Small Fish

im not wrong they can fit in there

I'm not saying your wrong.

Dwarf Gouramis, a male and a female make a nice contrast. Red & Blue, Silver and Gold.

Never put a couple together with gouramis; the female will get hassled too much by the male, and will be stressed the whole time because of that.

For a 8 gallon, I would say 1 colisa chuna (less vulnerable to diseases as the dwarf gourami) as a centrepiece, and then a shoal of galaxy rasboras.
 
Just to finish off this thread (Tank has been delayed due to a house move and redecorating)

I am going to set this tank up now in June / July and the final fish stocking I have decided on is as follows:

10 Galaxy Rasboras
10 Pygmy Corys

Yes it is overstocked if you go by the traditional inch per gallon rule. Please remember that this is going to be a fully planted Nano and planted tanks can stretch the rules (within reason) as long as the fish/plantkeeper has enough experience.

I wouldn't suggest someone decides to go planted just to enable heavy fishloads as if you get it wrong the fish will suffer. Plants they help aid filtration and provide natural cover/hiding places which not only let fish get away from each other but can also break up their vision of each other. Getting it wrong can mean heavy ammonia spikes and this of course affects the fish which is why I say experience is needed.

It is for this reason I upped the corys and didn't go for the sparkling Gouramis as the size of the tank could've ended up with a battle in the higher reaches (if a Nano has higher reaches. lol).

As an example of heavy stocking in planted tanks my 125Ltr/33USG has had at one stage the following with no change of colouration, behaviour or ill effects:

4 x Pitbull Plecs (3 inches each) = 12inches
8 x Otocinclus (2 inches each) = 16inches
20 x Cardinal Tetra (1 inch each) = 20inches
2 x Bolivian Rams (3 inches each) = 6inches

I currently have 4,3,9,2 respectively so not quite as heavy as it was.

For the non mathmetician this equals 54inches or 1.6inches per gallon.

The plecs occupy the bottom, the rams and tetras the middle and the Otos go wherever they want so it divides the tank a little and the plants/caves/woof give them plenty of vision breaks/cover.

Thanks for all your input. These fish will come from Monty at TriMar and will be put into the tank approx 1 month after I set it up as I am using ADA AS as the substrate which will leech ammonia for a month or so. I will mature some media from the mini filter for this tank inside my current external prior to the fish getting in there just for any initial ammonia spikes.

Andy
 
Woah, I didn't know Celestial Pearl Danios where Galaxy Rasboras... Whatever :dunno:...

Where did Celestial Pearl Danios get mentioned????? I said in my opening post I didn't want Danios. and have never said Galxy Rasboras were Pearl Danios. I think I would just about notice the difference in colour between them!!!!

At the moment my stock list would be:
10 Galaxy Rasboras
4 Pygmy Corys
4/5 Sparkling (Pygmy) Gouramis

Andy

I saw the thread and immediately though galaxy rasboras, I am not sure if your list sounds overstocked though, even though it sounds sooooooo cute!!
8g but 18/19 inches of fish worries me slightly.
 
Doesn't make much difference but the actual tank I have decided on is 9.24USG. lol

I'm sure it will be OK. overfiltered (although will only have full media for the first month or so) and fully planted.

andy
 
Doesn't make much difference but the actual tank I have decided on is 9.24USG. lol

I'm sure it will be OK. overfiltered (although will only have full media for the first month or so) and fully planted.

andy

Sounds really gorgeous, can't wait for pics, I'm actually jealous and may have to copy thee :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top