Something Wrong With My Oscar

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclonerex

Reaction score
I have a 7 inch Oscar and had an equally long plecostamus in my tank. The fish were looking sluggish. Yesterday, the plecostamus died. I do water changes every two weeks. I checked nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and ph. All were high except nitrite... And the ph registered below 6.0. I have been able to correct the ph and am hoping the water changes,etc. help. The Oscar is looking much better and is much more active, but will not eat.

Tank size: 20 gallon tank
pH: was under 6.0. Now at 6.8
ammonia: high
nitrite: n/a
nitrate: high
kH:
gH:
tank temp: about 80

Well, for starters, the tank is too small for the fish. and you ammonia being high suggests ammonia poisoning.

DM is very right. A single Oscar requires a 75g alone. If the tank was not previously cycled, the Oscar is suffering from ammonia poisoning.

Do a very big water change, over 50% to remove as much ammonia as possible, but nothing over 80% or the Oscar will get stressed.
Use Seachem Prime as dechlorinator to remove ammonia, and possibly Seachem Stress Guard to calm and heal the fish.

When he gets better, either return him to the store or get a bigger tank.

How long have these fish been in the tank, OP?

Dieses is quite right, a 20 gallon tank is far, far too small for an oscar of that size. Don't be offended, please, but to be brutally honest, it's verging on cruelty trying to keep big fish without big tanks.

You need to do as many, or as large, water changes as necessary to get the ammonia down to zero or the oscar will die like the plec.

And you need to find a bigger tank ASAP. If you can't get one, then try and get some other kind of container, but it needs to hold at least 50 gallons or so for a fish of that size.

Thanks. Kind of what i suspected. I moved him about six months ago when he was about 3 1/2 inches. He has grown incredibly quickly to this size.

He will be fine. It will take some work and money foryou, but if you really care about your oscars, i know you will do right by him.

I disagree the twenty should be fine for a long time. Sometimes oscars get picky about there food and will not eat for a day or two or sometimes a bit longer. However, he might also be sick. Sickness can cause oscars not to want to eat.

7 inches and you think its fine? What kind of sicko are you? Amazing what your supposed experience has taught you.

You know, Skal, I understand you might be a little butthurt and have your panties in a twist after our conversation in chat, but telling people new to fish bad advice is a painful way to get back, especially when it has devastating effects. Grow up kid and do some research.

I have done stuff with my tank that works fine for me. I don't really agree with what you think most of the time Dieses. In America there is freedom of speech. I can voice my opinions and my personal experiences. By the way I'm not butthurt and I don't get butt hurt easy. You don't know me or what I have done.

You must understand I don't want any arguements with you. I know I have sometimes kept the arguements going, sorry about that will work on it. So you will just have to agree to disagree me sometimes. I know your expertise is with cichlids. I understand you breed them and sell them to petstores. I totally respect that, but I ask that you respect my expertise as well. I am not a fish newbie, I have had many fish and aquariums I know about fresh water fish and some saltwater as well as crustaceans. I know a lot about breeding and sexing all sorts of little aquatic critters and fish. My expertise even reaches into reptiles and amphibians. I know how to breed them too. I hope we can come to some agreement or peaceful conclusion.

When you are telling someone with a 7 inch oscar in a 20g tank that their fish is fine, I have a little trouble understanding or respecting your expertise. You are telling someone that animal cruelty is fine. I'm sorry that you do not agree with me, but my expertise comes from renowned cichlid keepers who's experience debunks everything you say. It's great that you think you know about fish. It really is, but understand that your ideals and ideas are hurtful to fish and are not right. Great that you think your fish are fine, and great that you think it works. Trust me. It doesnt. 100 fish in a 10g per your first ever post is NOT acceptable, its cruel, and your advice is hurtful.

YOU must understand that it is not about american freedom of speech. It is about doing what is right. Would you raise a kitten in a shoebox? Probably not because it is cuddly and cute. Why do the same to a fish?

I could see a 20 long short term for that size cichlid, med or quar situation. As a long term plan, no.

I find it odd that a few months back you were requesting information on how to determine the gender of a fairly common large cichlid, now you are giving stocking advice on how to keep that size cichlid that is totally contrary to what breeders of that size cichlid would even consider doing. Wish I could have beat that learning curve so quickly & easily way back.

I'd be really interested in hearing your breeding techniques, and seeing some pics of your setups, as well as the result of your breeding projects. I have plenty of customers that I sell a variety of products to that would be very interested in finding a way around large tanks for breeding their large cichlids.

I have to agree with you there tolak. This little gem here, where it is stated that 100 fish in a 10g is fine....WOW. http://www.fishforum...r/#entry3410857

So you are an expert on Oscars, but don't know how to sex a Jack Dempsey......

Shame you doubted what I know. Ask the St Louis pet stores about my stock. I believe you called me a liar earlier..

oh and this gem as well as far as your seriousness towards keeping fish in general. Looks like the meanderings of a small child that is more into mischief than taking responsibility for actions.

http://www.fishforum...by-tiger-oscar/

or this

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/404729-jack-dempsey-tank-mates/page__st__20

Dieses those fish were all livebearers and I had them in a ten for maybe a year they were not all adults, and I constantly changed the water every week. They all grew to a good size and I sold many of them( everyone loved those fish who bought them). The fish were very happy I would feed them three to two times a day. And would collect healthy fry every two weeks:)!

I said sounds like some lies because the St. Louis area has a large population of 1million people aprox. And for you to be able to stock all the pet stores with fish would take an aquatic farm to meet the demands.

I could see a 20 long short term for that size cichlid, med or quar situation. As a long term plan, no.

I find it odd that a few months back you were requesting information on how to determine the gender of a fairly common large cichlid, now you are giving stocking advice on how to keep that size cichlid that is totally contrary to what breeders of that size cichlid would even consider doing. Wish I could have beat that learning curve so quickly & easily way back.

I'd be really interested in hearing your breeding techniques, and seeing some pics of your setups, as well as the result of your breeding projects. I have plenty of customers that I sell a variety of products to that would be very interested in finding a way around large tanks for breeding their large cichlids.

Sure any thing you say I will gladly tell you, Tolak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back