Transparent White Specks on Aquarium Glass

TheTavish

Reaction score
Hello, I just got Ich (verified,) and have moved my fish (6 white skirt tetras) from their 20L to a 10g hospital tank. This will be their home until the Ich is gone from the main (now shrimp only) tank. I'm beginning to notice these on the tank glass. Any idea as to what they may be? From what I've seen, hydra have much longer bodies..

Attachments

• 20230727_003308.jpg
    20230727_003308.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230727_003255.jpg
    20230727_003255.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230727_003855.jpg
    20230727_003855.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 18
Main tank has them too. Tank may be dirty, as it's being cycled using extra fish flakes and has stratum for substrate (so pun intended I guess...) but these little things do sway in the current and seem to be adhering to the glass.

Also all of my neon tetras died, but I think it was a combination of stress, having Ich spots, and being kept in the same 10g hospital tank as the white skirts (they bullied the lil guys a bit.)

Were the neons in the tank that is being cycled with fish food?

If you use a fish food to a fishless cycle a tank, use a dry pellet that doesn't fall apart when wet, and remove it every few days or whenever the ammonia is around 3ppm.

Were the neons in the tank that is being cycled with fish food?

If you use a fish food to a fishless cycle a tank, use a dry pellet that doesn't fall apart when wet, and remove it every few days or whenever the ammonia is around 3ppm.
They were, however it was being assisted with Seachem's Prime and Stability. There wasn't much fish food, just enough extra to Kickstart things and support the spores in the Stability.

You don't need to add extra food if you are doing s fish in cycle. The fish continually produce ammonia and only need a normal amount of food. If you have too much rotting food in the tank, you get an ammonia reading and the fish die.

Noted. The main tank is of course fish-free now... Heavily planted (dwarf sag, water wisteria & anubias,) only about 6 neocaridinas in there, think it'll need supplementation with fish flakes?

If you have a well planted aquarium, it will struggle to cycle with any form of ammonia. This is because the plants will use most, if not all of the ammonia in the water. If you have a heavily planted tank, let it run for a couple of weeks so the plants can become established, then add fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back