The old 1.5 Gal.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I can send you a MTS or a ramshorn when I return from vacation next week. Maybe one of each?
Don't you believe it. If the snail is pregnant when you send it, the tank will be over run in no time.

Just scrap the idea of putting anything in that 1.5. Think logically. If you were a fish would you want to live there?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet or videos on youtube. Look at websites written by experts, which for fish is Seriously Fish.

Please do not put any fish in a 1.5 gallon tank (that's 5.7 litres for those who prefer metric) The minimum tank length needed by neon tetras is 24 inches (60 cm). Guppies need 18 inches (45 cm). I don't know the dimensions of the 1.5 gallon, but fish need horizontal swimming room.
I would not keep shrimps in a tank as small as 1.5 gallons.
Large snails such as mystery snails and the ornamental ramshorns need more than 1.5 gallons. The tiny pest ramshorns would be fine as would physid 'pond' snails, both of which grow no bigger than 1/4 inch (I have those on both my tanks). I wouldn't bother with MTS as they live in the substrate and you won't see them unless something goes wrong with the water when they'll all head up the sides of the tank to escape.

Ok @essjay. If you think about this logically, “Why does a betta need a 10 gallon tank? I know in the wild they live in small pools of water, for their hole life’s. Just because they live in that small of pools, doesn’t mean we should keep them in a bowl, or a 1 gallon tank.

I think, a 10 gallon tank is a waste of space for 1 Betta fish. I think a 2.5 gallon tank, or maybe a 5 gallon tank, would better suffice.

I am definitely thinking no fish. Because, as you said, no fish should live in a 1.5 gallon tank. So why not Shrimp? They are small, don’t need to be in numbers, and are easy to care for. Why couldn’t I make that a Shrimp/Snail only tank? :)

Bettas don't live in small pools of water in the wild, they live in huge areas of shallow slow moving water - places like rice paddies. They can survive a dry season in small pools of water but surviving is not thriving. They cope till it rains again.

I have red cherry shrimp. They used to be in a 54 litre tank (14 gallons) till we altered the kitchen, there was no longer anywhere for it to go, so I had to close that tank. The shrimps and the few fish in with them were moved into my 180 litre tank.
In the 180 litre tank the shrimps swim all over, especially the males when the females released their "come and find me" pheromones. Personally I would never confine my cherry shrimps to a small tank.
Try shrimps if you want, it's just not something I would do.

Thank you for the clarification @essjay! It seems my betta facts where mixed up!

I think I will try shrimp, and maybe some “pest” snails. Someone mentioned that earlier, what are some examples of “pest” snails? :)

So many shops justify keeping bettas in tiny containers by perpetuating the myth that bettas live in puddles in the wild so it's no wonder that so many people believe it's true :)

Look at this thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/freshwater-snail-species-in-the-hobby.424364/

The first pic is a Physid pond snail. The third pic shows a group of ramshorn snails (Planorbids). These are the two common 'pest' snails. I have both of these.
There are larger, more colourful ramshorns but those are actually a type of apple/mystery snail not a Planorbid. The big ramshorns are further down in that link in the apple/mystery snail section.

I like the looks of ramshorn snails better, but I want this to be a "Scape Only" Tank. (That just means the scape is the "Main event". Scape comes first, then fish/snails second.)

Are there any smaller species? :)

The small 'pest' ramshorns in my tank never grow bigger than 1/4 inch.

If you mean the larger, colourful ramshorns (the ones that are really a species of mystery snail) then the Clithon species of nerite I mentioned a few posts ago are smaller though obviously they do look different. The other species of nerite grow bigger. The good part about nerites is they can't breed in fresh water. Like amano shrimps, the larval stage needs salt water. The downside is they can't breed in fresh water so if you have a male and female of the same species in the same tank they'll lay eggs that will never hatch. All over the decor.

Speaking of Amano Shrimp, would they work in my tank? :)

Geeze, a lot going on here. I wasn't Ignoring you, Phoenix. I’m camping and only get reception when I go into town. If you decide on snails I have plenty of babies that won’t be pregnant yet. Please, no shrimp.

As I keep saying, I wouldn't put shrimps in there.

Phoenix, what happened to your 10 gallon tank that you bought? Quit messing with these small jars and tanks and work on your larger ones. These are really useless, IMO. I’ll still send the snails though if you want.

How many snails/shrimp could I put in the 10 gal.?

Right now it has 1 betta fish, 1 Zebra Danio, and 1 Nerite snail. Is that over stocking? :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back