Sand in Freshwater Aquariums??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ressiv

Reaction score
Hey!

So Iā€™m in the process of setting up my first tropical tank in probably 5 years and want sand as my substrate.

I can only find two types of sand in my area: aragonite and builders sand.

Iā€™ve heard that aragonite sand causes the pH and calcium levels to go a bit nuts and that builders sand itā€™s much too fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can use??

Thanks!

There has been much discussion on this topic here lately. I want to try it myself but I can't quite believe it's possible. Yet many here swear it's the greatest thing since canned beer. Play sand, washed very thoroughly, and fairly shallow ( 1"- 2" ) seems to be the consensus . Look around for those threads and read up. It's very informative.

Does no-one in your area sell play sand? Toy shops?

Play sand is a lot cheaper. You can get it at Loweā€™s or Ace for around four dollars per 50 lbs bag. Just rinse it thoroughly even though it says pre washed and pre sifted. I put in a food grade bucket and spend about 20 minutes repetitively rinsing and draining per bag.

I can only find two types of sand in my area: aragonite and builders sand.

You probably do not want to use aragonite sand, and you most certainly should never use builders sand. The latter like all building-type sands are not processed so they are rough and sometimes even quite sharp to the touch, because they are intended to bind and rough surfaces do this better.

The aragonite would be worth considering if you have hard water fish species because aragonite is calcareous and will very slowly dissolve calcium and magnesium into the water, raising the GH (hardness) and pH. This continues for years, and in a tank with hard water fish can be beneficial depending upon the initial GH/pH of the source water. But you would never want this in a tank with soft water fish species.

Play Sand is the best aquarium sand because it is safe for all fish, completely inert, plants grow well in it, it is natural in appearance, and it is very inexpensive. If expense doesn't matter, the aquarium sand sold in fish stores will work just as well--provided it is inert and not the aragonite or crushed coral types--but it is much more expensive. I have play sand in all my tanks and have for seven years now and see no reason to ever change.

Play sand is the way to go. It is clean, easy to use, and looks great in a tank. Some people prefer pool filter sand, but not only will the white in the PFS stress out the fish, it is also more expensive. At my Local Lowes (USA) I Can get a 50lb bag of play sand for just over 4$. Like I said, cheap.

(If you want to see what play sand looks like in a tank, before making a decision, then just let me know. I have 3 tanks with it, so I coulda post a picture if you like. Good luck!) ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back