transparent leaves?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ella777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I recently got two plants from a man selling his tank. He had co2 in his tank but I do not. My leaves have started turning transparent and I dont know what type of plants they are. I dont know what to do with it because its grown rather big and the fish love it. There are dead leaves floating around the tank. I'm going to get some more plants for my new tank that dont need co2, but I'm wondering if my new plants will turn transparent even if I'm giving them fertilisers? Can someone tell me what my plants are called and what to do to help them?

Attachments

• 20221010_150838.jpg
    20221010_150838.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221010_150847.jpg
    20221010_150847.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221010_161828.jpg
    20221010_161828.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221010_161824.jpg
    20221010_161824.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 29
The plant in the blue pot in photos 1 and 4 is a species of Amazon sword, probably Echinodorus grisebachii var. bleheri. This plant may react to the CO2 but leave it alone and chances are it will regrow. New leaves arise from the centre of the crown on these plants, while the older outer leaves may/will die off. The change in CO2 is likely the main issue here. Without CO2 these plants will grow beautifully; forcing growth with mega light and CO2 may improve growth but it can be just as beautiful without all this, and the fish will certainly be in better condition. Substrate fertilizer tabs, like Seachem's Flourish Tabs, will greatly help the sword(s).

The other two photos is a stem plant, not sure which, my knowledge of these is limited because stem plants never did well in my tanks due to the lower light, and I never used (nor would I ever use) CO2.

All plants will usually respond to dramatic changes in light and/or nutrients, so none of this is a surprise. The swords should recover, the stem plant I don't know.

The plant in the blue pot in photos 1 and 4 is a species of Amazon sword, probably Echinodorus grisebachii var. bleheri. This plant may react to the CO2 but leave it alone and chances are it will regrow. New leaves arise from the centre of the crown on these plants, while the older outer leaves may/will die off. The change in CO2 is likely the main issue here. Without CO2 these plants will grow beautifully; forcing growth with mega light and CO2 may improve growth but it can be just as beautiful without all this, and the fish will certainly be in better condition. Substrate fertilizer tabs, like Seachem's Flourish Tabs, will greatly help the sword(s).

The other two photos is a stem plant, not sure which, my knowledge of these is limited because stem plants never did well in my tanks due to the lower light, and I never used (nor would I ever use) CO2.

All plants will usually respond to dramatic changes in light and/or nutrients, so none of this is a surprise. The swords should recover, the stem plant I don't know.
Why wouldnt you ever use co2? Should I plant these plants in substrate? They are in the pots temporarily because that's how they came

Also, what fertilisers do you use? Should I use fertilisers and tabs? I currently use this one, the man used this one too

Attachments

• 16654193510193524806833215071323.jpg
    16654193510193524806833215071323.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 30
Also, what fertilisers do you use? Should I use fertilisers and tabs? I currently use this one, the man used this one too

I've never used Tropica fertilizers, but they have a good reputation. From what it says on their website (linked below) this should be fine. But do not overdose. With no diffused CO2, and presumably less intense light, the plants have no need for as many other nutrients. Everything has to be balanced to the light. Too much light, or too much fertilizer, will lead to problem algae. I would however get the substrate tabs for the sword(s), these really do make a huge difference as these are heavy feeders, and you want to get it balanced again.

I've never used Tropica fertilizers, but they have a good reputation. From what it says on their website (linked below) this should be fine. But do not overdose. With no diffused CO2, and presumably less intense light, the plants have no need for as many other nutrients. Everything has to be balanced to the light. Too much light, or too much fertilizer, will lead to problem algae. I would however get the substrate tabs for the sword(s), these really do make a huge difference as these are heavy feeders, and you want to get it balanced again.

Can I ask how long you've worked with fish? You seem to know a lot.
Question about the algae, I have 6 snails, shrimp, loaches and an algae eating fish. Should I let algae grow so they can eat? As I said, I'm setting up a new tank so would it be good to grow algae for food?

Can I ask how long you've worked with fish? You seem to know a lot.
Question about the algae, I have 6 snails, shrimp, loaches and an algae eating fish. Should I let algae grow so they can eat? As I said, I'm setting up a new tank so would it be good to grow algae for food?

