Snail Smashed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Binge

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So i did a massive water change on my wifes tank tonight filter cleaning and all I got finished and put the tank back together. As I was walking aound the tank I heard a crunch. I looked down horrified to see my brown mystery snail on the floor with his shell in pieces. He must ahve been clinging to the hood when I removed it or climbed out when I did not notice.

Is there anything I can do to help him? I placed him back in the tank for now.I am extreamly upset about this as he was the first snail I baught and had gone from a quareter sized shell to a hackey sack :(.

he is in my breeding trap over my bubbler at this point to keep the fish off of him his shell is a mess though :(

Just realized it is not my brown but one of the two golds. (gives ya an idea how bad the shell is I couldnt tell color) Glad it is not the brown but I am still very upset between the 3 of em I have a lot of very pretty baby snails I intended to keep the 3 for as long as i could and sell off my babys once they were a little bigger :(

So sorry, but I don't think there is anything you can do for the snail. Is it even still alive? Don't let him sit in your tank too long, you will likely get an ammonia spike.

*shudders* I hate the sound of crunching snail shells. We get really bad snails on our garden path when it rains, and if I come in in the dark, I pray for no crunchy noises as it makes me physically sick...

unfortunately your snail is probably dead. Get it out of your tank before it starts rotting and adding ammonia to the tank.

I'd be surprised if it's still alive :blink:

I don't think there's much you can do for it at this point, unfortunately..

Well He has been in the breedign trap all day he moved this mornign when I was watcing and is in a different spot now. Dunno if he moved or what. Will lift the trap slightly outta teh water and see if he reacts here in a few.

Well He has been in the breedign trap all day he moved this mornign when I was watcing and is in a different spot now. Dunno if he moved or what. Will lift the trap slightly outta teh water and see if he reacts here in a few.

Sorry to hear this. How big is the crack in the shell, or is it in pieces? There are stories on the net of people mending a hole in a snail shell with a piece of shell from another snail or even eggshell. I cant remember what they use for glue. Continue to watch him though and watch water quality. Keep sniffing him too. He will smell bad if he is dead and that is when you get rid.

http://www.applesnail.net/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21079

A pic would be great depending on the damage i can guide you on how repair a shell, if bits are missing etc he will die and best to end it now for him/her

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back