April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I'm very sorry I have no idea what the first thing you said was, is the water okay? How do I get pure water? How do I make it higher?

All water is OK, though it is not suited to all fish. I gave you some fish species (in very general terms) that should be OK if you use the water you have.

Making water harder means adding more dissolved calcium and magnesium (these two minerals are the prime minerals that determine the GH). This however will significantly limit the suitable fish. You can use a calcareous sand substrate, which is a sand composed of minerals that slowly dissolves calcium and magnesium. There are also rift lake cichlid mineral salts. But this means mixing the water outside the tank at each water change. This may not sound like much, but having done it, I can attest that it is. Making the water soft goes the opposite direction, except here there is only one option and that is using "pure" water on its own or mixed with the tap. Pure water means distilled water or Reverse Osmosis water. Rainwater is basically pure water, though these days it may pick up "stuff" as it falls and not be so "pure." You can buy distilled and RO water, or use a RO unit. They are not inexpensive, and again you have to prepare the water outside the aquarium.

All water is OK, though it is not suited to all fish. I gave you some fish species (in very general terms) that should be OK if you use the water you have.

Making water harder means adding more dissolved calcium and magnesium (these two minerals are the prime minerals that determine the GH). This however will significantly limit the suitable fish. You can use a calcareous sand substrate, which is a sand composed of minerals that slowly dissolves calcium and magnesium. There are also rift lake cichlid mineral salts. But this means mixing the water outside the tank at each water change. This may not sound like much, but having done it, I can attest that it is. Making the water soft goes the opposite direction, except here there is only one option and that is using "pure" water on its own or mixed with the tap. Pure water means distilled water or Reverse Osmosis water. Rainwater is basically pure water, though these days it may pick up "stuff" as it falls and not be so "pure." You can buy distilled and RO water, or use a RO unit. They are not inexpensive, and again you have to prepare the water outside the aquarium.
Okay.. Is my water fine as it is? Im planning on only keeping the fish I already have, maybe some that also need the same water 'levels' is that the right word? Have I told you what fish I have yet?

Okay.. Is my water fine as it is? Im planning on only keeping the fish I already have, maybe some that also need the same water 'levels' is that the right word? Have I told you what fish I have yet?

In post #9 these fish are listed:
rosy barbs, guppies, neon tetras, red phantom tetras, peacock eel, kulhi loaches, snails, shrimp.

You should not have issues with these. Tetras would "prefer" softer water, but these listed are tank raised and should be OK.

Oh okay. What sand do you use? I realise the amount of sand I have doesnt fill 10cm.

What does 10 cm refer to?

You can use aquarium river sand, or to save money (a lot) use quality play sand. In NA we have Quikrete Play Sand, and this is my substrate for 8-9 years now in all tanks. In the UK I understand from other members here that Argos Play Sand is OK. Whatever you use, keep to one sand (colour) as mixing them is not always very successful. An aquarium will look larger with one substrate throughout, and more natural.

Not everyone will agree, but play sand is the only safe industrial sand for all fish. Rougher industrial sands can be used but this depends upon the fish, substrate fish are better with the softer play sand.

What does 10 cm refer to?

You can use aquarium river sand, or to save money (a lot) use quality play sand. In NA we have Quikrete Play Sand, and this is my substrate for 8-9 years now in all tanks. In the UK I understand from other members here that Argos Play Sand is OK. Whatever you use, keep to one sand (colour) as mixing them is not always very successful. An aquarium will look larger with one substrate throughout, and more natural.

Not everyone will agree, but play sand is the only safe industrial sand for all fish. Rougher industrial sands can be used but this depends upon the fish, substrate fish are better with the softer play sand.
Okay, I thought you were in england too haha. I thought sand was unsafe for fish because of the chemicals to make it safe for kids? How much do you wash it through before?
10cm was referring to the depth of sand I wanted to use for plants. Are you sure its completely safe for fish, and I dont have to do anything different to normal?

Okay, I thought you were in england too haha. I thought sand was unsafe for fish because of the chemicals to make it safe for kids?
If it’s safe for kids, it’s safe for fish. There are no harmful chemicals in play sand, hence, making it safe for humans.

Okay, I thought you were in england too haha. I thought sand was unsafe for fish because of the chemicals to make it safe for kids? How much do you wash it through before?
10cm was referring to the depth of sand I wanted to use for plants. Are you sure its completely safe for fish, and I dont have to do anything different to normal?

There is nothing added to Quikrete Play Sand in NA, and so far as I know Argos PS is the same in the UK. These sands are super-refined to remove roughness as much as can be done, that is their great benefit for substrate level fish. Avoid white, otherwise there should be no issues. As for depth, 2-3 inches (7 or 8 cm) when spread evenly over the bottom before aquascaping should be sufficient. You can shift it deeper in the back, but normal water movement usually evens it out over time anyway.

Children eat play sand, either deliberately or because they lick their hands so it has to be safe for human consumption. Adding chemicals to it would make it unsafe for children to use.

I usually wash sand to get rid of the worst of the bits. The wash water can still be a bit cloudy when you use it.
Put a few cm of sand in a bucket and run cold water in, swooshing the sand round. Wait a coupe of seconds for the sand to drop the bottom then pour off the water and repeat till the worst of the cloudiness has gone. Put the washed sand in another container and repeat with the next batch of sand till it's all done.

Children eat play sand, either deliberately or because they lick their hands so it has to be safe for human consumption. Adding chemicals to it would make it unsafe for children to use.

I usually wash sand to get rid of the worst of the bits. The wash water can still be a bit cloudy when you use it.
Put a few cm of sand in a bucket and run cold water in, swooshing the sand round. Wait a coupe of seconds for the sand to drop the bottom then pour off the water and repeat till the worst of the cloudiness has gone. Put the washed sand in another container and repeat with the next batch of sand till it's all done.
Agreed, that’s exactly how I wash my sand, except I do it in 5g buckets when washing larger quantities.

There is nothing added to Quikrete Play Sand in NA, and so far as I know Argos PS is the same in the UK. These sands are super-refined to remove roughness as much as can be done, that is their great benefit for substrate level fish. Avoid white, otherwise there should be no issues. As for depth, 2-3 inches (7 or 8 cm) when spread evenly over the bottom before aquascaping should be sufficient. You can shift it deeper in the back, but normal water movement usually evens it out over time anyway.

Okay, I cant seem to find the one you use. I'm assuming any play sand is safe? Also I just noticed one of my trumpet snails has egg looking things coming off it, am I about to have hundreds of babies?

Okay thanks!

Not all play sand is equal. But since many UK fish keepers use Argos play sand, we know that brand is safe to use.

If you don't mind paying a lot more, there is always sand marketed as aquarium sand.

Quikrete Play Sand is available in North America but not UK so far as I have been told (here on TFF), but your Argos play sand is safe.

Trumpet Snails are livebearing, so eggs are not involved. Maybe youngsters. This is a very useful cleaner in an aquarium, it burrows throughout the substrate keeping it "sweet and healthy" as one old book described it.

Quikrete Play Sand is available in North America but not UK so far as I have been told (here on TFF), but your Argos play sand is safe.

Trumpet Snails are livebearing, so eggs are not involved. Maybe youngsters. This is a very useful cleaner in an aquarium, it burrows throughout the substrate keeping it "sweet and healthy" as one old book described it.

Not all play sand is equal. But since many UK fish keepers use Argos play sand, we know that brand is safe to use.

If you don't mind paying a lot more, there is always sand marketed as aquarium sand.
Is all play sand safe? even coloured?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back