Sick betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mikesfish

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with my sick betta. Has been loosing color just wants to sit in corners up top

Attachments

• Betta.jpg
    Betta.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 47
How long has this been going on? Is the surface of the water agitated to allow oxygen in and is the tank cycled? I put some fish in an uncycled tank once and when the ammonia built up they all went to the surface and tried to escape via the corners.

Others will be able to help more than me.

Can we have your water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ect)
How long have you had the fish and where did you get him?
How long was the tank running before you got the fish?

So water parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite3.0
Hardness 25
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 300
ph is above 8

I've had fish for about 6 months, started having problems about 2 months ago. I've lost 2 sets of mystery snails that i had with the betta. Fish tank is 6 gallon.
Right now I'm changing about 40% water everyday and adding 2 tablespoon aquarium salt everytime. I've done the 40%water change and aqurium salt for 4 days

Since I've had betta I used R.O. water. Last water change I switched to unchlorinated tap water.

It’s probably your nitrites that are the problem, but I’m not sure how to get rid of them other than live plants and water changes every day. What dechlorinator do you use for your water changes?

I use water from well. I use normal filter and bubbler. I noticed that bubbles or foam form on top of water

I use water from well. I use normal filter and bubbler. I noticed that bubbles or foam form on top of water
OK, you may want to use a conditioner that binds metals.

Your Nitrites should be 0. How long has your filter been in your tank. (Apologies, I meant time, not physical dimensions in above post)

To emphasize, do large water changes, sooner than later.

also to add on: normally no fish even fish that can get used to higher phs like bettas can live in 8+ph
8+ph is the African Chiclid and Rainbowfish Zone

well water is probably the reason, and some driftwood might help or rotten leaves

nitrites stress fish out and your fish has the excact symptoms of poisoning (nitrite and ammonia)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The fish doesn't appear to have any external diseases I can see. However, it is very stressed out.

Any ammonia or nitrite level above 0.0ppm will affect the fish. You have a nitrite reading and that is probably the problem.

-------------------
The easiest way to reduce anything in the water is with big daily water changes. Check the tap water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite in it. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day until the levels are back on 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-------------------
What sort of filter is on/ in the tank?
How often do you clean the filter?
How do you clean the filter?

-------------------
Did you add anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started (a few months ago)?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

Are you adding 2 heaped tablespoons of salt, or 2 level tablespoons of salt?

-------------------
So water parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite3.0
Hardness 25
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 300
ph is above 8
Is the general hardness 25ppm or something else?
Is the alkalinity 300ppm?

It has to be your nitrite. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic and fatal to fish, and he is trying to escape, like mine did before my tank was cycled. As others have said, keep changing the water to remove the nitrite and test your water parameters daily. Eventually, as long as your source water is not contaminated, you should read 0 ammonia and nitrite at all times. Your water is also very hard, which is an issue for many types of fish. tbh I would focus on getting rid of the nitrite first.

Ok thanks for all the help. So i gotta figure out how to get my nitrites down to zero Seems like my well water has nitrites in it. I'm going to try a setting up live plants.
My well water is very soft and ph is very high. I have a reverse osmosis system . Should I use R.O. water instead ? What is a good water conditioner?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back