:( Terminated...

Unless PRW knows who actually did do it, fighting it going to be awfully hard. How do you prove a negative? Unless he's documented himself doing every single thing every single day, how could he prove that he never went to those stores?

Here's what I would do. Someone used your employee number somewhere else -- that's identity theft. You need to go to the police and fill out a report claiming identity theft. Chances are very low that the police will catch them, but it gives your story the credence you will need when you apply for another job.

As the others have said, they are going to ask you why you aren't working at your old job, and there is a decent chance that they are going to call and talk with your old manager. You will need to be able to to give them a police report number having your side of the story documented. Talking with a district or regional manager (you boss's boss, or even someone higher) isn't a terrible idea either. Again, you really need to have your side of the story on file somewhere.

Like I said, proving a negative is awfully hard to do. Unless you or someone else catches the other person in the act, this probably won't be resolved. I mean, how do I prove I didn't take a stroll through the mall yesterday? How do I prove that I didn't eat a coconut yesterday? It's pretty much the same thing. They have evidence that your number was used, so you are going to look awfully suspicious. Hopefully they can catch the person who it doing this in the act. I do also like looking back through the records to see if that someone did it at another store while you were on the clock at your store. Maybe there are some things you can prove you were at while the transactions occurred -- a club meeting or sports game/practice? Something where impartial others can vouch for you. It may be important should Petsmart press charges against you.

Whether they do or not, the employee-employer relationship has definitely soured, so the goal shouldn't be to get your job back -- at least not in that same store. The goal here is to get your side of the story out there and try to show that someone else stole your identity and did this to you. If you ever do figure out who did this, you can sue them to get back your lost wages and anything you may end up having to pay back to Petsmart.
 
Most of the larger corporations have a hotline you can call if you feel you can't go to your manager about something. I would contact them and tell them what happened, they should investigate it. I agree with the others, you should at least try and dispute this, because unfortunatly it WILL follow you through your working life.
 
Absolutely. Do NOT take this lying down.

If they have record of your number being used at these places they have a record of the time and date it was used. Insist on being given this information. You might very well be able to prove that you were elsewhere at even one of these occasions - e.g. you may have been at work at your store while your number was being used at another. You are being accused of this crime - you are entitled to this information. Also, someone mentioned linking security footage with those times. Even if you can provide an alibi on just one of these times - it casts doubt on the whole accusation.

As someone said, go above your manager if they won't assist you. A big corporation should have one of those numbers to call, even if it's a workplace harasssment line or something, they will put you in touch with the right people.

Your manager sounds like an asshole and is just trying to intimidate you into doing nothing to make his job easier - he has to account for these losses and he's making you their scapegoat. Don't let him. As others have said, a theft record will follow you around for life. I work at a major supermarket chain and I've seen it happen to people who got caught stealing (legitimately - they WERE stealing) and I've seen how difficult is is for them to get other jobs in retail. Also, it becomes a reflection of your character and when going for other jobs this will be taken into consideration.

I'm amazed that they can do this to you without concrete proof. A person under suspicion at my corporation (i.e. no direct proof, but evidence linking a person to a theft or loss) is investigated for a length of time, watched closely, etc, until they are caught out. You have to have direct proof (e.g. person was caught redhanded, e.g. with unpaid stock on their person or consuming it in store, or pocketing money on security footage, etc) for them to have grounds to terminate you.

But, I don't know how different Canada is to Australia, but what they are doing to you cannot possibly be fair or legal. Take everything we have said into consideration - you have a lot of options yet, don't give up and have this ruin any future chances. Good luck.
 
is your number associate number put on the till slips that you give out at the time of purchase cos it sounds funny if they are returning thing without till slips i would call in the police strait away it sounds like id cloning or you store manager just as it in for you ask for proof i don't know if you can sue for unfair dismissal or go and get some legal advice if you don't it wont look good on your record





good luck biff



as the say in latin {nil illegitimus carborundum} means dont let the b*******s grind you down
 
Dont just accept it. If you dont fight it, its like saying you did it. Try to fight it


I tried to fight it, but since my associate number was used at like 4 different stores including mine, it looks really bad even though I've been to only one of the other stores and only once. Like my brother said though, I guess it's time for a change, w/e if I start working with my girlfriends mom I can be an assistant manager and get $9.50/hr. Better than what I made at Petsmart which was $9.26.

forgive me, i did not intend you to think i was telling you to try and get your job back, from the sound of it you are well out of it.

if your number has been used in a shop you have not visited, ask you employer to show you the clocking on receipt or the signing in book from those stores. proving you were allowed behind the counter, during any period that these RTS transactions took place. unless they can do this, you do not have to prove where you were, it is up to them to prove you were there.
remember, there is still a thief in these Petsmart stores, the longer you keep up your objection to this. the more likely it is they will slip up or get caught.

in the end do as you wish, but before you take any course, think of all they jobs you may want in the future that could need someone to check your record. then remember, you are unlikely to get them any more, if you don't fight.
 
If I had done nothing wrong no way would I stand being called a thief.
I would try and clear my name no matter what it takes.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top