Stocking My Nano

I really do appreciate all the information I've been receiving.

I think that my comment about getting a "starfish" was taken the wrong way... I know a few ppl with marine tanks and a few nano's - they all have a version of a starfish, it's not a brittle.. but not one of those gigantic ones that almost looks like 5 seaslugs having an orgy (pardon the image)... My LR managed to get a few hitchhikers of brittlestars (they are like a light tan colour with brown bands) but they are too small to really make a difference... what do you suggest as a CUC?

Your comment wasn't rude at all, I welcome any information.. I don't do anything to any tank I own without proper research beforehand.. hence why I've been posting here and asking for advice before putting anything actually into my tank...

It is very good that you are so receptive to advice and constructive criticism.

The problem is is that asking a forum for advice is not proper research, IMHO. It's asking people for advice, which can work out great, as in this case, but can also be disasterous. What if you didn't get an AndyWatson, a Donya, or me responding to this thread? How do you know what we are saying is true? You're trusting that we did the research and reading before hand and we did, but you need to go and do this reading for yourself.

Because I have done reading, I have caught people giving poor advice in other forums, or their advice is incomplete. Your questions also change. They become more specific. What books have your actually read?

As for a CUC, it's usually comprised of a group of snails, crabs, and shrimp that serve different functions in a tank. Some clean up waste and food products, others eat algae, others sift the substrate, others focus on the glass and other surfaces. A good CUC will have all these bases covered and will have interesting habits. I love my CUCs, they are very interesting to watch. I agonized over their selection because I was also thinking about long term CUC survival. To me, these are not disposable organisms where once they do their job, they become unimportant. They can become long-standing members of a tank's stock list. I care about whether they are getting enough to eat, and if my tank is clean, I'll provide them with food.

Here's my 8g CUC

2 Electric blue hermits (almost didn't do these, remember Donya, but have not regretted my decision)
1 Emerald crab
1 banded trochus
1 Asterea snail
1 Nassarius snail (had two, a hermit killed one)
1 Fire shrimp

I may add another asterea and some ceriths from my 36g, but it's better to have to add CUC over time than to have too much CUC. Yes, you may sort out your algae problems faster, but you also are left with starving CUC.

they all have a version of a starfish, it's not a brittle.. but not one of those gigantic ones that almost looks like 5 seaslugs having an orgy (pardon the image)...

Derp moment. I bet they are Asterina genus stars - the one type of marine star that both transports well and has a sufficiently adaptable diet to survive in most tanks (although they can still be had by starvation if out-competed by other animals or in too small a tank). Itty bitty guys that reproduce by fission and ride in on LR. So few people add those ornamentally that were not on my Asteroidea radar. One of the reasons people tend not to keep them deliberately is that their diets are unpredictable; some turn into coral munchers. There are "safe" and "unsafe" examples of Asterina stars that look identical for all I can tell, so it's unclear to me from the literature whether it falls along species lines (hard to tell them apart) or if it's environmentally determined.

On a side note: sea slug orgies are usually linear rather than radial and are referred to as "animal chains." Just in case anyone wanted a more specific image. :lol:

they all have a version of a starfish, it's not a brittle.. but not one of those gigantic ones that almost looks like 5 seaslugs having an orgy (pardon the image)...

Derp moment. I bet they are Asterina genus stars - the one type of marine star that both transports well and has a sufficiently adaptable diet to survive in most tanks (although they can still be had by starvation if out-competed by other animals or in too small a tank). Itty bitty guys that reproduce by fission and ride in on LR. So few people add those ornamentally that were not on my Asteroidea radar. One of the reasons people tend not to keep them deliberately is that their diets are unpredictable; some turn into coral munchers. There are "safe" and "unsafe" examples of Asterina stars that look identical for all I can tell, so it's unclear to me from the literature whether it falls along species lines (hard to tell them apart) or if it's environmentally determined.

On a side note: sea slug orgies are usually linear rather than radial and are referred to as "animal chains." Just in case anyone wanted a more specific image. :lol:

From what I heard from a marine biologist friend, the white ones are ok and often a food source for Harlequin shrimp, the green, blue, and brownish ones are the ones that have a tendency to munch on corals. But this is just what I've heard. I don't know for sure. I've got some of the blue ones and to be safe, I take them off when I see them.

Derp moment #2. "Marine star?" Gotta make sure I distinguish them from all those well known freshwater starfish... :S This is what happens when I post after an all-nighter due to a nieghbor's car horn getting stuck on from midnight to 7am.

From what I heard from a marine biologist friend, the white ones are ok and often a food source for Harlequin shrimp, the green, blue, and brownish ones are the ones that have a tendency to munch on corals. But this is just what I've heard. I don't know for sure. I've got some of the blue ones and to be safe, I take them off when I see them.

Of issue though is the range of variation in color, which can be pretty wide and is listed as such in the species descriptions I've read. As an example, I had one Asterina several years back that was blue-gray (never ate corals though...random safe case; perhaps I just didn't supply it with its prey of choice) and it produced clones that grew out anywhere from quite a lot darker to very much lighter towards what one might call "white."

Derp moment #2. "Marine star?" Gotta make sure I distinguish them from all those well known freshwater starfish... :S This is what happens when I post after an all-nighter due to a nieghbor's car horn getting stuck on from midnight to 7am.

Of issue though is the range of variation in color, which can be pretty wide and is listed as such in the species descriptions I've read. As an example, I had one Asterina several years back that was blue-gray (never ate corals though...random safe case; perhaps I just didn't supply it with its prey of choice) and it produced clones that grew out anywhere from quite a lot darker to very much lighter towards what one might call "white."

When in doubt, take it out! LOLOL

Actually it's a shame as I can get a decent population of them and it's great for a harlequin shrimp, but to add yet another thing to my pico that needs to be fed. I'm sort of done with that. The sun corals are more than enough.

Sorry for the hijack Dylan. Eh, you benefit from hearing us banter about starfish and stuff like that.

Dont apologise! I love hearing this kind of information!!!

I was at my LFS today and logged in on my phone to read what you two had said!

I've picked up a "Tychus" Snail? pretty sure he said tychus.. or something like that.. lol!

btw the owner of this particular fish shop breeds marine fish and has been in the business for over 30 years.. so I trust what he says.. he also has a bunch of books there for ppl to read.. and before he sells anybody a coral or fish, he shows them it in the book - he really is a great guy to work with...

I also picked up a few 7dollar mushrooms and a nice little coral that is fitting in perfectly.. did a bit of "reef-scaping" and its looking great..

I also spoke to him about a dwarf lionfish - he told me that having a smaller tank wouldn't be that much of an issue despite the bioload - so keeping water changes regular would be a must.. but he said he could get me one that would be pretty much 100% off live food!! he unfortunately doesnt breed them but he has a source that does.. and he doesnt sell any that aren't showing signs off being weened off of live food.. so great news all round! i'll try get a new pic up this week.. also need to get a new globe for the light, help brighten up my corals a bit more (=

thanks again for everything

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back