Today is the day!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So excited to be moving from the beginner help section to the discussion section :)

Today, once the snow clears off the roads a little later (it is APRIL) I will be heading into the pet store to get the remaining supplies before moving Hank into his new 10 gallon!

My checklist is a 10g heater, tetra safestart, a water testing kit, a few floating plants, and maybe something special for enrichment as a treat! If you have any suggestions as to what a male betta would love for his tank feel free to say so, as over time I plan on spoiling him.

I want to move him into his new tank as soon as is safely possible as he is a little less perky today. Excited to watch him react to a much bigger home

I heard Betta like moss balls to lay on
He absolutely does! He has three little ones and he enjoys squishing himself between the edge of the glass and the moss balls for nap time. It's cute now but I legit thought he got trapped and died the first time. Definitely panicked a little

I have a couple in all my tanks, the shrimp like setting on top of them and fry like to hide under them.

So excited to be moving from the beginner help section to the discussion section :)

Today, once the snow clears off the roads a little later (it is APRIL) I will be heading into the pet store to get the remaining supplies before moving Hank into his new 10 gallon!

My checklist is a 10g heater, tetra safestart, a water testing kit, a few floating plants, and maybe something special for enrichment as a treat! If you have any suggestions as to what a male betta would love for his tank feel free to say so, as over time I plan on spoiling him.

I want to move him into his new tank as soon as is safely possible as he is a little less perky today. Excited to watch him react to a much bigger home
Snow in April? :lol:

Sounds good to me!

My betta (profile picture) loves Salvinia. This is an awesome floating plant that is much better than duckweed IMO. It grows fast and it looks great.

He also likes to rest near the surface in his lush broad leaved Anacharis. See you if you find them at your LFS. They can grow floating, or in gravel/sand. (I find they grow better in sand, but that’s just IME.)

I would love to see the tank once it’s setup. Ask any questions if you have them. :)

He absolutely does! He has three little ones and he enjoys squishing himself between the edge of the glass and the moss balls for nap time. It's cute now but I legit thought he got trapped and died the first time. Definitely panicked a little
It’s definitely Normal to panic.

Lol, when I had my first betta YEARS ago, I was scared he was suffocating because he kept coming to the surface for air. (Of course, bettas do that to breath, but I was such a newbie, I didn’t know that! :rofl:)

I will keep an eye out for Salvinia! I'm definitely hoping my camera can take pictures in this new tank because I am dying to show my betta off but all I can get are closeups. Nonetheless I will probably be posting pictures of the set up tank for before and after pics! It will be a little sparse initially but he will definitely be receiving some love as my budget replenishes :yahoo:

Sounds good to me! If you have having trouble getting pictures of your betta, try taking them during feeding time. ;)

Mission successful! I brought home a heater, the safestart, and the test strips. Unfortunately those three things cost a lot, so I wasn't able to get him any more decor this time around. Until I can get him the pieces I have my eye on, should his current plants and decorations be bunched close together like in the wild, or should I spread them out evenly over the tank?

Mission successful! I brought home a heater, the safestart, and the test strips. Unfortunately those three things cost a lot, so I wasn't able to get him any more decor this time around. Until I can get him the pieces I have my eye on, should his current plants and decorations be bunched close together like in the wild, or should I spread them out evenly over the tank?
Yes, this stuff can cost a lot to start out, but its well worth it in the end.

I suggest spreading them out. What plants did you end up getting?

(Also, where the test strips the only kind of test kit there? These are inaccurate and not trustworthy.)

Yes, this stuff can cost a lot to start out, but its well worth it in the end.

I suggest spreading them out. What plants did you end up getting?

(Also, where the test strips the only kind of test kit there? These are inaccurate and not trustworthy.)
The test kit was the API 5 in 1 test strips. I was mainly looking for one that tested ammonia, but I'm not sure whether it does or not. Mine tests for pH, KH, GH, and nitrate and nitrite. Unless pH is ammonia, I think I may have grabbed the only kit in the store that wasn't what I wanted :(

No, ph is not Ammonia.

That happens to me sometimes. I’m looking for a specific item and I get something else I won’t satisfied with in the long run.

I suggest getting the API master freshwater test kit. It has over 800 individual tests, which is a lot. It tests for ph, high ph, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. It costs around $30 USD. You can find it on Amazon.com.

No need to beat yourself up over it. :)

(if you can return it, do so)

Do you think it is safe to move my fish into the 10 gallon? He's not looking too hot and while neither tanks are cycled, the 10gallon will be given the necessary bacteria tomorrow. I was asking for emergency advice from someone on tumblr and they asked if Hank has been eating. He has certainly been interested in food, but once he comes up to it he loses interest. I'm not sure if his pellets have been eaten or just hidden by the filter, as that would explain his behavior and the not so good looking water

Move him to the 10g, neither tank is cycled and the 10g will give him more room. Until you can get a test kit do a 25% water change every day

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back