🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF people! :hi:

I had an empty 1.5 gal. Sitting around yesterday p, and I thought, “Well I have a lot of time, and some scaping materials, so why don’t I scape this bad boy? Well I did, and it looks really nice. :)

I was wondering, “Can you truly put an fish in a 1.5 gal. Tank?”

I was thinking maybe WCMM’s? (White cloud mountain minnows) they are super small.

Maybe a snail only tank? (If so, please include a list of “nano” snails.)

Or.....a Shrimp only tank? (Same as above, thanks!)

I am not going to include a picture of the tank, just because I am going to enter it in the next TOTM contest! :)

Thank you for your time. :) :thanks:

I would not keep any fish in a tank that small. Your example, white clouds, are not all that small. I wouldn't even keep a betta in 1.5 gallons, nor a group of Boraras or scarlet badis, a fish often quoted as being suitable for small tanks. But not that small..

Snails are a possibility but only small snails. For example, mystery snails/apple snails need 2.5 gallons per snail. Perhaps one of the smaller nerite snails would be do-able? However, bear in mind that nerites need algae, and being vegetarian they do create a lot of waste for the size of them.

Watching my cherry shrimps in my 180 litre tank (48 gallon) I would not like to restrict them to such a small tank. And these are one of the smallest shrimp species.

So no shrimp what so ever? Maybe some ghost shrimp? I pretty much knew no fish. I was thinking maybe a Malaysian Trumept snail? Or some cherry shrimp?

So I have definitely decided. No fish. So it’s either snails, or shrimp. :)

If you read the sticky on shrimps in that forum ( https://www.fishforums.net/threads/shrimp-care-guide.261585/ ) you'll see it recommends 5 gallons as the minimum size for the smallest shrimps. And ghost shrimps are bigger than cherry shrimps, aren't they?

There are some attractive nerites. They are visible 24 hours a day, unlike MTS which hide in the substrate during daylight. Google Clithon snails, you see'll several species and a lot are brightly coloured eg Clithon sowerbyana, Clithon corona. (Have I ever mentioned I'm a big fan of nerites :) )

Why not do malaysian trumpet snails or ramshorns?
That is exactly what I was recommending in post #3! What do they eat? I have seen many successful YouTubers keep Shrimp in a 1.5 gal. Tank! So it is possible. :)

While I don't recommend it my first aquarium back in the Stone Age was a gallon jar. I kept about six guppies in it for about six months. They produced young too. No heater, no filter, no nothing. I kept it clean with a dip tube and partial water changes. Nano aquariums are all the rage these days or so it would seem. I think the majority opinion on this forum is big tanks and I agree. More water is always best. Put a Betta in your little tank and be happy. Maybe a female for when the urge strikes to induce spawning.

So you think 3-4 guppies would work? Or 4 neon tetras? :)

Edit: My tank does have a 1-3 gallon Tetra Wisper Filter. :)

So just the guppies? I want to get blue ones. Maybe Blue Cobra Guppies?

And also, could I get like 2-3 guppies and a shrimp or 2? I’m either stuck on Cherry Shrimp, or ghost shrimp. :)

Neither Neon Tetras nor Guppies will do. You’ll kill them in no time. They both need lots of space to swim. Neons need at least 6 to school together. I can send you a MTS or a ramshorn when I return from vacation next week. Maybe one of each? That way they won’t breed and get out of control on you.

You could send them to me? That would be great! :)

So I couldn’t have 2 guppies?

Seriously, what about shrimp? Either 2 Ghost Shrimp, or 2 Cherry Shrimp. :)

Most reactions

Back