Thanks for the kind words...but I will readily admit that my knowledge is limited to very specific aspects. I've kept fish for more than 30 years and I have picked up what I needed with respect to water chemistry but it is a very minimal level, just enough to avoid trouble!

Algae has two forms. Common green algae is natural in any aquarium, and can be kept well in hand by proper maintenance. You don't even see most of it. Snails and shrimp will keep this in check, and at water changes you clean the inside of the front glass (side panels aree up to you), vacuum to some extent the substrate, and keep the filter media cleaned. Provided the fish are not overloading the system, or being overfed, things should balance out.

Problem algae is what occurs when the light and nutrient load are not balanced for the needs of the plants. This is in a planted tank, obviously. Without live plants, algae is naturally going to be more obvious but it is a benefit not a hindrance when there are no plants. In planted tanks we do not want problem algae because this can suffocate and kill the plants. Keeping the balance of light and nutrients does take some thought. There are basically no fish that will keep problem algae under wraps, and snails and shrimp are useless.

As for allowing algae to be food for fish...which fish exactly? All fish that will eat algae are very specific as to the algae species they will or may eat. Otos, bristlenose plecos, Farlowella (Twig Catfish) for example will chow down on common algae from every surface, but they will not go near "problem" algae. So in planted tanks keeping the problem algae out is important.

Wow, 30 years is older than me!
I get what you mean now. I finally found out what the algae eater is called, it's a Panda Garra. Another question, can they live in pairs? He seems very happy by himself

Wow, 30 years is older than me!
I get what you mean now. I finally found out what the algae eater is called, it's a Panda Garra. Another question, can they live in pairs? He seems very happy by himself

Seriously Fish has this about the Panda Garra:

It isn’t particularly tolerant of conspecifics but normally exists in loose aggregations in the wild. If kept singly it tends to behave more aggressively with similarly-shaped fishes so we recommend the purchase of 3-4 or more should space permit. Such a group will develop a noticeable pecking order between themselves but tankmates are more likely to be left alone. What appear to be hierarchical disputes will sometimes occur and involve charging, flaring of fins and an overall paling of the body colouration.​

So, on its own is not problematic. BTW, Seriously Fish is the premier site to go to for data on the requirements of a species. There are a very few others, but none as comprehensive as SF.

Full profile here:

Seriously Fish has this about the Panda Garra:

It isn’t particularly tolerant of conspecifics but normally exists in loose aggregations in the wild. If kept singly it tends to behave more aggressively with similarly-shaped fishes so we recommend the purchase of 3-4 or more should space permit. Such a group will develop a noticeable pecking order between themselves but tankmates are more likely to be left alone. What appear to be hierarchical disputes will sometimes occur and involve charging, flaring of fins and an overall paling of the body colouration.​

So, on its own is not problematic. BTW, Seriously Fish is the premier site to go to for data on the requirements of a species. There are a very few others, but none as comprehensive as SF.

Full profile here:
Aggressive alone? Mine seems very friendly with tank mates, should I get more?

Aggressive alone? Mine seems very friendly with tank mates, should I get more?

No, I would not risk what seems to be working. Individual fish, just like individual animals of any species do not always fit the mold, but if all are peaceful, don't rock the boat. Tank size is a factor too, I don't know that here but a group will need quite a large tank.

No, I would not risk what seems to be working. Individual fish, just like individual animals of any species do not always fit the mold, but if all are peaceful, don't rock the boat. Tank size is a factor too, I don't know that here but a group will need quite a large tank.
Okay

I've always kept panda garra in groups and I've never seen any aggression. They mostly just ignore each other. But if yours seems happy by himself, why mess with a good thing?

How big is your tank? Pardon me if you already said.

I've always kept panda garra in groups and I've never seen any aggression. They mostly just ignore each other. But if yours seems happy by himself, why mess with a good thing?

How big is your tank? Pardon me if you already said.
Okay! My current tank is 70l uk and my new tank is 200l uk

200l would be plenty big for a group of five or so, if you want to go that way. They are the most under-rated algae eater/bottom feeder in the hobby in my opinion. :)

Most reactions

trending

Back