Something Wrong With My Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the jack Dempsey identification question was sent out because I had heard there was some way to tell the difference between a male and female by their top fin. I was obviously mistaken.

Oscars,if you have done your reading an research, don't have any way of identification accept by seeing them lay eggs and spawn( and seeing their reproductive organs). I was familiar with oscars in this matter. But like I said was only curious about one way of identification of jacks. That is the only reason I even put out such a question.

do your fish a favour and get it a 55 gallon tank it only costs 50 bucks.

Skal....seriously? An OSCAR in a 20g?!?!?! Are you intentionaly daft or just stubborn? 100 guppy fry in a 10g is downright cruel. With that many fish, you would've needed daily water changes. Cyclonorex, don't listen to this poorly misguided and in uneducated member. As soon as it is possible buy a 75g tank with appropriate filter and heater. The Oscar will enjoy himself in there and won't be stunted. Meanwhile, Skal, I suggest you check yourself and your facts before posting such ghastly misleading info

I said sounds like some lies because the St. Louis area has a large population of 1million people aprox. And for you to be able to stock all the pet stores with fish would take an aquatic farm to meet the demands.

You assumed I meant all stores :rofl: I don't sell to chains and in the great city of St. Louis, there are only 3 reputable pet stores that aren't chains. If you knew about cichlids, you would know that 1 batch is enough to send 100+ to each of the 3. And based on pricing most people won't shop at those stores unless they know a thing or two about fish. That and as common as Jacks are, most people aren't exactly crooning stores trying to get their hands on a fish most cannot adequately keep. I mean, if I am going to spend 15 dollars on a fish that gets 12 inches, I'm going to at least be able to house it properly.

Does this forum member have any warning points?

Also the jack Dempsey identification question was sent out because I had heard there was some way to tell the difference between a male and female by their top fin. I was obviously mistaken.

Oscars,if you have done your reading an research, don't have any way of identification accept by seeing them lay eggs and spawn( and seeing their reproductive organs). I was familiar with oscars in this matter. But like I said was only curious about one way of identification of jacks. That is the only reason I even put out such a question.

The mod team are not going to discuss warning points, except with the member concerned (sorry :p )

Wouldn't expect anything else from you, FM, to be honest.

It was partly rhetorical, partly a hint to you (the MOD team, not you individually) and partly a warning to this buffoon.

I have to say, though, that another forum member that I know of has received account suspensions for similar activity.

Well, work on your grammar Dieses it will help you to communicate.(that's what started this)
And look up how many people live in the St. Louis area.

First of all one hundered fry in a ten gallon tank is not bad at all, depends on the kind of fry in piticular.

Second of all you can keep an Oscar in a twenty most of it's life if not all of it's life with out stunting it's growth. Fish grow to the size of their aquarium. A lot of of people keep two oscars in a fifty five gallon permanently it's a known fact. Just cause you wasted your money a 200 gallon tank doesn't mean everyone needs to follow suit. Many people have done what I have done with my fish and would agree with me. Go on you tube see how blind you truelly are to reality.

Well, work on your grammar Dieses it will help you to communicate.(that's what started this)
And look up how many people live in the St. Louis area.
Please don't get into personal attacks on other members.

Second of all you can keep an Oscar in a twenty most of it's life if not all of it's life with out stunting it's growth. Fish grow to the size of their aquarium.
I can't think of a single person on here that would agree with you. We like to promote the very highest standards here, and keeping a fish in a tank that would not allow it to turn around if it grew to full size, is not and can never be good practice. 'Fish growing to the size of the tank' is stunting and, while there's no evidence that the fish's internal organs continue to grow, it does shorten their lifespan, and impact their health, leading to stress and deformities.

There are also psychological implications of not allowing fish to have freedom to move or express natural swimming patterns. those things are cruelty, even if the fish is not physically injured.

A lot of of people keep two oscars in a fifty five gallon permanently it's a known fact. Just cause you wasted your money a 200 gallon tank doesn't mean everyone needs to follow suit. Many people have done what I have done with my fish and would agree with me. Go on you tube see how blind you truelly are to reality.
Just because a lot of people do things doesn't make it right, and doesn't mean it should be encouraged or recommended. Lots of people are involved in dog fighting, that doesn't make it right.

Of all the places to learn about fishkeeping, YouTube would be the very, very worst. I have never seen more appalling examples anywhere else.

why I said what I did was Dieses insulted me, she has edited it greatly since she posted her comments. Some of this was started on chat and has been going ever since anything I comment on whether tank size related or not dieses contradicts and insults look at all of her posts about my commentsl. Just about all of them have been edited since the oringinal posting. I will do you all a favor how about this I will not comment as much as is possible about tank size for a while. I will just comment on everything not tank size related. I am quite familiar with tank worms, parasites, and other sicknesses. I know a fair amount of stuff about fry and healthy fish diets. I am only trying to state my opinion please if you want to talk to me personally talk to me on my messenger for my profile.

