Super simple 5 minute sponge filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

wait so is there a hole in the bottom of the container?

or is it just that the top is open ??????? :dunno:

sammydee said:
I had five minutes to spare and was bored. So I made a sponge filter. Here it is:

If your tube is wide enough, add an airstone.

Airstone.jpg

:/ Sounds Great, and I want too give it a Try.
I Love Do it Your own Self Projects, Although it makes my Wife Cringe :rofl:
But thats besides the point.. One Question though???
In the Picture what is the notch in the Top of the Uplift Tube FOR??? -_-

I like Everybody else has Plenty of Empty Fish Food Containers, as One other said, Now I've got something New to do with them.
THANKS for the New Idea. :kana:

daddyfish said:
sammydee said:
I had five minutes to spare and was bored. So I made a sponge filter. Here it is:
If your tube is wide enough, add an airstone.
--image--
One Question though???
In the Picture what is the notch in the Top of the Uplift Tube FOR??? -_-
[snapback]885110[/snapback]​

My husband's figure 8 puff needed a sponge filter in his tank, so I combined the design shown here with this one:
http://petfish.net/sponge_filter.htm

I had the "plastic filter core" internal pieces from an old Fluval 1 in-tank filter ( see part labeled 15515010 at http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=15510343 ) , so I used those inside the sponge pieces to hold carbon.

I took my chunk of uplift tube and drilled a bunch of holes in it, and the "plastic filter core" sits inside of that.

I set it up in the tank and the tubing came out after a few minutes. I think I can guess what the notch is for: to keep the air line tubing from getting out of the uplift tube if you don't have an airstone.

ok i'm not the brightest of people here so

1) all i have to do is get a thick pipe and stick it into a food box , fill 3/4 with garavel and 1/4 with filter material . After this stick an airpump through(excuse my spelling) the thick pipe ?

Questions:
1)Is coton woll good as a filter?
2)Where should the end of the thick pipe be , in or outside the water
3)Should there be water inside the thick pipe?

P-Shark said:
ok i'm not the brightest of people here so

1) all i have to do is get a thick pipe and stick it into a food box , fill 3/4 with garavel and 1/4 with filter material . After this stick an airpump through(excuse my spelling) the thick pipe ?

Questions:
1)Is coton woll good as a filter?
2)Where should the end of the thick pipe be , in or outside the water
3)Should there be water inside the thick pipe?
[snapback]914510[/snapback]​

For lack of a better term "YES". :thumbs:

But when I made mine I used a little (Aquarium Safe) Epoxy, should be at your LPS to hold the Uplift Tube in place so it doesn't come out when you move it.

Other then that it's that "SIMPLE" :D

Haven't been on this forum for AGES, sorry guys.

No this is not a very powerful filter at all - it won't do a ten gallon. It was designed for around 3 gallon fry/siamese fighting fish type tanks.

Ok?

SAM

Hi im new to sponge filters and um i have a few questions.

1. You said put the gravel OUTSIDE of the hose, if the air pump is going down the hose what is the gravel there for? or did you mean Inside?

2. I dont get it when you mean put the air pump inside the hose then put it in the container. Main question is how does that relate to mechanical filtering

3. Where is the intake? All I see is the outtake where the air pump blows out the bubbles of the tubing.

Im sorry but i dont get that at all..

Hi,
For larger tanks, I have used an up turned M & S cherry box for the filter housing.

Another adition is to have a tube going to the surface level, then drill a hole in the food box lid and feed the tube through, seal it upside down just above the water level. There you go, a nice little trickle filter! :)

Thanks,
Chris

Got a few questions.

1) It's just any old sponge right providing it hasn't been used for anything else

2)Would it be possible to use any container. For instance a properly cleaned small drinks bottle with top cut off.

3) Is there a limit to how much air you can you through I have a very large airpump.

Thanks

Got a few questions.

1) It's just any old sponge right providing it hasn't been used for anything else

2)Would it be possible to use any container. For instance a properly cleaned small drinks bottle with top cut off.

3) Is there a limit to how much air you can you through I have a very large airpump.

Thanks

1) It MUST NOT BE CELLULOSE otherwise it will rot and you will have big problems. Make sure it is clean.
2) Of course.
3) There is no physical limit that I know of. Mor air might need a bigger tube.

If anybody else wants help with this in the future, email me: seivadmas@@@gmail...com.

Replace '@@@' with '@' and '...' with '.'

Sam

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back