*Urgent* Help Weatherizing My Fish/Tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Haha... I have had mine for about 20 years, and I am a knitter, so of course I knitted a cozy! They can burn you if you do not have a cover.
W/out going into too much detail, I remember as kids, we'd sometimes get constipated, and Mom would get the hot water bottle and...um....you know...yeah, that's my memory of them :lol:

I live out in the middle of nowhere, if that answers your question... my closest neighbor is 2 miles away.

Wouldn't catching all the fish and moving them be super stressful? I would like to have them all stay in their tanks...

Rural area may be better off than old city neighborhoods were power lines run behind the houses. Now if a tree knocks down the line running to your house, it could be a long wait.

Personally, I would just get any blanket or sleeping bag ready to cover the tanks. Since you will have the fireplace going, if need just siphon water into a large pot and put it near the fireplace to warm up then dump it back into the tank.

I would not move the fish before the storm hits.

We just had an ice storm not too long back, drove to work without issue during and home after it.

Ya just drive slower, and pay attention. So, point of fact, you can indeed drive on a sheet of ice.

As to damage, yea, I have seen some of the storms you guys get. That lake effect is no joke. More than just ice or snow, but the winds that come off those lakes can be brutal. I'm quite sure the ice storms you get are far worse than any I have lived through here. I recall a few where our trucks came there to help over the years. Where I live, the last time the power was out, it lasted 45 minutes. The last time it was out longer than a day was over a decade ago, when straight line winds took out a good chunk of the city power grid. Took about a week before power came back.

If you're going to do the warming/dumping of water into the tank, I would suggest paying close attention to the tank temp. If you go dumping water that is even a few degrees over tank temp, the sudden change could cause issues, especially if a fish gets caught swimming by, as they often.do when water is being added. By few degrees I mean 5 or.more....one or 2 won't matter, as in nature storms trigger swings at the surface all the time.

Now they are preparing us for snow and 18F temps. In Southeast Texas! I always cover my pond with 3/4 “ foam board on cold nights and cover with blankets. I have a de-icer that I’ll put in too. This only happens about once a decade here.

Attachments

• 720DC70D-9618-4EF1-8E36-00A91C56DE5A.jpeg
    720DC70D-9618-4EF1-8E36-00A91C56DE5A.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 68
Hey guys.

Power went out for about 14 hours today (went out at 4:00 AM and it just came back on). All of the fish are ok.

I used the blanket technique and it seemed to work alright.

I did fry one of my filters though. Thought it may be clogged, but I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it, and it still doesn’t work. :(

The roads are ok up here, but the gravel is super click. Luckily we have a 4-wheel drive truck.

Hey guys.

Power went out for about 14 hours today (went out at 4:00 AM and it just came back on). All of the fish are ok.

I used the blanket technique and it seemed to work alright.

I did fry one of my filters though. Thought it may be clogged, but I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it, and it still doesn’t work. :(

The roads are ok up here, but the gravel is super click. Luckily we have a 4-wheel drive truck.
You guys stay safe...did you break out the air pumps?

Now they are preparing us for snow and 18F temps. In Southeast Texas! I always cover my pond with 3/4 “ foam board on cold nights and cover with blankets. I have a de-icer that I’ll put in too. This only happens about once a decade here.
Hey, I didn't know you lived down here!...I'm near Beaumont
Yeah, weather early next week is going to be dicey for us, as well...folks down here don't usually deal with this.

You guys stay safe...did you break out the air pumps?
Thank you! Nope, never have to. Everyone is healthy, just a little rattled.

We have a fire running now and it’s super warm.

A tree fell on my dad truck, so we were chopping that up with the chainsaw. (Luckily it was alright) We also went the whole length of our road to make sure there were no other fallen trees in the way.

Other than that we are going to stay inside. I’m just thankful the power is back on!

*The filter is working again! It kicked back on after about 5 minutes. :)*

Hey, I didn't know you lived down here!...I'm near Beaumont
Yeah, weather early next week is going to be dicey for us, as well...folks down here don't usually deal with this.

Yep, I live in Pearland/Friendswood area. Small world! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back