Red alert weather warnings

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just get one with tubes and have the tubes in the room with you so it circulates and cools the room air only. If it heats up the room, then stick a tube out the window.

Evaporative cooling air con units are not dehumidifiers. They are small versions of evaporative cooling air conditioners used on houses and buildings. Below are some examples of portable evaporative units sold here.

Thanks Colin :)

Just get one with tubes and have the tubes in the room with you so it circulates and cools the room air only. If it heats up the room, then stick a tube out the window.
But here is the rub

If you exhaust air out the window, you will form a partial vacuum (or a lower pressure) in the room compared to outside. As pop science says, "nature abhors a vacuum", and air will now flow into the room from ...

The hot outside

We are currently sitting with all windows and doors open and a cool northerly wind blowing through the house. It's bliss after the last 3 days. I am in northern England. How are those further south today?

And I feel for those involved in the fires :(

Our house is pretty cool as a rule downstairs. Luckily i shut a 29g down last week which was upstairs so thats something less to worry about.

Think my fry tank will be my biggest concern. I may set the 29g back up temporarily somewhere cooler and move them over till this weather passes.

May try the bottle idea in the big tanks🙂
I got one of these on Amazon and it works well to lower the water temperature.

NINEFOX Aquarium Cooling Fan, 12V Adjustable 2/3/4 Heads Aluminum Alloy Fish Tank Cooling System Fan,2 Wind Speed Adjustable Aquarium Chillers​

I live in texas and this summer we had ac go out and then the portion of the house with all the aquariums still gets hot even with the ac because they can't keep up when temps reach too high. Then at night the room temp drops. So we had and are having a lot of issues. The thing has helped the most is. 1. Anywhere i could water drops back into tank. So i lowered the water just an inch below normal so the hob filter has a longer drop and extended the top of just some of the sponge filters where that wasn't an option so it drops back in. 2. Air flow, i put a ton of air stones and air disks at the back of the tanks ( so not to stress the fish as much) the back of the tanks look like solid high flow bubble walls. I invested in an air pump that can run my fish room 4x over just because of this summer and I'm using every bit of the flow. The fish tend to stay away from the back wall so this wouldn't work if it was too overly crowded. But it has stabilized my temps and prevented overheating. Hope that helps

Chances are we won't need one for the rest of the year but things to look at for the future.

It's now 23 deg C in the house. I'm almost cold :lol:

East Midlands here...much much cooler and far more comfortable, we've had a lovely breeze blowing as well thank goodness! We just need a bit of rain now 🙏 last night was unbearable but the wet towel trick again worked a treat. The house is definitely feeling warmer than outside, not surprising as our housing is designed to hold in the heat...here's to hoping for a few more cooler days👍🏻

here in Northeast US, temps will be in the mid 90s for 4 days in a row which qualifies as a heat wave. I have AC in two rooms and the basement is usually cool so we'll survive.

Last edited:
SE Texas

Attachments

• weather.jpg
    weather.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 17
Temperature in most rooms in my house (except the air conditioned 2 rooms) is presently around 85 degrees. But at night the outside temp drops to around 70. I have a powerful window fan mounted in a basement window. At night I have it exhaust air at highest setting and I open upstairs windows. The 70 degree outside air thus enters the upstairs rooms to help cool the house and get ready for the next 90 plus degree day.

Last edited:
I am sat sweating buckets and thats with the windows open....granted I did have the tumble dryer on this morning but its not dissipated the heat even 5 hours after finishing.

I am desperate for it to rain and be the usual wet and miserable...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back