Testing betta tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have heard about testing a Bettas temperament to see if they are suitable community fish and I was surprised by the outcome. I had 2 low ranking male guppies(short tailed) in my tank eating the last few detritus worms and added my new betta out of curiosity really to see if he is one of the rare placid ones. He flared for less than 5 seconds and then completely ignored them. The guppies than starting biting his fins and chasing him so I removed them immediately. I was under the impression that betta are the more aggressive fish.

Some bettas can be very laid back, and they are the ones that get bullied rather than the other way round.

But as he's new to the tank, he hasn't yet established his territory. If you'd had him for several days, then added the guppies the outcome could have been very different.

Some bettas can be very laid back, and they are the ones that get bullied rather than the other way round.

But as he's new to the tank, he hasn't yet established his territory. If you'd had him for several days, then added the guppies the outcome could have been very different.
I totally agree. The other fish have to be in place first. Even the calmest betta after its territory is established is ruthless

to be honest, it is cruel to put a male Betta in with any other fish, no matter who is there first. As you and others here have noted, the Betta can be the aggressor, or the victim. And as essjay said, a Betta that may initially seem to tolerate other fish can turn literally overnight into a real terror. Accept the norm for the species and give him a nice home to himself.

to be honest, it is cruel to put a male Betta in with any other fish, no matter who is there first. As you and others here have noted, the Betta can be the aggressor, or the victim. And as essjay said, a Betta that may initially seem to tolerate other fish can turn literally overnight into a real terror. Accept the norm for the species and give him a nice home to himself.

I have done, he has a few ramshorn snails with him but he will have no fish companions, which was my first plan

3 weeks ago I put my betta in swordtail and molly tank. And the outcome? No tail and fin left on my betta :-(

3 weeks ago I put my betta in swordtail and molly tank. And the outcome? No tail and fin left on my betta :-(

With their fierce reputation you expect them to hold their own. I’m quite sure I would have come back to the same situation if I hadn’t stopped to watch how they interact. I should have guessed though as I’ve seen my male guppies gang up before, usually on the weakest/smallest.

With their fierce reputation you expect them to hold their own. I’m quite sure I would have come back to the same situation if I hadn’t stopped to watch how they interact. I should have guessed though as I’ve seen my male guppies gang up before, usually on the weakest/smallest.
Swordtail are quite large in comparison though so the betta would be intimidated. The only successful times ive had a betta with other fish was a calm betta with small non colorful short tailed fish. Any time a fish was close to the size of the betta or larger the betta would get defensive at first and then get picked on :(

As @Byron already said, these are not community fish - period.
Mollies and sword tails require hard water. Bettas are soft water fish. Even if you ignore the above they would not all survive in the same water for long.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back