I can't think of a single person on here that would agree with you. We like to promote the very highest standards here, and keeping a fish in a tank that would not allow it to turn around if it grew to full size, is not and can never be good practice. 'Fish growing to the size of the tank' is stunting and, while there's no evidence that the fish's internal organs continue to grow, it does shorten their lifespan, and impact their health, leading to stress and deformities.

There are also psychological implications of not allowing fish to have freedom to move or express natural swimming patterns. those things are cruelty, even if the fish is not physically injured.

I was stating that the only way of identification is during spawning when you see their organs. Unlike most cichlids oscars have only one way of identification as stated. I was not trying to say anything more. My oscars can swim normally in their tank just like anyone else's tank. My fish are very happy and active they almost never get sick and I own about 300 fish(not counting crustaceans). I know very well when a fish is being cruelly treated like you said they have trouble like you said doing their normal swimming habits and start acting oddly. My fish are not in any such state. If what has stated begins to happen I will get them a new bigger tank. However, do some reading fish do grow according to their tank, and there is acual evidence of this. My cichlids are not quite adults yet they are only 4-5 inches long and are living happily in their tank of 75 gallons.

any other questions talk to me over my member messenger thank you.

Why do you insist on posting and encouraging erroneous information? For Pete's sake, why? You're not helping anyone. You're hindering others in learning and at the same time condemning fish to lifelong cruelty.

Please, do tell me on how you can tell your fish are happy. Did you ask them?
That's literally the biggest BS you can use as an excuse..."my fish are happy"
Abused dogs will still wag their tails after their owners beat them
A captive dolphin still has that "smile" on it's face even if it's living in a small pool
A bullied child will still act "happy" on the outside, even though on the inside they are miserable

You simply cannot judge a fish's "happiness" You can provide for their needs, and hope they are complacent with their lives.
In this case, you need to provide an Oscar with a 75g MINIMUM.

Your oscar can "swim normally in their tank just like anyone else's tank"
Ok, well, going by that logic, your Oscars will be very "happy" in my Fluval Chi 5g. I can tell, trust me.

"However, do some reading fish do grow according to their tank, and there is acual evidence of this"
Of course there is evidence of this. Wanna know what it's called? It's called stunted growth. It results in a misshapen, tortured fish who lives in constant pain and suffering. There is no cure or treatment. Except giving them a bigger tank before they are stunted.

What you are attempting to do is like trying to raise an alligator to live solely in a bathtub. It simply isn't going to work.

Funny on how you chided DM for poor grammar, but I see an astounding rate of grammatical errors in your posts...

"I own about 300 fish"
Do you now? What, did you stuff them all in a 20g?
There is absolutely no reason or excuse why there are over 100 fish in a 10g
It doesn't matter if they are fry, guppies, or whatever. It is absolutely, unnessecarily and downright cruel to have 100 fish in a 10g.

"I know very well when a fish is being cruelly treated"
No, you don't. You absolutely cannot. Otherwise, you would not be so scarily OK with keeping 100+ fish in a 10g, JDs and Oscars in a 55g, and telling others an Oscar will be fine in a 20g.

You assumed I meant all stores
rofl.gif
I don't sell to chains and in the great city of St. Louis, there are only 3 reputable pet stores that aren't chains. If you knew about cichlids, you would know that 1 batch is enough to send 100+ to each of the 3. And based on pricing most people won't shop at those stores unless they know a thing or two about fish. That and as common as Jacks are, most people aren't exactly crooning stores trying to get their hands on a fish most cannot adequately keep. I mean, if I am going to spend 15 dollars on a fish that gets 12 inches, I'm going to at least be able to house it properly.

Well that explains why I thought it was a lie cause you can't sell to chains. And if you are claiming to sell to all the stores in St. Louis, you would be clearly telling lies like an imature adult.

Listen I know animals and when they are happy and sad. You have never seen my fish or there tank so this is clearly a stupid arguement.

@crossfire and Dieses

Listen I know animals and when they are happy and sad. You have never seen my fish or there tank so this is clearly a stupid arguement.

@crossfire and Dieses

Wanna know what a stupid argument is?
Trying to justify keeping +100 fish in a 10g and JDs and Oscars in a 55g, and telling people Oscars are fine in 20g.

You make no sense in your arguments. By your "logic" I could keep an alligator in a bathtub and it'll be "happy". I could keep a cat in a shoebox and it'll be "happy". Heck, I could shove you into a dog crate, and I just tell everyone you're happy
smile.png

Again, you cannot judge a fish's happiness. Unless you speak fluent fish, and have a show on Animal Planet about how you're a "Fish Whisperer" I'm not going to take you seriously.

I don't want to see your tanks, I have an irrational fear of being horrifyed with images of stunted fish.

Ok, I think this thread has gone far enough now.

Everyone's had their say, the OP is clearly not getting any help with their problem at this point, and the best advice for them to follow is all on the first page.

OP; you've been given advice, you can, ulitmately, decide for yourself what you want to do, and whose advice you want to follow. no-one is going to come round your house and force you to get a bigger tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back