Tang - Shell Dwellers Tank

Nick Sw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I`m thinking of another tank ! -
I saw some shell dwellers the other day they looked really interesting how they behaved in and around the shells. The two species I saw were: -
Neolamprologus Ocellatus Gold
Lamprologus Multifasciatus
These are maybe what I would like to keep.
I was intially thinking of something like a Juwel Rekord 60 (60cm long) now I`m thinking maybe a 3ft tank, has anyone any advice regarding setting up the tank , size of tank and levels of stocking ?

:lol: I knew it wouldn't take long for the mts to set in. Go for a big one you know you want too ;)

Welcome to the mts club! :lol:

More than 1 and it's taking hold, more than 2.... well lets just say its all downhill from there. :lol:

Im at 3 :blush: , and its severely downhill :hyper:

I personally keep shellies in my 10gall, but i reckon that a big tank for shelldweller species would be awesome and allow you really to see the interactions. Of those two species: Neolamprologus Multifaciatus, is the smallest of all shell dwellers, maxing out in captivity at around 1-1.5 inches: there is little problem with keeping multiple males with this species. Best theory is to go with a huge number of shells scattered over a large area of coral sand or the like. The shell size doesnt need to be too large, probably a large apple snail size is perfect, though I myself use marine shells ive collected. With a 3 footer you could prolly have up to 12 fish as an intial stocking, that will breed regularly and populate your tank. In general these fish function happily as a shelldwelling community.

Occies are a different kettle of fish: a harem breeder, with males that have territory needs around 10cm or so from their shells. They can be quite agressive, and thus should be kept in lower populations. Having said that their behaviour is very interesting, and they require a lower shell density than the multies. Sizes 2-2.5 inches.

In both cases you could look into other Tanganikans particularly the non true shell dwellers with that sort of size tank. Either way you will have a very interesting and startlingly unique tank.

Back to stocking, basically its an agression factor: if you end up with an excess of males you may have to remove, particularly in the occy case. If you add some dither fish, or further tanganikans, you will notice the greatest behaviour from the species, with flaring etc, which makes for a more interesting tank. With occies stocking is basically down to fish not getting chased to the corner of the tank.

Hope this helps.

Neolamprologus multifasciatus are fantastic fish... I used to have a pair in a Tanganyikan community tank and they held their own even against the dominant N. tretocephalus in there... in fact, despite being by far the smallest fish in the tank, they were the only fish that dared stand up to him! :)

I'd love to keep them again and am considering a small shell-dweller tank myself. The multis rarely strayed more than a few inches from their chosen shells, so the size of the tank is almost immaterial for a pair or small grouping. In either the 60cm or 3ft tank you could comfortably keep a sizeable community which would be a fascinating experience, however you might want to add another Tang species or two for variety and mid-water activity... although steer clear of any predatory piscavore species, for example adult A. compressiceps which, despite being my favourite Tanganyikan species, are prone to seeing multis as snack material...

Thanks for the replys thats definitely given me something to think about.

Have you got any suggestions for other fish to keep with shell dwellers ? and could I keep the "Occies" and "Multis" together ?

Have you got any suggestions for other fish to keep with shell dwellers ? and could I keep the "Occies" and "Multis" together ?

OMG!!!! There's no help for him now....he's gone into.....Tangspeak. :lol:

OMG!!!! There's no help for him now....he's gone into.....Tangspeak. :lol:

:lol: :good:

Most of the smaller Tangs are suitable. Any Julidochromis, L. brichardi, L. leleupi etc... the only proviso being that a lot of these fish will eat the fry of other species, so if you planning on breeding then you're better off keeping to a single species. It is still possible in a community, but easier if you keep them apart.

I've never tried to keep Ocellatus and multis together. I should think it's certainly possible... personally I'd prefer to keep just one species, as they both have the same territorial requirements (i.e. shells!). Having said that, if you make enough shells available in a couple of different "territories" in the tank then I can't see any reason why not. Neither species are liable to being particularly aggressive, it's just a matter of making sure they both have their own territories/shells so that they are content and secure.

I asked the same question at a shelldweller specific forum and was told that keeping these 2 species in the same tank (even a large tank like you're considering) is a definite NO. The Occies are very aggressive and in most cases would eventually kill the Multi's. I was told one or the other but that I could get some mid level or top level fish to go in the tank also, the most popular being Rainbows (I believe he specifically said dwarf neon rainbows), but there are some other possibilities if you do some searching. The Occies don't require as many shells as the Multi's, who require the bottom of the tank to basically be completely covered in shells. The Multi's are also easier to breed, not that Occies are difficult. With Multi's you could eventually have a nice tank full of various ages of fish but the Occies I believe you need to keep an eye on your numbers, particularly the males, so they will require thinning out the harem every now and then.

I haven't decided what I'm going with yet for my 40 gallon tank I'll be making a shelldweller (once I find a new home for the young Golden Severums I have in the tank currently). I'm thinking the Occies as I got some very nice Aragonite sand for the tank and I'd like to actually be able to see it (where with the Multi's, the shells will cover it), but the Occies do tend to cost quite a bit more if you want the true Gold variety.

I've had Multi's in a 10 gallon, unfortunately I ended up with all males, so I never got a harem started, so I may just start over in the 10 gallon with the Multi's and make the 40 gallon the Occie tank. Decisions, decisions, Lol.

Good luck :)

I went the shell dweller way about a month ago, after been unable to find any "multis" in my locals i wen the way of the "bevis"(sp) and they are great fun, went for 1 male and 3 females(but ended up with 3 males and 1 female i think(all in a 10 G) and they are great, park off and watch them for hours!

Thanks again for the replys, I`m stilll looking into it all but given the choice I think I`d prefer to go with the Occies and maybe a smaller Julidochromis species and something else ?
I`m definitely getting more and more interested the more I find out.

I have a male and two female neolamprologus multifaciatus in my community 180l tank. I was told they would be ok in with the usual community occupants and so they are. I feel they benefit from the stimulation of defending their corner of shells and although there have been some quite sparky exchanges no one has been hurt or put off another visit to the forbidden patch. They have already had fry. The only drawback is that the tank is heavily planted and I would like to have some form of co2 but cannot as it would affect the ph making life difficult for the shellies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back