Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

I had one guy - Yuagang I think it was who make a physical threat to me. But he was pushing the status quo. No ban for him. Ukaps mods ignored what he said then locked the topic.

Didn't have you in mind at all Rep. The other boards where I went from being somebody with some new and different ideas to a heretic in about three weeks. From people saying tell us more to the pure hate from the status quo people who advising the opposite. There was no try it his way. There's only do it our way from the other aquarium plant boards. No,a lush aquarium according to them didn't mean a thing.
Novak really hit it on the button.
oh, sorry then for the comment. it seems you've had particularly bad experiences, I've been lucky enough to avoid that kind of thing, and haven't really seen that, and certainly not here.

It seems to be more general, underlying hobby biases, and it's much worse in reptile forums. but I'm still fairly new, and haven't had the chance to see how opinions have morphed and from what.
I got gang-jumped on a reptile forum one time because I mentioned I was thinking about keeping a wild caught lizard, even though the lizard in question is extremely common, legal to catch, and from all accounts fairly easy to keep healthy in captivity. But none of that mattered; there was a forum opinion that wild-caught=bad, and that was that. People sometimes pick weird things to get dogmatic about.

I got gang-jumped on a reptile forum one time because I mentioned I was thinking about keeping a wild caught lizard, even though the lizard in question is extremely common, legal to catch, and from all accounts fairly easy to keep healthy in captivity. But none of that mattered; there was a forum opinion that wild-caught=bad, and that was that. People sometimes pick weird things to get dogmatic about.
Yeah, it can get brutal, and wild caught is one of the most inflammatory issues. I do think that Wild caught is almost never a great idea, at least as a pet and not a breeding project. But I see little harm in keeping a common, local species that didn't have to be shipped overseas. I have found that you really have to be tactful to keep some topics civil in some of those forums. Compliments to your role on this forum, haven't seen any of that on here. I think the only more divisive topic is sand, there is no parallel i've found in the aquatic hobby, betta tank size does approach it though.

One trick? Is just when things get a little quiet? You wake up one morn to a regular who has posted rheems and links and "he is bad"..and the mods are fine with that. When I say "Seems like you never learn"..the board says "Thats being a bully". Sure it is. The fact that Yuang said he could "wipe the floor with me"..didn't seem to warrant any warning from the mods at ukaps.I've seen that a few times when i make some inroads?,The big man on campus panic's and truly flames the topic.
Its like some tactic!

One trick? Is just when things get a little quiet? You wake up one morn to a regular who has posted rheems and links and "he is bad"..and the mods are fine with that. When I say "Seems like you never learn"..the board says "Thats being a bully". Sure it is. The fact that Yuang said he could "wipe the floor with me"..didn't seem to warrant any warning from the mods at ukaps.I've seen that a few times when i make some inroads?,The big man on campus panic's and truly flames the topic.
Its like some tactic!
I'm reading this thread and I must say(please don't take offence), but this argument gives off so many british vibes

Edit: by this thread I mean the one that Stan is referring to

Last edited:
Don't anger the Brits!, there's only around 30 countries they haven't invaded 😅
Be grateful England took over countries and not some other places. There's a lot of countries that would have wiped out everyone living there if they took over. Even today there are groups of "people" that are trying to expand their empire and they kill anyone who doesn't conform to their ideals.

Fishkeeping...more than any other animal keeping...can be very contentious

Quite literally whatever works for one person, will never work or very rarely work for another person.

The reason is simple.

Water.

It does not matter how good you are at keeping fish, unless you live on the same street as each other, you will NEVER experience the exact same water chemistry.

Dogs, cats etc all have the same brands of food, same brands of treats etc regardless of where you are on the planet so there is rarely any onupmanship tween owners like there is amongst the fishkeepers

Water is an essential part of fishkeeping, fish do not survive without water (unless its a Blenny) and no two countries, no two regions share the exact same water quality or chemistry...and that alone has a huge bearing on what any one person can or cannot keep in their aquarium

So we argue about species of fish and how to keep them and then we argue that "you live there, your water is too......hard/soft/acid/alkaline etc"

Such a simple ingredient, such an innocent ingredient in the life of a fishkeeper can and does cause all sorts of arguments. Then occasionally you find those who buck the rules and have fish living long and healthy lives in water that, on paper, should be as far away from the optimum as you can get....and the "are you sure?"......"that's not possible, you can't have THAT fish in THAT water"

Water is a pain in the butt...literally. Especially if, like me, your water supply has more additives than the average tin of baked beans.

Fish are bred thesedays to accept huge ranges of pH, hardness etc that they would never have in the wild....and that just adds fuel to the contentious fire.

I use bottled water and a 24w UV and silicone plants and ceramic rock caves....everything that gives some purist fishkeepers a cold sweat and palpitations.

