Starting a new anacharis forest for my ember tetras.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I was able to find a little more anacharis and decided to start another Anacharis forest for my ember tetra. I planted it yesterday and my ember tetra moved right in. All 5 of them were in it this morning. The last anacharis forest was at the other end of the tank before I lost most of it. I took some pictures of them enjoying their new woods. I hope to add a few more embers and expand the forest when and if the LFS has more.

Attachments

• GEDC1509.JPG
    GEDC1509.JPG
    347.6 KB · Views: 268
  • GEDC1510.JPG
    GEDC1510.JPG
    379.2 KB · Views: 271
  • GEDC1508.JPG
    GEDC1508.JPG
    385.5 KB · Views: 256
The forest set up looks great! I've mine spaced out but I might try a grouping in one spot for my tetra.

I ordered a pack because it's wrecking my head :rofl: also ordered some glue to set the Java miss better in place too. And wood for my Plecos.

I think I need a job to fund my tank addiction :rofl:

Do you use plant weights? Everytime I clean my gravel my Elodea/anacharis goes for a swim & has to be replanted
How much substrate do you have in the tank? Is it gravel or sand? Once Anacharis has a time to settle in, and has proper nutrients, they will start to develop long roots, that keep it in place really well.

Looking good @Retired Viking!

How much substrate do you have in the tank? Is it gravel or sand? Once Anacharis has a time to settle in, and has proper nutrients, they will start to develop long roots, that keep it in place really well.

Looking good @Retired Viking!

Oh I've no idea how much. Got a bag of gravel but couldn't tell you what weight it was. I think it's more than my gravel cleaning in deep into the gravel. I'm treating for ICH so wanna make sure it gets a good clean.

That’s gonna look good again. Thanks for the half of flourish twice a week tip btw.
Back right half of mines known as The Enchanted Forest. I think it’s where the CS live. I was given 13 CS and rili shrimp of various ages and they were all alive when they went in but we only see the five biggest during day time. The little uns are only seen out and about after dark by torchlight.
I was given them by a 40+ year veteran fish keeper who lives on the corner plus five 4” or so anacharis they’ve grown insanely fast. Water levels 550mm /22” from bottom of tank and four different plants are already there or thereabouts after a month with the anacharis already floating along the surface.
The valis is being overshadowed a bit so may get swapped with the really long anacharis tomorrow morning.
Stay safe everyone.

Oh I've no idea how much. Got a bag of gravel but couldn't tell you what weight it was. I think it's more than my gravel cleaning in deep into the gravel. I'm treating for ICH so wanna make sure it gets a good clean.
Oh, I meant the height of the gravel in the tank, not the weight. (In/cm) :)

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200816_222126.jpg
    MVIMG_20200816_222126.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 192
  • MVIMG_20200816_221643.jpg
    MVIMG_20200816_221643.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 198
Oh d'oh! From 1cm to 3cms in places.
I would recommend at least 5cm of substrate. (Or at least in the back)

You don’t have to change anything, you can use weights, but this advice is coming from someone who has successfully grown Anacharis for over a year. :) (not meaning to sound arrogant either...)

I would recommend at least 5cm of substrate. (Or at least in the back)

You don’t have to change anything, you can use weights, but this advice is coming from someone who has successfully grown Anacharis for over a year. :) (not meaning to sound arrogant either...)

I've weights on the way. Do you think I should add more gravel to the tank? It's not arrogance at all - I'm really grateful for all advice. It's helped me really turn this tank around.

(Sorry @Retired Viking for hogging your thread)

I am in negotiations* to get a bigger tank in a few months. And I'll likely turn this tank into a Betta tank with lots of plants. So 58L/16 US gallons for a Betta.

*I mean negotiations with my husband to make/clear enough space for one :rofl:

If you really want a heathy Anacharis tank, then yes, I would add more gravel. But if you will just (maybe.. ;)) are going to get another tank soon, then I wouldn’t.

I have around 2in (5cm) of sand in all my tanks - that amount of substrate helps the plant to become properly anchored in the sand.

I think for now I'll leave it and when I get a bigger tank I can change things up. I think the sand looks nicer so maybe that would be the way to go. At least with a new, bigger tank I can start off right and really plan it out too. But omg plants are just so beautiful an addition :wub:

But yeah my few centimeters are clearly lacking :rofl:

I think for now I'll leave it and when I get a bigger tank I can change things up. I think the sand looks nicer so maybe that would be the way to go. At least with a new, bigger tank I can start off right and really plan it out too. But omg plants are just so beautiful an addition :wub:

But yeah my few centimeters are clearly lacking :rofl:
Play sand works great, as it’s cheap, safe, and looks good. (Just something to keep in mind. ;))

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back