Super simple 5 minute sponge filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
okay, I dont have an aquarium yet so i dont know all the mumbo jumbo technical talk, so i naturally have some questions:

In your 4th picture (where the tubing is coming out of the filter), is that tubing that will eventually hold the airline?

In your 5th and 6th picture you say to drill a hole in the tubing, In the pic it looks like the hole is on the very edge of the tubing, can i just put the airline through the the top of the tubing, instead of making a hole?

How long should all the different tubings be?

Would there be too much of a current for bettas to deal with?

What goes on the inside of the tank, and what goes on the outside?

The tubing with the airline in it connects to the airpump, right? Then do you put the end with the airstone in the filter?

What could you use to drill the hole in the tubing? A knife?

In your last picture that huge tubing isnt sticking out, I'm confused!

How does this filter intake water?

Thanks! I think I understand it but I want to make sure.

This is going to be for a 5 gallon divided tank for 2 betta

Edit- So you just put the tube into the can, fill it 3/4 gravel and 1/4 sponge, then stick the airline through the tube? and connect the airline to the airpump?

How big does the food canister thingee have to be?

and i'm kinda confused on how water gets to the bottom of the filter.

Kool filter though,

i tried to make one and i think it working....? the one i made air bubbles goes out the intake pipe. it that suppose to happen or through the filter medium.??

could i use multiple of these for a 10 gallon? also how mcuh does an air pump cost?

I hate to burst the bubble here, but Lees has been making corner/box filters for decades. Their smallest costs $2.19 or so and ones good for a 100 gal tank run about $6.50. You can use any media you want in them.
10813415.jpg

can you post pictures of every wngle of the finished product, im a bit sceptic

ahh below the water line then :) ill set to work on it now

Yeah you want it below the water line so that gravity doesnt reduce the flow out of the top of the "outpipe". It still works when the top is out of the water, water is forced out of the tube but in the form of bubbles. Therefore keep it below the water line and the flow will be greater.

just one question i have:
are there any holes in the bottom of the fish food pot or do you just leave the bottom...well, holeless? :look:

just one question i have:
are there any holes in the bottom of the fish food pot or do you just leave the bottom...well, holeless? :look:

There are no holes in the bottom of the pot, you want the air bubbles travelling up the plastic tube to cause a suction that will pull the water down through the gravel and filter material. If you put holes in the bottom of the pot tub it would prevent this from happening.

Sorry sammydee, I dont mean to be hijacking your post.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back