Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

I should have mentioned I meant for plant aquariums not fish only that of course see much more food and waste that follows.
If you have big Cichlids..change as much as needed unless you have a super filter system going.

I should have mentioned I meant for plant aquariums not fish only that of course see much more food and waste that follows.
If you have big Cichlids..change as much as needed unless you have a super filter system going.
I completely agree, the amount of plants often scales with water changes needed. I've even seen several examples of "ecosystem tanks", aquariums where plants and bacteria take up all excess nutrients, and only top offs are needed!

Now for my unpopular opinion, heaters probably don't need to be used as liberally as most of us think. Think about it, bodies of water are rarely the balmy temps that we think our fish need, even in tropical areas. next time you swim in a lake or river, notice the temperature difference between just meters of depth. I doubt even most tropical fish need any more than what most homes provide. Of course, there are exceptions, and this isn't a blanket statement, but I think heater may not be necessary for most applications.

Here's what I learned from internet fish boards. Fish people? Are not open minded at all. I have had to listen to the resident status quo on various boards tell me I'm wrong even when I have photos as proof.
Like that Dr. Novak on youtube says "Post on an aquarium board a different view and you will get beaten up". Its true.
I post on garden boards..no problems and I always push zones with exotic plants. No arguments. On fish boards? wow,some very closed minded people want to block you- then it happens.
I've been at this 50 years just about. Worked in Natural Sciences and never met a professional react like people on fish boards-ha.

Here's what I learned from internet fish boards. Fish people? Are not open minded at all. I have had to listen to the resident status quo tell me I'm wrong even with photos as proof.
Like that Dr. Novak on youtube says "Post on a aquarium board a different view and you will get beaten up". Its true.
I post on garden boards..no problems and I always push zones with exotic plants. No arguments. On fish boards? wow,some very closed minded people want to block you- then it happens.
I've been at this 50 years just about. Worked in Natural Sciences and never met a professional react like people on fish boards-ha.
I've seen similar on reptile forums, guessing it's got to do with the misconception that these hobbies are exact sciences? It seems to me that rules of thumb, experience, and estimation are better markers of success than rigid rules that people cling to.

That's it. wow- You said it perfect. When they argue that you are wrong while you notice not one of those has tried a method you brought up and succeeded with? It can really make you see that the board is probably dominated by a group of set minded people. Or else learn what they approve of since 1999.:)

I feel that it might be turning around though, with the rise of information in the past decade or two. Now, people are probably more exposed to unconventional methods via youtube, innovative product ads, or any other means really. With the influx of people trying to keep exotic pets during the past year or so, i'm hoping to see dialogue and a new interest in these hobbies.

Rep,Over the last year there has been a big increase in more natural aquariums that resemble high tech without all the gear. That's what people who worship the fizzy water hate to hear it seems. I never had my big aquarium set up for plants in the decades I've had it and it took three years to realize- if the fish are healthy and fed well,you get thick growths of plants to the point you can go months without water change and IF the fish load is very light,you might never need to make a water change. All,while having little to no problems with algae. Sounds good right? Aquarium plant boards just shout you down.
The last straw is telling somebody their method wont work even as you post photos and when they admit they've never tried it while saying "no"? That's not a board to be part of.
Don't people want less wattage,less wasting water and much less pouring fertilizers into their aquariums and sewer systems?
I guess they don't.

Rep,Over the last year there has been a big increase in more natural aquariums that resemble high tech without all the gear. That's what people who worship the fizzy water hate to hear it seems. I never had my big aquarium set up for plants in the decades I've had it and it took three years to realize- if the fish are healthy and fed well,you get thick growths of plants to the point you can go months without water change and IF the fish load is very light,you might never need to make a water change. All,while having little to no problems with algae. Sounds good right? Aquarium plant boards just shout you down.
The last straw is telling somebody their method wont work even as you post photos and when they admit they've never tried it while saying "no"? That's not a board to be part of.
Don't people want less wattage,less wasting water and much less pouring fertilizers into their aquariums and sewer systems?
I guess they don't.
yeah, co2 means faster growth, not necessarily better. While I do use co2 injection, that's just one way to go about it. everything should be molded to the application regardless. I think that's what I really love about the hobby, the diversity of methods and technology that leads to living art. there's a guy who runs a channel called MD fish tanks, most of his tanks are a showcase of low tech success, with a couple even deserving a spot in an ADA gallery, that's actually where I discovered the no change method.

I do personally have a bias for high tech systems, the technology is just so fun to tinker with. I'm in it for the plants, so being able to see them grow so rapidly is amazing. the trimming, the lights, the co2, I just don't find low tech quite as appealing. I'm hopeful to see more people innovate and develop the hobby, and have considered working in the industry (still am actually).

note: sorry for the small rant 😅

I might not be completely unbiassed being a mod and all, but I find that most people on this board are pretty open minded regarding different approaches. (there are always some exceptions, but that's life) Even among the mods there are some who prefer the more high tech approach and some that are more on the low tech side. I think that's part of what's fun about this hobby--seeing how people with a completely different approach can still make it work.

Here's what I learned from internet fish boards. Fish people? Are not open minded at all. I have had to listen to the resident status quo on various boards tell me I'm wrong even when I have photos as proof.
Like that Dr. Novak on youtube says "Post on an aquarium board a different view and you will get beaten up". Its true.
Agree with this to a certain extent.

Last edited:
High tech has results. Its like secondary issues that cause the status quo to turn on you and its a sure thing they will. Its like a sports board and you hear "He's made 25,000 posts and a mod" Does that make him right?..nah. But you get the boot. Novack and a few others on youtube wont do boards now. They would be a magnet since aquarium plant boards regularly say "He's been debunked". I get that too. Sure, debunked by who? I bring photos?...not good enough. Ugh.-lol.

I might not be completely unbiassed being a mod and all, but I find that most people on this board are pretty open minded regarding different approaches. (there are always some exceptions, but that's life) Even among the mods there are some who prefer the more high tech approach and some that are more on the low tech side. I think that's part of what's fun about this hobby--seeing how people with a completely different approach can still make it work.
yes, I don't mean it as a blanket statement (though I can't speak for anyone else), for me it's mostly been little things I've observed, people just a little too adamant in their opinions, or playing king of the hill with moral high-ground when talking about husbandry standards. Most people i've talked to on this forum have been very helpful, curious, and open. It seems to be more general, underlying hobby biases, and it's much worse in reptile forums. but I'm still fairly new, and haven't had the chance to see how opinions have morphed and from what.

What I did notice also? The people who said "He has a point"..were then afraid to speak up when the status quo went off. So,thats how you keep the same people and same ideas and how you drive away all others.

What I did notice also? The people who said "He has a point"..were then afraid to speak up when the status quo went off. So,thats how you keep the same people and same ideas and how you drive away all others.
if you're referring to my reply, I didn't backtrack, I just have a mild opinion of the issue, and just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to point fingers or cause conflict. my opinion didn't change, nor did I compromise it.

Didn't have you in mind at all Rep. The other boards where I went from being somebody with some new and different ideas to a heretic in about three weeks. From people saying tell us more to the pure hate from the status quo people who were advising the opposite. There was no try it his way. There's only do it our way from the other aquarium plant boards. No,a lush aquarium according to them didn't mean a thing.
Novak really hit it on the button.

Most reactions

trending

Back