:( Terminated...

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
Well, I've been terminated from petsmart today, apparently somebody has been returning items and using my associate number so I now have to pay back $145 of stole items, that I never took :( my manager says I'm a liar and said that I'm fired from our store for stealing...

Lucky me... just when I was really starting to enjoy my job at Petsmart this happens, god why do people need to steal anyways... well, off to look at job ads, wish me the best of luck.
 
If you could somehow provide evidence of you not taking the items, you can sue for improper termination. There has got to be something that you can do to get your job back. Don't they check for id or something when when they enter your associate number? If your manager says you're lying, can't you take it to someone higher up? Really feeling sorry for you mate. Good luck getting a job whether it be your old one or a new one!

Ryan
 
These things are often in their computer, which means there is a date & time. If it happened when you are not on shift you really can't be blamed. I would look into the system of checks & balances they have to keep things like this secure, if there is a hole in the system they are to blame. Most likely there is, if they aren't bright enough to have a generator backup in Canada.
 
These things are often in their computer, which means there is a date & time. If it happened when you are not on shift you really can't be blamed. I would look into the system of checks & balances they have to keep things like this secure, if there is a hole in the system they are to blame. Most likely there is, if they aren't bright enough to have a generator backup in Canada.
yeah the lfs i used to work at had everything backed. they new when exactly items were bought and brought back.
 
Right, the returns should be dated and surely there is security video??? Why not match the two and see who was working on the cash registers. Should be pretty easy.
 
do you have something like citizens advice?<we have in england...or failing that go a speak with a solicitor and see what they say :good:
say to the manager that you would like to sit down and DISCUSS Like ADULTS The situation.....my friend had a similar situation at b and q which is a large hardware store, he faught it all the way and they proved it was two other employers using his number to steal, they got sacked and he got reinstated then he told them where to go.....SATISFACTION
 
unless you are real desperate and can't find a job, i wouldn't go back to working at petsmart, even if they found out they wronged you and let you go back.

however, you should try to get proof that you didn't do it just to show everyone what an #### the manager is. good luck
 
That really sucks. Like everyone else has said I would fight it all the way, there has to be something there that can prove that you didn't do it.
 
If you don't dispute it, every job you go for will ask you 'why did you leave your last job' and if it's between you who got sacked for fraud/gross misconduct and someone who didn't...well...
 
Well, I've been terminated from petsmart today, apparently somebody has been returning items and using my associate number so I now have to pay back $145 of stole items, that I never took :( my manager says I'm a liar and said that I'm fired from our store for stealing...

Lucky me... just when I was really starting to enjoy my job at Petsmart this happens, god why do people need to steal anyways... well, off to look at job ads, wish me the best of luck.

well being from the UK, i cant hep much on the law side., however there are some things you could do that may help. you will need good support, from family and/or partner though:

was your staff number known only to you and the manager? if not, list all those who had access to it.

how was the ID/number entered? if by hand, see above. if by magnetic card. it more difficult, but if you sent me it, i bet i could make you as many copies as you need in 1/2 an hour. this means even that is not a forgone conclusion, it was you that used it.

as for paying off the sum lost, tell them to go to the police. unless they can PROVE it was you who did it, they will not have a leg to stand on. many company's try to do this. relying on the fact that many will not challenge them. it does not matter what they tell you, THEY need to prove it was you, not the other way around.

unless you challenge this, the fact that you were sacked for theft, will follow you for many years.
It is my experience that this sort of thing is, often done by the immediate superior of the accused. though someone you have fallen out with, would be up in the favourites too.

remember, it is just as illegal to incorrectly accuse a person of theft, as it is to steal. your boss may not agree, but he would be morally and legally wrong. FIGHT IT AND HARD!
 
Dont just accept it. If you dont fight it, its like saying you did it. Try to fight it


I tried to fight it, but since my associate number was used at like 4 different stores including mine, it looks really bad even though I've been to only one of the other stores and only once. Like my brother said though, I guess it's time for a change, w/e if I start working with my girlfriends mom I can be an assistant manager and get $9.50/hr. Better than what I made at Petsmart which was $9.26.
 
Still, you will be scarred for life. If you apply for another job, they are probably going to ask why you left petsmart. They probably won't want to hire you if you tell them you were fired for stealing.

Ryan
 
I agree, it may seem easier to walk away from it now but this is the sort of thing that can follow you around like a bad smell. Also the job world = smaller than you think. Someone who worked with you there might have the option of giving you / not giving you a job ten years down the line - if they remember that you never even challenged it they'll assume you're guilty.

If you've never even been to two or three of the stores where your number was used, that seems like an excellent point to start your defence. Even if they don't have cameras on every till, they'll definitely have them above the door as shops need to have proof of someone attempting to leave the store with a stolen item in order to bring prosecution for shoplifting.

Tell them if they can produce cctv film from store x or y with your face on it then you will go quietly, but if not that you'll involve area managers, local press, small claims court etc.

Once they admit they can't prove anything, accept their WRITTEN apology gracefully (this will be useful if any rumours start up at the new place), explain politely that you will not be returning there to work, and get on with enjoying your new job.

Good luck! :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top