Shaky Guppy Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kiladak

Reaction score
Hello

My two guppy females gave birth recently, the oldest had nearly 30 healthy guppy; a week later the second, a younger girl, had only a few, but I could only rescue two from the main tank since she was too fast to have her changed to a birthing tank.

For now, all the fry is living in a small 1 gallon tank, with living plants (anacharis). They are fed crushed flakes, and egg yolk every other day. Since it has no filter, the waste and uneaten food is scooped up to three times a day, and they get daily small water changes with a full change weekly.

Now, the last two younger guppies are 9 days old today, and one of them is not developing properly. It seems obviously smaller (and darker) than it sould be, when at this point I almost can't tell its sibling from their week older cousins. I know not all of them are going to make it, but recently, it has developed a strange problem: it shakes and wobbles to swim, not like when they are newborn, but more energic than that, as if it was trying to shake off something or it was trapped. It also struggles a lot to move upwards to take the food, with its tail dragging down like if it was too heavy. The rest of the time, it sits at the bottom, motionless.The only good thing is that it still has a good appetite.

I don't know if I'm getting paranoid, but I think a few of the oldest, healthiest fry is starting to swim that way. I'm afraid that this little one, being the weakest, caught the first from a disease that might harm/kill my fry. Now I have it in a separated vial miniature-version of their tank. These are my first fry, and I have no idea what am I doing and neither does the petshop girls that sold me the mothers (I went there to ask for new born fry food and they had no idea what I was talking about, so I'm going to assume they also know nothing about sick fry.) A friend told me that a fungus makes adults shake like that, but ignores if it affects fry too. Other friend says that they might be cold (winter is not that harsh here, but still...).

So if anyone knows what is this, or what should I do, or what am I doing wrong, I would be really thankfull, I'd love to get to see at least a few of these guys fully grown. And I'm sorry that this wall of text is too long and messy, english is not my first language.

Thanks for reading.

30 guppy fry in a 1 gallon unfiltered un cycled tank, I would say ammonia is a problem here. Small water changes are not enough I think 50% a day would be better.

Are you heating the tank? Guppies are tropical fish and need warm water or they will get sick and die.
Are you using anything to dechlorinate the tap water?
Do you have a water test kit?

I was doing 25% to 50% changes depinding on the amount of waste I saw. Unfortunately, I do not have awater test kit, they do not sell them anywhere near here ( I will order one online but don't know if it will get there in time for this issue).

I am using the same product to dechlorinate the water that I use for my main tank, the adults there haven't been showing any sign of sickness so far.

I wasn't heathing the tank, since it is too small, I just kept it away from air current and next to the main, heathed tank. But I started last night, it seems to have improved the situation with the older ones,but the youngest is still shaky.

So yeah, I'm going to stick to 50% changes, as you say and lets see what happens.

Thanks for your answer!
smile.png

Hello,
how big is your current main tank?

Cant you add them back in there until you cycle a fry tank? you can use a floating trap or a tub with holes in it so they are in the same good conditions as the adult fish.

The main tank is 29 gallons. I've moved them to a floating trap so they can get warm with the heather. That seems to have improved their condition a lot!

UPDATE-  Well it seems the problems with the little one and the rest of the fry were unrelated.Waterater changes and a warmer enviroment has reduced the sickness on the oldest fry.  As for the little shaky one, now that he's grown a little bit more I've noticed its tail is slightly bent downwards, and thats making him swim with more difficulty :(

So thanks a lot you for your help, people! I'm glad it wasn't very serous and it could be fixed this fast!

Most reactions

Back