Tropical Storm Preparation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JemZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
It's that time of year again.

I live in Tampa and am in the path of Hurricane Elsa, and of course, my concern is with my fish tanks. I have two, but only one holds a fish. Power loss is likely and thus the loss of water movement is too. Taking water out and pouring it back in is an option but will not last forever.

Any tips? The tank is a bin and if absolutely necessary I can lid it and take it in the car but many of the problems that will exist with a loss of power will remain.

Get a battery operated air pump or two. Do you have any media in your filter that you can put on top of an air stick or disk that you can hook up to the air pump?

Fill the fridge and freezer with bags of ice. Freeze treated water in ice cubes or freeze water bottles to float to keep water temperature down in tank. also the ice will keep your food cold, just try not to open the fridge/freezer more than needed if the power goes out.

Do you have any media in your filter that you can put on top of an air stick or disk that you can hook up to the air pump?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I do have a manual air pump that works with my airstone and can be operated if necessary.

Fill the fridge and freezer with bags of ice. Freeze treated water in ice cubes or freeze water bottles to float to keep water temperature down in tank. also the ice will keep your food cold, just try not to open the fridge/freezer more than needed if the power goes out.

I've got a couple of battery-powered fans that can be used for temperature control, but the ice idea is a good one; I've started getting some ready now

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I do have a manual air pump that works with my airstone and can be operated if necessary.

The current from the bubbles (from the air stick or disc) will cause water to flow through your filter media in case the power is out, similar to a sponge filter.

I second the idea for battery powered air pumps.

The fans are a good idea, just make sure they are consistent.

How big is the tank?

Battery powered air pumps

Do a 50-75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 24 hours before the storm hits so the tank is cleaner if/ when there is a power failure. Clean the filter too for the same reason.

If there is a power failure that is going to last more than a few hours, put the filter media in the aquarium and it will survive longer there.

Don't feed the fish on the day of the storm. If you have to feed them, do it in the morning so the filter has a few hours to clean up any ammonia before the power failure.

I have a battery powered Marina air pump that lasted almost 3 days using two 2D batteries. Look on Amazon because I had a difficult time finding them in a local pet store. If you loose power in the summer freeze water bottles to float in the tank. Like Boundava suggested! I lost power in the winter, so I had to boil water and float warm water in zip lock bags to keep my temperature stable. I did this all day and all night. Good luck and I hope you don't loose power!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210705-205237_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210705-205237_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 41
Do a 50-75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 24 hours before the storm hits so the tank is cleaner if/ when there is a power failure. Clean the filter too for the same reason.

Don't feed the fish on the day of the storm. If you have to feed them, do it in the morning so the filter has a few hours to clean up any ammonia before the power failure.
Those are great tips too, I would add that the fish could go a couple days without feeding too, that would cut down on any additional waste.

Hoping for the best for you.

Battery powered air pumps

If there is a power failure that is going to last more than a few hours, put the filter media in the aquarium and it will survive longer there.

Do you mean to put the filter cartridge itself into the tank?

Hopefully, the power is not out too long but since I won't be able to get the air pumps in time, I might have to stay up and work the manual air pump at night to make sure she gets oxygen.

Good advice on the feeding 👍

I have a battery powered Marina air pump that lasted almost 3 days using two 2D batteries. Look on Amazon because I had a difficult time finding them in a local pet store. If you loose power in the summer freeze water bottles to float in the tank. Like Boundava suggested! I lost power in the winter, so I had to boil water and float warm water in zip lock bags to keep my temperature stable. I did this all day and all night. Good luck and I hope you don't loose power!

I found it on Chewy, I will order it for sure! Thanks :)

Most reactions

trending

Back