Starting a new anacharis forest for my ember tetras.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Play sand works great, as it’s cheap, safe, and looks good. (Just something to keep in mind. ;))

Like kids sand? That stuff is like hens teeth since the lockdowns :fun: literally every outdoor play toy or activity and all arts & crafts supplies sold out :(:rofl:

I'll keep an eye out. My toddler plays with kinetic sand so I can't steal that.

Last edited:
Like kids sand? That stuff is like hens teeth since the lockdowns :fun: literally every outdoor play toy or activity and all arts & crafts supplies sold out :(:rofl:

I'll kee an eye out. My toddler plays with kinetic sand so I can't steal that.
Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but it works! :lol:
1597617516386.jpeg

Thank you!

Yes it is! (Profile picture)

His name is Ace, and he’s a Spadetail male Plakat betta.

Here is my 29g tank, when it was completely full of Anacharis:
263BA89E-09E1-40A1-B945-7D6909FAAFCC.jpeg

This is what it looks like now:
476F9D70-CBEE-4A90-9548-3EFB3AC1392E.jpeg

Here is my 10g (same tank) when it was complete full as well:
EFFD9477-23B1-49A4-9A01-869814A224CE.jpeg

Not trying to brag, just trying to give you an idea of what play sand/Anacharis looks like in a tank. :)

It's not bragging! I think it's so great to see other tanks. Firstly cause they're beautiful and secondly cause I get inspiration from them.

What size is the Betta's tank? It looks nice and roomy.

All your tanks are lovely but omg that 29G now is amazing! I think I'll be looking at 30G tank. Or 40G. Basically whatever allows me to keep.my Bristlenose Plecos (2).

I've weights on the way. Do you think I should add more gravel to the tank? It's not arrogance at all - I'm really grateful for all advice. It's helped me really turn this tank around.

(Sorry @Retired Viking for hogging your thread)

I am in negotiations* to get a bigger tank in a few months. And I'll likely turn this tank into a Betta tank with lots of plants. So 58L/16 US gallons for a Betta.

*I mean negotiations with my husband to make/clear enough space for one :rofl:
I love that you're "in negotiations", lmao. Remind him that he wants to keep the plecos, so it's for him really ;)
I like the river stones you've got in there, they look good and the colour is nice. Plants do find larger size stones like that harder to root in though. Larger stones means more gaps around them, means the roots can't really settle in and grip the way they can in a finer gravel or sand, so making this gravel deeper isn't really a fix anyway. Better to just use the plant weights :)

I'll keep an eye out. My toddler plays with kinetic sand so I can't steal that.
You have to be careful of the source you use for play sand, especially since lots are dyed, which would leech into the water and poison the tank. The only known aquarium safe play sand I've seen mentioned anywhere in the UK is the Argos play sand, which only comes in the one colour. (Americans seem to have a lot more options) It's not a bad colour though, and it's only a fiver for a bag! Or any sand meant for aquariums would be okay. Just make sure it's an inert sand, not a silicate or coral one, since those would change your water parameters.

I will remember none of that so thank tech gods for the search function :)

I like the finer wispy looking sand. But again I can figure all that out later. For now if I can keep my lil crazy tank going it'd be great.

I basically need to find a space for a big one to go. I love the idea of a sitting room tank but then water changes are easy in the kitchen. Plus sitting room means toddler play area and anything could end up in the tank o_O so I'm actually rejigging the kitchen for space and convinced my husband to put up new shelving... To make space elsewhere for a tank :rofl:

Sorry for the waffle haha but yes I wanna be confident with this tank and plan the new one right :wub:

I will remember none of that so thank tech gods for the search function :)

I like the finer wispy looking sand. But again I can figure all that out later. For now if I can keep my lil crazy tank going it'd be great.

I basically need to find a space for a big one to go. I love the idea of a sitting room tank but then water changes are easy in the kitchen. Plus sitting room means toddler play area and anything could end up in the tank o_O so I'm actually rejigging the kitchen for space and convinced my husband to put up new shelving... To make space elsewhere for a tank :rofl:

Sorry for the waffle haha but yes I wanna be confident with this tank and plan the new one right :wub:
Oh god, toddlers playing in a room with a big tank would have me terrified 24/7, I get it. It's not just what might get put in the tank, it's a toy or something being thrown and smashing the glass... *goes pale*

It's not bragging! I think it's so great to see other tanks. Firstly cause they're beautiful and secondly cause I get inspiration from them.

What size is the Betta's tank? It looks nice and roomy.

All your tanks are lovely but omg that 29G now is amazing! I think I'll be looking at 30G tank. Or 40G. Basically whatever allows me to keep.my Bristlenose Plecos (2).
So glad my tanks have given you inspiration! :)

Its a 10g tank - very roomy, he loves it!

I have one Albino BNP in that 29g tank. He seems to really like it in there. I would say a 40g tank would be good for 2 BNP, as they don't get that big.

That is a concern... i'm lucky in my room, because my bathroom is connected to my room - super easy WC's.

Good luck! :good:

Cool. I've only used anacharis in one tank, a 10 gallon back when I knew a great deal less than I thought I did. ha ha It grew like crazy for a few months, then it all up and died.

I was able to find a little more anacharis and decided to start another Anacharis forest for my ember tetra. I planted it yesterday and my ember tetra moved right in. All 5 of them were in it this morning. The last anacharis forest was at the other end of the tank before I lost most of it. I took some pictures of them enjoying their new woods. I hope to add a few more embers and expand the forest when and if the LFS has more.

Do they grow fast or slow?

Most reactions

Back