Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

sick betta fish help please

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by Erin Sweeney, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Erin Sweeney

Erin Sweeney New Member

805DE959-A1B8-49E1-8439-B25DEC573CEF.jpeg 63CCBAB3-442C-4853-AD9D-DB0318576461.jpeg 42BCD372-6E94-4D77-89B0-6EAF4B5DB1E8.jpeg ive had my betta since september of 2018 in within the last month he’s completely change. he’s in a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. I had two live plants and one died so I took it out. I originally thought my fish had swim bladder so I tried to whole fasting it/ feeding it a pea and that didn’t work. he was sitting at the bottom of the tank and falling over. I have been using betta fix which is what petsmart recommended. last night I noticed him just sitting on the bottom of the tank and now has like red scales or a wound near his head. I put him in a smaller tank hoping it would make it easier for him to swim and get food but now he’s laying completely on his side and is flipping and flailing upside down. I feel bad if he’s dying because he’s suffering but I don’t know what else to do. i’ve tried taking pictures but it’s hard to see into the tank. i’ll try to post pictures but I really only have videos.

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Put him back in his old tank and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Drop the water level down so it is about 4-6 inches. Make sure the filter and heater still work.

Don't use Melafix, Pimafix or Betafix on labyrinth fishes (Bettas & Gouramis), because it can leave an oily film on the surface and cause the fish to suffocate.

Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality or a dirty environment. The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth a read.
    https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

3. Naughts

Naughts Fish Crazy

How's he doing today Erin?

4. Erin Sweeney

Erin Sweeney New Member

he seemed better this morning before I went to work and I came home to him dead :( I feel so bad

5. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

I’m so sorry. @Erin Sweeney, In the future, please keep topics regarding the same issue in one post. It gets confusing when you double post the same issue. Thank you!

#5 Deanasue, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  6. Naughts

Naughts Fish Crazy

I'm so sorry Erin.