Stocking a 35 litre (8 gallon) Biorb Tube tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dantheman1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Completely new to the hobby so please forgive me for my naivety.

Bought a Biorb Tube 35 litre over the weekend. Having read the reviews I can see they aren't the best tank but wanted to start small. I've set up the tank, added a heater and now letting it cycle.

With regard to stocking would anyone be able to advise what fish and quantities I can get in this with regular maintenance. By that I mean regular 10-15% water changes and cleaning etc. I wanted Cardinal Tetras and a couple Amano shrimp. Could anyone advise how many of each? Also, could I get away with 1 or 2 slightly larger fish in there too?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid that 35 litres is not suitable for cardinal tetras, it is too small.

But before we can suggest fish that would be suitable, we need to know how hard your tap water is. Hardness is important to fish, they need to be in the same hardness as the water they evolved in. You should be able to find how hard your water is somewhere on your water provider's website. We need the number and the unit as they could use any one of half a dozen different units.
Once we have this information we'll be able to help you choose fish.

Essjay,

Many thanks for your welcome and your reply.

The fact the tank is too small is a shame, but I accept that.

I have checked the water hardness and is as follows:
HARD
113mg/l as calcium
282.5mg/l as calcium carbonate

No suprise here by London standards

Thanks again,
Dan

Could you post the dimensions of the tank as well please, OP?

You would be okay with male Endlers or guppies (no females, as they will breed and you don't have room for fry), as neither of those species are far or fast swimmers.

There may be a couple more species that would be suitable, but we'd need to know the dimensions of the tank. Length and width are actually far more important than volume when it comes to stocking, as some fish need more room to swim than others, even if they're the same size.

Many thanks for all you replies.

Tank is a Biorb Tube 35. It is a circle with a diameter of 40cm and a height of 36.4cm

I agree with fluttermoth.
a little group of male only endlers would be really nice.
I have these and they come in a variety of striking colors and designs and they are super active...they never stop. They explore the whole tank so they're super entertaining.
They are very small bodied so don't have a large bioload which is perfect for your little tank.
And the ones that I've had have done very well with Amano shrimp....although watch them with any other dwarf shrimp. I've seen mine full on ram into them making them weak.
They're very rambunctious.

Most reactions

trending

Back