Slightly New To Fish World

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishymom

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Jamie and I am slightly new to the fish keeping world. I used to have 5-10 gallon tanks with male bettas but otherwise have always helped my sister- who spends countless hours on forums such as this and researching aquarium information.  The need to rescue 2 neons in a poorly kept 2.5 gallon tank and an overstocked 10 gallon has brought me full dive to fish keeping.

Currently I have a 30 gallon planted aquarium complete with black sand, drift wood, fluval 20-50 gallon filter, air bubbler (used at night with light off)  6 peppered corydoras catfish, 12 neon tetras, 5 zebra danios, 2 nerite and numerous trumpet and ramshorn snails. Their diet consists of tropical fish flakes and shrimp pellets (fed 2x daily), and frozen brine shrimp or blood worms (1-2 times per week).  The tank is kept around 77 degrees, with  pH 7.8, 0 Nitrites, 0 Ammonia, and 5-10 Nitrates.  I have been mixing distilled water with tap (4 gallons distilled to 6 gallons tap) to lower the KH to 53.7 ppm and GH to125.3 ppm.  I know the pH is too high and thought the distilled would help but i realize it is not.  I am still learning how the kh and gh relate to pH.

I also am treating for ich and fungus with Seachem Paraguard once a day with usually a 30% water change before administration of meds.  It doesn't seem to getting significantly better but its not worse either and the corys are still eating their pellets and acting normal.

I appreciate any comments or advice since I am still learning and I just want healthy, happy fish! 
smile.png

photo 1 1.JPG

:hi:

Welcome the Forum, you have come to the right place for advice and to share your tanks and fish :)

Hope you enjoy the forum.

I had ICH in my 29gal. This is what I did to treat it:

API Super ICK treatment. No need to change any part of the directions unless you have plecos or "scaleless" fish. If so, do a half dose or less. Make sure you take the carbon out. I know it sounds dangerous but it actually helps. Reason being is the ICH meds will get cleaned out by the carbon which counteracts the treatment. If you haven't already, TURN the TEMP up! It actually helps speed things up killing ICH as the parasite does not like high temps. Keep it around at least 82F if possible. If you can do more, do so but I wouldn't do anymore than 84F. It can take up to 2 weeks for ICH to get better. After there are no signs of ICH, I would just replace the carbon. It may not be dangerous to use the same one, but I would rather replace it.

As far as your pH, using distilled water is probably not a good idea. I would test your tap water to see where it is at. As one of the great members suggested to me with the pH from tap, leave the water out for 24 hours to see the actual pH. Although you do not have any Nitrates now, I would test for this anyway. I use the API liquid and is more accurate than the test strips. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back