Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

Contact your local Age UK...they usually have at least a couple of blokes able to lend a little muscle, when required. Offer to make a donation, (it'll probably be declined).

Because a tank is expensive and, more to the point, breakable. Two guys carry it from your distant kerb (;)), you fill it and it leaks...who is going to get the blame?
Erm...I am not old enough for Age UK :p

Sadly in this country those under 60 like me are assumed to still have family alive and kicking, which is not always the case.

Erm...I am not old enough for Age UK :p

Sadly in this country those under 60 like me are assumed to still have family alive and kicking, which is not always the case.
Same deal in Australia. Unless you are over 90 everyone expects you to have family and friends. News flash people, not everyone dies before their children and family members die. Some of us just drag on and on and on waiting to die.

These are the questions I get asked by doctors and staff at hospitals. Their question is on the left, my response is after the -
emergency contact - none
next of kin - none
friends - none
who do we contact if you die - who cares, I will be dead

Black neons are super underrated and despite being called a "black" fish they're actually pretty colorful. Pictures online just don't do them justice. In real life they've not nice blue tips on their fins, a bright red spot above their eye, and the shiny stripe down their body can look blue, silver, gold, or even a little bit green depending oh how the light hits it, they're really a beautiful fish.

Black neons are super underrated and despite being called a "black" fish they're actually pretty colorful. Pictures online just don't do them justice. In real life they've not nice blue tips on their fins, a bright red spot above their eye, and the shiny stripe down their body can look blue, silver, gold, or even a little bit green depending oh how the light hits it, they're really a beautiful fish.
DSCN3724.JPG

DSCN3763.JPG

Ooohh, grabbing the popcorn for this thread!
My unpopular opinion is that over testing takes away from the enjoyment of fish keeping. Worrying about parameters all the time etc… In my 35 years of fish keeping, I’ve never put a thought into PH, hardness, etc.. I test weekly for nitrates and keep a strict maintenance schedule and let my fishes behavior and appearance tell me if something is wrong. I’ve kept just about everything from reefs to rifties and almost everything in between and this has served me well.

My unpopular opinion is that over testing takes away from the enjoyment of fish keeping. Worrying about parameters all the time etc… In my 35 years of fish keeping, I’ve never put a thought into PH, hardness, etc.. I test weekly for nitrates and keep a strict maintenance schedule and let my fishes behavior and appearance tell me if something is wrong. I’ve kept just about everything from reefs to rifties and almost everything in between and this has served me well.
I agree😄
When you know your fish, they will "tell" you when something is wrong. Especially if your tank/s are established and mature. I find it a pain to get the test kit out, fill the test tubes, go through the testing process.... it does detract from the joy of the hobby for me. I know for some it's a part of fish keeping but it's not my favourite part of the hobby😅

Although, as a newbie fish keeper, I test for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate often. Once I have more experience then I'll probably not test all the parameters as often. Maybe I should get some of those testing strips you simply dunk in the water to get a quick reading...

I agree😄
When you know your fish, they will "tell" you when something is wrong. Especially if your tank/s are established and mature. I find it a pain to get the test kit out, fill the test tubes, go through the testing process.... it does detract from the joy of the hobby for me. I know for some it's a part of fish keeping but it's not my favourite part of the hobby😅

Although, as a newbie fish keeper, I test for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate often. Once I have more experience then I'll probably not test all the parameters as often. Maybe I should get some of those testing strips you simply dunk in the water to get a quick reading...
If you’re getting nitrate readings, I wouldn’t worry about ammonia or nitrite unless you’re over stocked heavily or did something that might have caused your BB to die off.

alright, everyone gets to share unpopular opinions they have. Fish related.

I'll start.

Neon tetras are mean little turds.
Another unpopular opinion I have is that in many circumstances, salt is is easier than freshwater. I’m mainly referring to FOWLR or reefs with dirty water corals

My inpopular opinion is that antropomorfisme more and more enters the hobby / society. We see fish as friends and family, with human characters and habits. Though we should give them the best possible care, we should remember this isn't the case.

My inpopular opinion is that antropomorfisme more and more enters the hobby / society. We see fish as friends and family, with human characters and habits. Though we should give them the best possible care, we should remember this isn't the case.
But my fish are SO happy, I can just tell, you know?

/sarcasm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back