Tang - Shell Dwellers Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nick Sw what kind of cichlid is that in your avatar?

It`s my Cynotilipia Afra "Cobue" an African Cichlid from the Mbuna Group
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1371

Cobue1sm.jpg

Hey Nick

Looks like you have indeed caught the dreaded mts bug. I have recently stumbled onto four sheets of 6.5ft x 2.6ft x 7mm glass and I am now starting to plan what is going to go into the tanks. I should be able to get at least one decent sized tank out of it, and like yourself I would like to go the Tanganyika route.

I have never kept any tangs! so I dont know what would go with Shellie's. I know I am jumping on your band wagon here nick (sorry) but I am interested to know if people have any experience with Tropheus species and can they be kept with shellies or do they need a species specific tank because of their high level of aggression. I have also read that Tropheus are very difficult to keep as they require their water stats to be keep perfect at all times.

Examples of Tropheus species that I would one day like to have!

Tropheus sp. "Black" (Kifumbe)

Tropheus sp. "Black" (Siyeswe)

Tropheus sp. "Red" (Chiwina)

Wanting these fish is one thing! getting them is another story. I have never seen any Tropheus sp. for sale in Ireland.

That mts sounds like its taking hold i have three and planning my forth, Had a look at a house the weekend im actually looking at where i can put the tanks rather than the tv or fridge.

No problem at all Tanks, from what I`ve read I think Tropheus are best kept in a single species tank , I might be totally wrong equally as well !
I`ve seen some cool looking Tropheus but I was really impressed with the shellies when I saw them I just need to find out what will go in with them, I like the Petricola so maybe a few of those plus some others.

I think you hit the nail on the head nick I remember looking into tropheus when ASD was setting up a new tank for a species specific tropheus tank. (He then turned it into a marine, it was a bit of a let down as I would have really have liked to the the finished result). Anyways he stated that tropheus nearly always did best is a species specific tank. This is the link to the post.

Tropheus project that never was!!!

What a shame!!!!

Have you decided yet on what size of tank you are going to get? have you any ideas of which type of Petrochromis that you would like to have? Keep up the good work and keep us informed.

tanks

Yeah I remember that thread/tank well, it would of been interesting as a Tropheus tank.
I`m after a cheap"ish" 80cm/3ft Tank and more importantly I`ve also been given the green light by the GF !

I think I meant Petricola the Synodontis Catfish ! glad you don`t work in my LFS Tanks ! :D :D

Heres your 10" Bright Red Catfish Sir.
petrochromis_red_29.jpeg

Sorry :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep! my face is about as red as that fish is!!! I must remember to read things first!!! Just you wait nick!!! I'm going to pull you up on something yet!!!

Also I'm glad to hear that you got the girlfriends approval, its very hard to explain to them after a fish tank has arrived in the living room without their prior knowledge,, SUPRISE!!!!!! LOOK WHAT I GOT YOU!!!

Beutiful and I apologize for the highjack! :D

Trying to stock my Tang tank is driving me round the bend ! its a Juwel RIO 180 (47 Gal /100cm)
I already have a pair of Multis which have bred.
Pair of petricola (will add to)
A definitely want Some Small Julies, read these will end up as a pair ?

So to add to the Multi`s, Julies, Syno Petricola, I need help.

I like Neo. Brichardi and Neo. Leleupi- Read they are too aggresive eat/kill shellie fry and or Female shellies.
I`ve seen some Cyprichromis Leptosoma which don`t excite me that much but will do for open water.

I`m getting a bit disheartned and thinking of a 2nd Mbuna tank sticking to the smaller fish if I can`t sort it.

any help/comments appreciated.

Nick

Hey Nick!

As you may have noticed I am looking for tank companions for my dwarf petrocolas. so your thread interests me.

Seems like one of those 36" 20 usgs would make a nice shellie tank.

So a Tang/Neo/Shellie all the same? Or Tang is just short for Tanganyika and may or may not include Neo's.

I like the idea of the ocellatus. But as you say mid and upper level swimmers seem to be in short supply.Well, keep up the research. :)

I like Neo. Brichardi and Neo. Leleupi- Read they are too aggresive eat/kill shellie fry and or Female shellies.
I`ve seen some Cyprichromis Leptosoma which don`t excite me that much but will do for open water.

At 100cm length, the tank's too small for Cyprichromis... maybe look at one of the Paracyprichromis species (nigripinnis or brieni) instead. They're smaller and not quite as open-water-swimming as the cyps (they tend to hang around closer to the rocks) but I think they'd be a good addition to your tank. I have a small group in my tank, which is the same dimensions as yours and also has a smattering of shellies (although down to 1 ocellatus at the moment after a recent bereavement :().

If you're hoping to hang onto your shellie fry then I wouldn't add brichardi or leleupi for the reasons you mentioned. I've kept single specimens of both with multis before without problem, but I wasn't breeding them. There are other lamps you could consider... I think Neolamprologus caudopunctatus would make a good addition to your setup for example but I'm not sure whether they'd go after the fry or not as lamprologines, like most Tanganyikans, are carnivorous after all.

Right I`ve had a re-think and I`m going to house the shellies in there own domain something like a 24" tank.

So could I could fit Julies, Leleupi and Brichardi in with some open water fish ?
Are there any other options ? I`m open to suggestions on stocking .

Yes :S
Dare I tell you I subscribed to PFK with the offer of another free tank, Heeellllllpppppppppp :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back