Red alert weather warnings

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

294175485_10158473747968204_2104569587012915165_n.jpg

hmmm I'm having some issues - fish all ok but potential plans scuppered!

I've set up an 8 gallon nano in my office and I want to move my 100 litre in there too but even today it is like an oven. I need to get a thermometer over there but it is unbearable and its so hot my laptop cant function even with 3 desk fans pointing at it...

Probably not the best room for them over the summer months... now looking for a portable air conditioner which could be an option I have a door into loft space in the room I could put one of the tubes through and then set it at a target temperature to turn on when required. Running costs could be a bit of an issue but will have to see...

Any other ideas?

Wills

A portable air conditioner doesn't have tubes or ducting. It is a box about the size of the old television sets and are usually on stands with wheels, or you buy the stand separately. You plug them into a normal power socket and they suck air in from the room, cool it with refrigerant, then pump out cold air. Basically, it's just plug n play.

You can also get a portable evaporative cooler air con unit. These are cheaper and just have water flowing over a matter with a fan behind them. They work quite well in dry conditions but as the humidity increases they don't work as well. They are a similar size to the portable air con above, but you fill them with water and turn them on. They draw in air from the room and the fan blows it through the wet matt where it is cooled and the cool air circulates around the room. If you put ice blocks and ice water in the unit, they pump out really cold air.

Last edited:
A portable air conditioner doesn't have tubes or ducting. It is a box about the size of the old television sets and are usually on stands with wheels, or you buy the stand separately. You plug them into a normal power socket and they suck air in from the room, cool it with refrigerant, then pump out cold air. Basically, it's just plug n play.
I've only been able to find the ones you need to put a flexible tube out a door or window? The others are ones that you put ice packs in? Do you know what the all in one unit would be called? I thought maybe condensing, like a tumble dryer that collects the water then realised the outdoor unit on a regular air con is called a condenser.

I have found one with a tube from Lidl thats £170 and has good reviews going to drive round our local ones later to see if they have any left - I imagine they will go quick...

Wills

Most portable air cons in the UK have a tube like a vented tumble drier which has to go out of the window. They also sell kits, sort of sheeting with a hole on the middle for the tube to go through, and the sheet seals the open window.

Any closed system will undergo an increase in entropy (heat). This is Thermodynamics 101. You must remove the heat from your system (home) via pipes or ducting.

You can also get a portable evaporative cooler air con unit. These are cheaper and just have water flowing over a matter with a fan behind them. They work quite well in dry conditions but as the humidity increases they don't work as well. They are a similar size to the portable air con above, but you fill them with water and turn them on. They draw in air from the room and the fan blows it through the wet matt where it is cooled and the cool air circulates around the room. If you put ice blocks and ice water in the unit, they pump out really cold air.

That sounds more like a dehumidifier. A box with cooling tubes, air is drawn in over the cooling tubes, water condenses on them and drips into a container. The fan then blows the dry air over the condenser unit, which gets quite warm, and blows warm air into the room rather than cold air.

Any closed system will undergo an increase in entropy (heat). This is Thermodynamics 101. You must remove the heat from your system (home) via pipes or ducting.
agree and warm air is sucked into your room from outside again with those things (by the vacuum created)
But to be honest : only sitting in the cool airflow makes life a bit better

Most portable air cons in the UK have a tube like a vented tumble drier which has to go out of the window. They also sell kits, sort of sheeting with a hole on the middle for the tube to go through, and the sheet seals the open window.
My first plan - and probably needs to be long term is to drill a circle out of the door to vent into loft space which should be fine but I do have a velux window in there too but wouldnt be able to seal it fully as its open top and bottom - it pivots in the middle. Do you think this would be ok in the short term or would it just not work?

That sounds more like a dehumidifier. A box with cooling tubes, air is drawn in over the cooling tubes, water condenses on them and drips into a container. The fan then blows the dry air over the condenser unit, which gets quite warm, and blows warm air into the room rather than cold air.
This is correct - The exhaust air* is just a bit warmer than the intake air (due to inefficiencies of the dehumidifier system), it does overall make the room air less humid, and therefore more comfortable, but it is not cooling the air inside the closed system of the room.
* - In addition, the waste heat from the motor and any electronics will also contribute to the increase of heat in the room system.

Just get one with tubes and have the tubes in the room with you so it circulates and cools the room air only. If it heats up the room, then stick a tube out the window.

Evaporative cooling air con units are not dehumidifiers. They are small versions of evaporative cooling air conditioners used on houses and buildings. Below are some examples of portable evaporative units sold here.

Most reactions

trending

Back