mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently my husband decided he wanted to start a North American Native tank & we have received 5 young (probably 1 week - 4 week old) Green Sunfish. In attempt to have 1 less tank in the house (yeah..right.
wink.png
  ) We decided to add our shubunkin koi to the tank (5)  because we had heard of people keeping them together with success. Everything seemed to be fine on day 1 & 2 of housing them together. Today, day 3, ALL of our shubunkins had been extremely bullied and their long flowing fins torn to pieces. The 2 smaller koi's are missing some scales on their sides as well. 

We have now moved them back into their regular home, and plan on treating them with some aquarium salt. 

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to heal their fins and scales. Will their fins ever go back to normal or stay tattered? 

Please Help! 

Hi, their fins will eventually heal, just good clean water and some salt will do the trick.
The places where there scales used to be will darken and grow back.
I've had experience with this, and all that's needed is stress free time and good quality water.

it does take a bit of time though, proper nutrients in the food will help

Ch4rlie said:
What's a Green Sunfish?
A Green Sunfish is a native freshwater fish (normally found in wild) to north america. And are normally a popular fish caught by fishermen (along with other Sunfish species) They are really beautiful & while they are aggressive towards other fish, they have wonderful personalities that all differ in each fish. You could compare their personalities to a really happy and "Sassy" betta fish at times. This picture below is of a male adult. (Not one of mine)
LongearSunfishBartCarter.jpg

nic1 said:
Hi, their fins will eventually heal, just good clean water and some salt will do the trick.
The places where there scales used to be will darken and grow back.
I've had experience with this, and all that's needed is stress free time and good quality water.

DerpPH said:
it does take a bit of time though, proper nutrients in the food will help

Thank You very much, how often should I treat the tank with salt?

You only need to add salt once, unless you change the water, in which case you'd need to replace some.

About 1 tablespoon per gallon is the dosage for this sort of thing.

On a side note; you're keeping koi in a tank? They really ought to be in a pond (unless your tank is huge, and by 'huge' I mean larger than a 6'x2'x2') :/

fluttermoth said:
You only need to add salt once, unless you change the water, in which case you'd need to replace some.

About 1 tablespoon per gallon is the dosage for this sort of thing.

On a side note; you're keeping koi in a tank? They really ought to be in a pond (unless your tank is huge, and by 'huge' I mean larger than a 6'x2'x2')
confused.gif
They are Shubunkin Koi, which are basically like larger comet goldfish, our largest one is around 4.5-5inches, they can get pretty big, but the ones we have are all under 4 inches :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back