Reaction score
20200701_201844.jpg
20200701_201806.jpg
20200701_204153.jpg
20200629_222830.jpg
20200629_222657.jpg
20200701_201728.jpg
20200701_201626.jpg

Tanks really coming along now, algae is starting to disappear off the rocks and driftwood etc after a little bloom and the plants are lovely and bright. Ive added a another big crypt and some more stem plants along with another small rock cave to make it easier for the apistos to claim their territories.

This tank as 28 Cardinals in now and they really pop against the dark sand and plant back ground.

Apisto's...!:thumbs: I tried a Trio of females (no males in stock at LFS) which i knew might not work with me not adding them altogether and after 3 days the first female was still chasing the new pair. Ive now decided to put the domainant female in my 29g and both parties seem much happier already. Once Males are back in stock i might get one for the 22g and possibly the 29g also :)

OP
Russjw

Russjw

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Need your opinions/advise guys & girls...

Apistogramma situation is stressing me out a bit, think ive made a few bad decisions this week and not sure how to go forward with them.

I purchased a mixed pair of A.Panduros 2 weeks ago which sadly i lost the male so i went to my LFS to get my female some company. Unfortuntely they had no males left so i come away with two females (probably mistake 1).

After introducing the 2 new apisto's the first female wasnt impressed and kept the newcomers in the corner. I watched closely and after 3 days there was no change so i removed the dominant female. First signs was good with her settling in the other tank and the other two getting along but 24hrs later the same problem was occuring in the 22g with 1 female in the corner.

So at the moment two females are in my 55 (maybe mistake 2 but as it stands all looks well enough from the outside, both just going about their business with no chasing) and a single females in the 22g.

Im not sure what to do from this point.

*Not sure long term if they will be ok in the 55g for one. Peaceful barbs and cory in this tank.

*Did i leave it long enough in the 22g with the trio.

*Would it be worth putting all 3 in the bigger tank so their back together but there is more room for them to have a bigger space each.

*Would trying to get another male settle them down in a harem.

*should i leave them as they are???:dunno:

Wills

Staff member
Reaction score
I've often found that if you add new cichlids to exisiting established territories and it goes terribly at the start, then its not going to work long term.

I'm not sure what adding the male would do - it could disrupt and distract the current hierachy and sort of 'reset' it or your dominant female could remain dominant and do damage to them in the same way they have with the other females.

You could try taking them all out and then completely rescaping your tank, and I mean total rescape dont just move things around a bit - break up line of sight as much as possible (which I think you've done well here anyway). You could try and break the surface with wood more, trying to build structures can break up line of sight as can plants but it also gives you crevices and natural cover for them to claim.

I think the rescape could be a good idea - just make sure you change as much as possible.

Wills

OP
Russjw

Russjw

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I've often found that if you add new cichlids to exisiting established territories and it goes terribly at the start, then its not going to work long term.

I'm not sure what adding the male would do - it could disrupt and distract the current hierachy and sort of 'reset' it or your dominant female could remain dominant and do damage to them in the same way they have with the other females.

You could try taking them all out and then completely rescaping your tank, and I mean total rescape dont just move things around a bit - break up line of sight as much as possible (which I think you've done well here anyway). You could try and break the surface with wood more, trying to build structures can break up line of sight as can plants but it also gives you crevices and natural cover for them to claim.

I think the rescape could be a good idea - just make sure you change as much as possible.

Wills
Thanks Wills, that may well be a good option. I have got some more wood and savu pods due in the coming days i could use in a rescape.

Catching 28 Cardinals could be tricky but might be worth a shot to settle them all back in together.

Wills

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah always best to get them all out first :) take the decor out, lower the water and use big nets :)

Wills

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days