Tank Lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Light impacts fish a great deal. Every cell is light sensitive--humans are the same actually, but it is much more heightened in fish. At the same time, they cannot adjust rapidly to higher or lower light, it takes up to 30 minutes.

There are some ways to prevent stress from the tank light coming on and going off. First, have the light on a regular schedule every 24-hour period, so the tank light is on and off at the same times each day. A timer is easy to achieve this, and it also means that you do not need to be in the room when thhe tank light comes on and goes off, and that impacts the fish too--when they are startled by the tank light coming on or going off, and see you moving about like a predator to them, they will be stressed. Second, make sure the room is lit with ambient lighting when the tank light comes on and when it goes off. I use daylight coming through the windows with venetian blinds. The room is light when the tank lights come on in the mid or late morning, and there is still daylight in the room at the end of the tank lighting period in the mid or late afternoon.

Floating plants also help with light--no fish really likes overhead light especially if it is relatively bright. Goldfish eat plants of course, so they will likely make a meal of floating plants, but it sometimes helps.

Light impacts fish a great deal. Every cell is light sensitive--humans are the same actually, but it is much more heightened in fish. At the same time, they cannot adjust rapidly to higher or lower light, it takes up to 30 minutes.

There are some ways to prevent stress from the tank light coming on and going off. First, have the light on a regular schedule every 24-hour period, so the tank light is on and off at the same times each day. A timer is easy to achieve this, and it also means that you do not need to be in the room when thhe tank light comes on and goes off, and that impacts the fish too--when they are startled by the tank light coming on or going off, and see you moving about like a predator to them, they will be stressed. Second, make sure the room is lit with ambient lighting when the tank light comes on and when it goes off. I use daylight coming through the windows with venetian blinds. The room is light when the tank lights come on in the mid or late morning, and there is still daylight in the room at the end of the tank lighting period in the mid or late afternoon.

Floating plants also help with light--no fish really likes overhead light especially if it is relatively bright. Goldfish eat plants of course, so they will likely make a meal of floating plants, but it sometimes helps.
He's got a 10 gallon tank and 5/6 goldfish... I checked out his youtube channel (out of my curiosity lol).

Single tailed (common) or double tailed (fancy) goldfish?

Fancies (double tails) need 20 gallons for one fish and 10 more gallons for each further fish. So 5 fancy goldfish need 60 gallons minimum, and 6 need at least 70 gallons.
Common (single tailed) goldfish need a pond.

He's got a 10 gallon tank and 5/6 goldfish... I checked out his youtube channel (out of my curiosity lol).

Well, that is obviously another problem then. What I wrote about light is obviously still relevant, but now we have fish that are "under the weather" from the fish/water ratio, so it compounds.

I hope I don't get off topic. For the lighting question I think @Byron explained it really well(more knowledge and clarity than I could ever manage!).
However, another issue and others spot is that unfortunately, your tank is overstocked. You have both single tailed and fancy goldfish together, and while I generally tend to suggest smaller tank sizes for goldies, a 10 gallon with 5 goldfish isn't really enough space.
I would suggest upping the fancies to a 29-40 gallon tank with good floorspace(you don't want a really deep tank) and giving the single tailed goldfish a bigger tank. I would say at least 55-75, but most people will tell you you need an outdoor pond for a few reasons.

Well, that is obviously another problem then. What I wrote about light is obviously still relevant, but now we have fish that are "under the weather" from the fish/water ratio, so it compounds.
I know, but I was just pointing out ;)
I've gotta admit that you got huge knowledge too, just like others.

I agree with posts above.

I know, but I was just pointing out ;)
I've gotta admit that you got huge knowledge too, just like others.

I agree with posts above.

I didn't mean to be negative, if that came across...I was noting that the light issue is one problem, but now it is compounded by the space/fish problem. And it is good to always point out things, though not all members seem willing to accept this. But we do it nonetheless, as it would not be providing good advice if we ignore a problem, and not helping only weakens the benefit of the forum.

I didn't mean to be negative, if that came across...I was noting that the light issue is one problem, but now it is compounded by the space/fish problem. And it is good to always point out things, though not all members seem willing to accept this. But we do it nonetheless, as it would not be providing good advice if we ignore a problem, and not helping only weakens the benefit of the forum.
You haven't been negative, don't worry about that ;)
I haven't tried to be mean or anything when pointing out the main huge problem with size of the tank (the fact that it is too small) and the fact that goldfish get huge, unlike bettas or guppies, and the fact they need bigger tanks than a 5 or 10 gallon.
And I wasn't saying there, that we ignore the stocking problems and size of fish and the tank.

Sorry but I have to agree with @Byron and others on these issues, this is one of the reasons for the forum is here to help correct and educate fish owners about their fish and their needs.

@Aqua Listic Can I suggest that you read this, please. We only want what's best for the fish.

@Aqua Listic , the enclosure you keep your fish in is up to you. However I highly suggest upgrading their tank size for the health of your fish.

I find usually goldfish grow around 6-8 inches, sometimes 4-5. However, goldies can grow up to 14 inches, even though its not super likely it is possible. Having a bigger tank gives more space for them to swim and provides better water quality :)

I had 3 Koi that started out small and like goldfish can grow large and over the years I had to keep moving them to bigger tanks until I had them in my biggest 55 gallon tank. I ended up giving them to a friend who has a pond where he had koi and large goldfish together.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back