Three Spotted Snake Head?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bluenoseben

Reaction score
465050_10150642774637196_601272195_9360920_167311696_o.jpg
i got this snake head tday and i was told that it was a three spotted snake head cud some one plz help me by identifying it and letting me know a little about it plz thanks

Not sure what snakehead this is. I have 3 rainbow snakeheads also known as channa bleheri. If yours is anything like mine or indeed any other of the snakeheads (apart from the notorious giant snakehead) then it needs to be in a species only tank (no other fish other than snakeheads in the tank). You should also get 5 or 6 of them and let 2 of them pair up then re home the others. The tank should have a sand bottom with lots of hiding places, lots of plant cover and dim lighting. Also a lot of snakeheads are a sub tropical species so should be kept at 19 degrees c. The rainbows grow to around 6-8 inches at a rate of around a 1 inch per 3 months roughly. These as far as I know are the smallest type. The red snakehead (gaint) can get over 2 feet easily and eat anything. I have my 3 on there own in a 250 litre (4foot tank)

And what I meant be the giant snakehead not having to be in a species only tank, what I meant was any of the other snakeheads you could have a pair in a tank (or more til they pair up) yet with the giant snakehead you could only safely have 1 per tank. Even then you would need a huuuge tank. Also the giant snakehead is the only snakehead considered to be an "active" mid water swimmer. All the others will stay at the bottom of the tank hiding until its feedin time or if they come up for air. I hardly ever see mine but they do have impressive colours. If yours actively swims in the open then it could well be a giant snakehead. If it is then you will have problems unless like I said, you have a huuuge tank. These grow... Rapidly. Hopefully someone else can tell you what snakehead it is :)

Not quite dbanner...

There are a few active snakeheads.
The OP's fish is one of those.

Bluenoseben, you have the Channa Pleurophthalma.
Gorgeous fish when kept right.
They are a tropical Channa, and have been known to mix OK with other fish, but nowt recommended. (I never mix my Channa with other fish)

They grow to about 50cm, sometimes less, rarely more.
They are pack hunters and shouldn't be kept alone.
Groups of 6+ are best.

They are intact, one of the most if not THE most active Channa.
As they are open water predators, they need LOTS of space.

Pleuros are gorgeous fish when bigger, yours slightly battered at the moment although channa heal well and quite quickly in my experience

If you do a search for Pleuro you'll find photos of a beautiful pleuro that a member called Nelly kept for some time it was a fish I admired from the photos he posted

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back