But it works for my fish, they live long and illness/disease free lives and that is surely the whole ethos of keeping fish...keep them healthy, let them live long and happy lives and do it all within the best of your own ability....and do it with either the water that is provided or by using other sources of water

Water...that infinite resource that we all depend on to live...will ALWAYS have a bearing on what you can keep, how you can keep when you are a fishkeeper. No two fishkeepers will EVER be the same, even if they have the same fish.

Fishkeeping...more than any other animal keeping...can be very contentious
[...]

Dogs, cats etc all have the same brands of food, same brands of treats etc regardless of where you are on the planet so there is rarely any onupmanship tween owners like there is amongst the fishkeepers
While I agree with your points regarding water, when it comes to dogs at least, I can promise you, there is more than enough one upmanship to go around!

I've seen it all, and there are many topics that go in and out of fashion and cause many a heated debate, with factions on all sides drawing lines in the sand and escalating to calling opposing factions animal abusers. Just some of those topics I've seen cause people to hurl slurs at each other;

Grain-free food
Raw feeding
Collars vs harnesses
Which types of harness are acceptable, which are labelled torture devices because the lead clips on slightly differently
Rescue only vs "quality breeders acceptable"
Training methods
Which breeds are smarter (endless butt-hurt)
The great pitbull debate - leading to a lot of nature vs nurture, neither side willing to listen to the other, just a chance to soapbox
Health problems in specific breeds
Crating

I could go on and on. Some of those are real issues in the dog world, some, like, like the harnesses, are petty, but people get seriously heated about. And feeding? OMG. You're a heretic for even suggesting that canned dog food is fine, let alone that they're all the same! ;) You HAVE to go grain-free. Except whoops, now research says that grain-free will cause cancer in your dog (I think, can't remember the problems regarding grain free, but grain free was pushed for a long time by the one uppers, then dropped after later research) and you're a monster if you're not raw-feeding your dog.

People are people, and there are always those who will find a reason to look down their nose at you. Especially on topics in their niche area of interest and personal passions. Luckily, the vast majority of people are more reasonable! At least, telling myself that it's the majority keeps me sane (ish).

Umm ok ill post one of mine I guess

I sometimes think wild-caught fish is ok in certain situations, in lots of places where fish are wild court the area is rather poor. Allowing wild court permits and regulating the catch can provide income to people that have very few other options. Also, in any case, the options for work that these people have other than wild catching off fish are even more environmentally damaging. I'll give a saltwater example, in part of Thailand there was mass bomb and cyanide fishing this destroyed huge parts of the reef and was a big problem. After people started catching fish from the reef for the hobby the cases of these fishing practices decreased. Also, local people cared more about protecting teh reef as teh reef directly provided them with income teh healthier the reef the more fish to catch. This has allowed the reef to recover as people are unwilling to overfish because if a species goes extinct in their area then they lose the money from that export. This can also apply to freshwater, If people are allowed under permit to catch fish then things like mass deforestation and exploitative fish can decrease.
Also many fish like cardinal tetras come from seasonally flooding forests, so these fish would die anyway due to the decrease of water.
Don't get me wrong I don't think we should go out and catch everything and if we can breed it in captivity then that is better and I think we should focus more on that to have healthy captive breed fish. But I think wild court fish are far more multidimensional than people think it not just some people taking all the fish out of the river for profit, there are benefits as well.
Overfishing can become a problem as we see in pea puffers but there are a few cases where there are real positives

Umm ok ill post one of mine I guess

I sometimes think wild-caught fish is ok in certain situations, in lots of places where fish are wild court the area is rather poor. Allowing wild court permits and regulating the catch can provide income to people that have very few other options. Also, in any case, the options for work that these people have other than wild catching off fish are even more environmentally damaging. I'll give a saltwater example, in part of Thailand there was mass bomb and cyanide fishing this destroyed huge parts of the reef and was a big problem. After people started catching fish from the reef for the hobby the cases of these fishing practices decreased. Also, local people cared more about protecting teh reef as teh reef directly provided them with income teh healthier the reef the more fish to catch. This has allowed the reef to recover as people are unwilling to overfish because if a species goes extinct in their area then they lose the money from that export. This can also apply to freshwater, If people are allowed under permit to catch fish then things like mass deforestation and exploitative fish can decrease.
Also many fish like cardinal tetras come from seasonally flooding forests, so these fish would die anyway due to the decrease of water.
Don't get me wrong I don't think we should go out and catch everything and if we can breed it in captivity then that is better and I think we should focus more on that to have healthy captive breed fish. But I think wild court fish are far more multidimensional than people think it not just some people taking all the fish out of the river for profit, there are benefits as well.
Overfishing can become a problem as we see in pea puffers but there are a few cases where there are real positives
Agree for the biggest part.
I only doubt it is okay to catch Cardinals cause they would have died anyway. I think that is a wrong assumption / conclusion.
In the dry season these flooded forrest / swamps will partly dry out, but that doesn't mean all cardinals will be caught there and die. It is part of their lifecycle and will for the biggest part survive in bigger streams and lakes.

ah ok that's fair, it was just something i saw in a documentory

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back