unique, or mentally ill, but I've never seen such an aggressive killing machine. Once he was left by himself in a tank full of cherry barbs, he tried to join their group- they wanted nothing to do with him. He did no more killing. NOT a good purchase and not even particularly attractive fish. Stop recommending these fish to newbies or anybody else.

One of the most dangerous fish that newbies are recommended to purchase is the Danio. This fish seems may have one or more very aggressive members - maybe they are the pack leaders. I had one that killed and ate the other Danio in the tank and then ate the fins off one of my other larger and peaceful Gourami, which I had to euthanize. I hate them with a passion. Perhaps this one was unique, or mentally ill, but I've never seen such an aggressive killing machine. Once he was left by himself in a tank full of cherry barbs, he tried to join their group- they wanted nothing to do with him. He did no more killing. NOT a good purchase and not even particularly attractive fish. Stop recommending these fish to newbies or anybody else.
I had the same experience with a Danio, tormented and stressed the Glofish Tetras, Neons, and other Danios. Only fish that survived was a solitary Glofish which we kept solo for over a year. I recently restocked (no Danios) and all is well.

Same experience here! They're little psychopaths lol

What kind of danios are we talking about? There are lots of different kinds, and they have very different temperaments. They really like to be in large schools, so a small number or single one are going to be more aggressive, probably out of boredom.

I've kept giant danios and zebra danios, both in schools of 10+. They weren't aggressive, but they were active. I mean, really hyper. Think kindergarteners drinking mountain dew. I finally got rid of them because their constant activity was keeping my pearl gouramis from eating.

There are no mean fish. There are just aquarists who didn't do their homework and put them in the wrong set ups. Every single time I look back at a fish that behaved in ways I really didn't like, it was a fish living in conditions it didn't really like.
You made the mistake of buying a red tailed shark for a community? It likes to live alone. Your zebra danios are nippy? Get a larger tank, a larger group, and make sure there's water movement.
We get fooled into the idea that a fish is a fish, and if it's in a pet store, it gets along well in almost any tank. But if we look at them as individual species, learn about where they come from and how they live in nature, then the light bulb overhead can go on. We can design tanks for them to thrive in, and cut down on any boredom or crowding type aggression.

After some time with dragon rock... It sucks (I like the look but it's way to holey) Things get all stuck in there and damselfly nymphs can hide and ambush from there... I would still use it but I hate it 😂

The inch per gallon rule always has part missed out. The full rule is 1 inch of torpedo shaped fish which grow no bigger than 3 inches per gallon. The rule cannot be applied to bala sharks (grow bigger than 3 inches) or oscars (grow bigger than 3 inches and not torpedo shaped)

The inch per gallon rule always has part missed out. The full rule is 1 inch of torpedo shaped fish which grow no bigger than 3 inches per gallon. The rule cannot be applied to bala sharks (grow bigger than 3 inches) or oscars (grow bigger than 3 inches and not torpedo shaped)
Oops Mother Nature is a spoiler. She made all kind of fish that don't fit in this (rubbish) rule hahahaha.

Making big water changes every week or even more often is a waste of water and nutrients dosed. If your aquarium can only stay healthy that way,you dont have the right parameters going.
That drives people insane when I say that. EDIT: This meant for planted aquariums.
Same for- Why buy expensive driftwood curvy and nicely grained,if you then TOTALLY cover in epiphytes? Might as well have used any old safe wood you find by a stream.
That one drives aquascapers out of their minds.

Last edited:
Making big water changes every week or even more often is a waste of water and nutrients dosed.
It might be a waste of nutrients but the plants use a lot of nutrients during the week. So a big water change dilutes the remaining nutrients and reduces the risk of overdosing and poisoning the fish.

Big regular water changes also dilute disease organisms and reduce the chance of the fish getting sick.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back