Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

My inpopular opinion is that antropomorfisme more and more enters the hobby / society. We see fish as friends and family, with human characters and habits. Though we should give them the best possible care, we should remember this isn't the case.
True. I tend to think that people who seriously refer to pets as their children don't understand pets or children. :lol:

I saw a documentary about the Salmon that spawn in Alaska and the fishing trade up there. It was talking about how some people make the majority of their money in the short time that the Salmon are spawning because they go out and collect their eggs off all the driftwood and such
The salmon breed in gravel in the fresh water streams and rivers. The salmon eggs are quite large and typically are not very sticky. The herring in the spring do have a season where they breed, and then the herring roe "eggs" are stuck to the rocks, seaweed, driftwood etc. That has been traditionally and is still collected in some parts to eat. Herring season is one of the best times of year to watch wildlife on the ocean.

Unpopular is my opinion that we shouldn't keep certain (social) fish single cause we can't provide enough space to add more / to prevent "agression". Gouramis, Angels, certain Cichlids etc...

We shouldn't adapt the number to the tank but the other way around the tank to the number.

Unpopular is my opinion that we shouldn't keep certain (social) fish single cause we can't provide enough space to add more / to prevent "agression". Gouramis, Angels, certain Cichlids etc...

We shouldn't adapt the number to the tank but the other way around the tank to the number.
I don't think that is too unpopular!

Keeping fish does nothing or very little to the well being of fish in the world. It is entirely for our benefit when we keep a tank. Even if you keep the best maintained tank how many fish died to get you the fish you want. How many die because we encourage others to keep aquariums. We have many ways of rationalizing keeping fish but in the end the activity does more harm overall to the fish and the environment than if we did not keep fish. Just looking at the long term expense I use about 20 cubic meters of water a year just for the water changes, all which has to be treated and pumped to my home. Rough conservative calculation I use just over 2000 kwH of electricity per year ($300). All our power is through hydro-electric dams but that means BC Hydro doesn't have as much power to sell so the end result is more CO2 generated from a coal plant somewhere else. There might be some cottage industry business where there is a small benefit to people keeping fish, thinking about the wild cardinal fish capture in some parts of South America, but overall keeping pets is bad for the environment.

The one benefit for keeping fish is that we become more attuned to other organisms needs but even then it is very specific to the species that we have interest in. I see a lot of people concerned about the welfare of the bettas in sold in cups but I don't see a lot of concern about animals not so cute. When has someone complained here about the pain and suffering a sticky trap for insects or rodents causes, we worry about putting a betta in a 5 gallon tank but eat beef from steers raised in feedlots where they have very little room to move.

And yes I am a hypocrite.

I don't think that is too unpopular!
Hahahaha I think it is if I believe the amount of threads
Keeping fish does nothing or very little to the well being of fish in the world. It is entirely for our benefit when we keep a tank. Even if you keep the best maintained tank how many fish died to get you the fish you want. How many die because we encourage others to keep aquariums. We have many ways of rationalizing keeping fish but in the end the activity does more harm overall to the fish and the environment than if we did not keep fish. Just looking at the long term expense I use about 20 cubic meters of water a year just for the water changes, all which has to be treated and pumped to my home. Rough conservative calculation I use just over 2000 kwH of electricity per year ($300). All our power is through hydro-electric dams but that means BC Hydro doesn't have as much power to sell so the end result is more CO2 generated from a coal plant somewhere else. There might be some cottage industry business where there is a small benefit to people keeping fish, thinking about the wild cardinal fish capture in some parts of South America, but overall keeping pets is bad for the environment.

The one benefit for keeping fish is that we become more attuned to other organisms needs but even then it is very specific to the species that we have interest in. I see a lot of people concerned about the welfare of the bettas in sold in cups but I don't see a lot of concern about animals not so cute. When has someone complained here about the pain and suffering a sticky trap for insects or rodents causes, we worry about putting a betta in a 5 gallon tank but eat beef from steers raised in feedlots where they have very little room to move.

And yes I am a hypocrite.
Think we all are a kind of hypocrites hahahaha. But 20.000 litres of water for waterchanges. How big are your tanks then?

Hahahaha I think it is if I believe the amount of threads

Think we all are a kind of hypocrites hahahaha. But 20.000 litres of water for waterchanges. How big are your tanks then?
20 cubic meters/year (per the post) is 5283 gallons which comes out to roughly 14.5 gal/day. This is about equal to one bathtub per week :)

20 cubic meters/year (per the post) is 5283 gallons which comes out to roughly 14.5 gal/day. This is about equal to one bathtub per week :)
But do you daily waterchanges ? And 14,5 gal/day ? Still sound like an aweful lot.
Discus ?

Hey finally we've found the reason for the reduction of freshwater resources. Hahahaha joking.

I have 6 running aquariums. They get a water change once a week usually about 40 to 60%.
75, 60, 37, 20, 10, 10 gallon tanks for a total of 212 gallons. 50% change gives 106 gallons of water use weekly. Over a year that is 5512 gallons. Given there are about 220 gallons to a cubic meter that gives actually 25 meters cubed. The original number was based on an increase in my water bill we pay $0.98 per m3 and my water bill was about $20 more compared to a few years ago before I started again with fish. I am sure most of you with larger tanks have equal to or more water usage.

Funny that the water amount is nearly the same as the amount of water used for flushing the toilets. With 2 people in my home I flush about 14 gallons a day. Perhaps I could use the aquarium water to provide water for the flushes, just mount the aquariums on the wall above the toilet...

I have 6 running aquariums. They get a water change once a week usually about 40 to 60%.
75, 60, 37, 20, 10, 10 gallon tanks for a total of 212 gallons. 50% change gives 106 gallons of water use weekly. Over a year that is 5512 gallons. Given there are about 220 gallons to a cubic meter that gives actually 25 meters cubed. The original number was based on an increase in my water bill we pay $0.98 per m3 and my water bill was about $20 more compared to a few years ago before I started again with fish. I am sure most of you with larger tanks have equal to or more water usage.

Funny that the water amount is nearly the same as the amount of water used for flushing the toilets. With 2 people in my home I flush about 14 gallons a day. Perhaps I could use the aquarium water to provide water for the flushes, just mount the aquariums on the wall above the toilet...
That was my guess, that you had a bunch of tanks with large % WCs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back